Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Gardens...........

Spanish Gardens...........

Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

cindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant futurecindyp has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spanish Gardens...........

[QUOTE=Arco-Iris]We saw lime trees the year before last and said "later" and then couldn't find one. We're still looking so anyone who finds a source, can you post please.

QUOTE]
Try El Tejar on the Conil road as described above. We got our lime tree about 4 weeks ago - couldn't see them when I was looking for them - they are tucked behind the various oranges and lemons and kumquats but when I asked, the assistant dived into the middle somewhere and found them - there were plenty - at least 30 lime trees when I was there so they can't have all gone yet..... they have all sorts of citrus varieties, it's lovely.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=cindyp]
Originally Posted by Arco-Iris
We saw lime trees the year before last and said "later" and then couldn't find one. We're still looking so anyone who finds a source, can you post please.

QUOTE]
Try El Tejar on the Conil road as described above. We got our lime tree about 4 weeks ago - couldn't see them when I was looking for them - they are tucked behind the various oranges and lemons and kumquats but when I asked, the assistant dived into the middle somewhere and found them - there were plenty - at least 30 lime trees when I was there so they can't have all gone yet..... they have all sorts of citrus varieties, it's lovely.
Thanks CindyP. Will visit soon - lime curd is also delicious.

Sorry, Susique - don't know where to get the gramond turf. I'll ask around and post back if successful.

It's been perfect gardening weather today - Tshirt from mid-day - leaving that satisfying physical tiredness that comes from more beautifying of the environment.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:55 am
BE Enthusiast

un-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud ofun-mundo has much to be proud of

Limes seem remarkably difficult to source in Spain, I've found them in Carrefour and very occasionally in our local market, but there's no reason they shouldn't be grown extensively - a friend has a working finca and grows them, but on the whole the Spanish seem to look at you a bit askance if you ask for them in shops. It's a pity because they are very popular in the UK and I'd have thought it could be a profitable line in exports for the country.
Old Mar 7th 2006, 8:20 pm
Not Junior but not Senior

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Cindy and everyone else thanks for all the information. Seems like anyone wanting to start a gardening club in Chiclana would have no shortage of members swapping notes, info, cuttings and jams (hint hint).
Lidl have a battery powered timer on sale here for £12.99, but as I am not certain about fittings, I am not going to buy and get stuck with a dud. My list of trees gets longer ....limes, apricots,peaches,oranges, now kiwi fruits. Anyone tried Guavas or are the winters too cool ??
Old Mar 7th 2006, 9:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Hi poollounger,

Have just checked my Lidl paper and yes as you say the description given for the Timer is 3/4 inch.

I have been outside and checked my standard outdoor tap here in MK UK and the thread diameter is 1 inch. This I think is described in the plumbers vernacular as a 3/4 "bib tap" and the standard plastic hose clip together fittings first screw onto the tap and then clip the hose on just as in the Lidl pictures. You can get and I have got in my garage various reducers and expanders for the screw fitting so I am sure that there must be a continental fit one. That is if in fact it is any different from the UK sizes.

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by poollounger
Cindy and everyone else thanks for all the information. Seems like anyone wanting to start a gardening club in Chiclana would have no shortage of members swapping notes, info, cuttings and jams (hint hint).
Lidl have a battery powered timer on sale here for £12.99, but as I am not certain about fittings, I am not going to buy and get stuck with a dud. My list of trees gets longer ....limes, apricots,peaches,oranges, now kiwi fruits. Anyone tried Guavas or are the winters too cool ??
Old Mar 7th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Nige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud ofNige has much to be proud of

Irrigation/watering system is the first thing to do (obviously) before any planting. At least that's what Michael Harvey told me when I visited and stayed in his very nice cortijo just inland from near Sotogrande. His gardens are an inspiration. He showed me some 'before and after' photos ! He runs a nursery and keeps many plants and trees.
http://www.andalucia.com/gardens/papudo/home.htm
Old Mar 8th 2006, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

NicCol is on a distinguished road

I have seen avocado trees and pomegranate around and about. How easy are these to grow? Would you recommend them at all?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

Originally Posted by NicCol
I have seen avocado trees and pomegranate around and about. How easy are these to grow? Would you recommend them at all?
I don't know about avocados though I am going to try to grow them as I love them, if I can't get a mature plant I'll just have to grow it from the stone. As for pomegranates....they must be pretty hardy and easy to grow as they are dotted all around the bottom of our land near the dry riverbed. The fruit often rot or is eaten by birds, as they are so plentiful around our parts. We've seen bushes laden down with massive fruit on the roadside and no one bothers with them.
Mary
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:41 am

poollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to beholdpoollounger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Hi poollounger,

Have just checked my Lidl paper and yes as you say the description given for the Timer is 3/4 inch.

I have been outside and checked my standard outdoor tap here in MK UK and the thread diameter is 1 inch. This I think is described in the plumbers vernacular as a 3/4 "bib tap" and the standard plastic hose clip together fittings first screw onto the tap and then clip the hose on just as in the Lidl pictures. You can get and I have got in my garage various reducers and expanders for the screw fitting so I am sure that there must be a continental fit one. That is if in fact it is any different from the UK sizes.

Regards,

John.
Thanks John...still house bound with this nasty flu, so may not get there in time, but will have a look when I can.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:48 am

[QUOTE=maryg]I don't know about avocados though I am going to try to grow them as I love them, if I can't get a mature plant I'll just have to grow it from the stone. As for pomegranates....they must be pretty hardy and easy to grow as they are dotted all around the bottom of our land near the dry riverbed. The fruit often rot or is eaten by birds, as they are so plentiful around our parts. We've seen bushes laden down with massive fruit on the roadside and no one bothers with them.
Mary[/QUOTE
Sad isn't it when fruit rots and goes to waste. I remember last October when we completed, the last of our plums were going, and we were greedily eating them and pressing them on to our Spanish friend. Pomegranates and Avocados ? Now there's an idea....what about papayas ?? googling on mangos etc brought up some interesting sites. Of course this could all be hallucinations brought on by a combination of flu, winter and Spanish deprivation :scared: :scared:
Old Mar 8th 2006, 2:57 am

Originally Posted by Nige
Irrigation/watering system is the first thing to do (obviously) before any planting. At least that's what Michael Harvey told me when I visited and stayed in his very nice cortijo just inland from near Sotogrande. His gardens are an inspiration. He showed me some 'before and after' photos ! He runs a nursery and keeps many plants and trees.
http://www.andalucia.com/gardens/papudo/home.htm
It looks beautiful Nige....may try and visit in June as we have elderly parents joing us via a flight to Gibraltar. Does he sell plants as well?? makes me wistful for the cortijo we missed out on near Moron.......
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

maryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nicemaryg is just really nice

[/QUOTE
Sad isn't it when fruit rots and goes to waste. I remember last October when we completed, the last of our plums were going, and we were greedily eating them and pressing them on to our Spanish friend. Pomegranates and Avocados ? Now there's an idea....what about papayas ?? googling on mangos etc brought up some interesting sites. Of course this could all be hallucinations brought on by a combination of flu, winter and Spanish deprivation :scared: :scared:[/QUOTE]

LOL we were the same! Picking the pomegranates, the almonds, pears, grapes, lemons....anything that could be eaten....trouble is our Spanish neighbours have plenty of their own so what we can't give away or bring home goes to waste.(I even saved the almond shells to burn on the stove ) Hopefully this years crops won't be wasted as we'll be there to make good use of them. Oh, and we did get some of our olives picked and pressed so it's not all bad!
When will you move over? My husband is awaiting his redundancy then we can tart up our house here in UK and sell it quickly......then the scarey bit starts!!!!!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Gardens...........

Hi poollounger,

Called in Lidl for fruit and veg and had a quick look at the timers, all the battery powered ones had gone but the clockwork one was still there and it had the double thread where you can remove the inner one at 3/4 inch to leave the outer one at 1 inch.

So if you can get one I am sure you can make it fit. Hope the virus gets better soon I know my bug made me feel dreadful so good health.

Regards,

John.

Originally Posted by poollounger
Thanks John...still house bound with this nasty flu, so may not get there in time, but will have a look when I can.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Arco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond reputeArco-Iris has a reputation beyond repute

What a beautiful place, Nige. Well worth a visit I think.

Susique - rushed out this morning and got two good sized limes trees. Thanks for the tip. We find limes in all our supermercados except Mercadona. They all come from Brazil. It'll be great eventually to have our home grown.

Don't worry about not being able to munch your way through all your fruit....what drops down puts nutrients back in the ground. If you've time though, how about laying down plums, peaches, nectarines in brandy or white rum syrup for winter time. I do these every year - Nigella Lawson has a lot to answer for!

You can also get a nice syrup from the pomegranates, though haven't tried yet to make it myself. Pomegranate on a bed of rocket, topped with goats or fetta cheese and a light dressing - estupendo.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by maryg
[/QUOTE
Sad isn't it when fruit rots and goes to waste. I remember last October when we completed, the last of our plums were going, and we were greedily eating them and pressing them on to our Spanish friend. Pomegranates and Avocados ? Now there's an idea....what about papayas ?? googling on mangos etc brought up some interesting sites. Of course this could all be hallucinations brought on by a combination of flu, winter and Spanish deprivation :scared: :scared:
LOL we were the same! Picking the pomegranates, the almonds, pears, grapes, lemons....anything that could be eaten....trouble is our Spanish neighbours have plenty of their own so what we can't give away or bring home goes to waste.(I even saved the almond shells to burn on the stove ) Hopefully this years crops won't be wasted as we'll be there to make good use of them. Oh, and we did get some of our olives picked and pressed so it's not all bad!
When will you move over? My husband is awaiting his redundancy then we can tart up our house here in UK and sell it quickly......then the scarey bit starts!!!!![/QUOTE]
Have no plans to move permanently at the moment. I work flexi hours so plan to try and spend more and more time there subject to financial constrictions. Though I think I would always try and retain a base in Britain, even if only a studio flat. Lots of option floating around at the moment, almost too many. Just focusing on getting the house finished, then spending longer periods there and seeing how I feel. My life is unconventional enough already without rushing into major decisions..

Last edited by poollounger; Mar 8th 2006 at 4:38 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.