Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Electrician or English Confused

Spanish Electrician or English Confused

Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:43 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Electrician or English Confused

Originally Posted by heath1974
I think someone mentioned earlier in the thread, that most people wouldn't employ an unregistered Spanish (or whatever nationality) electrician in the UK. .
That would be me

There are a variety of different qualifications for electricians in the UK, many of us do not know what would be an acceptable standard appropriate for a given scope of work in the UK,
Electrical Qualifications can be confusing for practising electricians
see here http://www.electricalqualifications.com/.

I guess that may be why part P regs were introduced? http://www.elecsa.co.uk/partp.aspx

I would suggest many spaniards would be equaly ignorant of the appropriate spanish qualifications.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 2:59 pm
Just Joined

wedgehed is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

I am a fully qualified electrician in both the U.K. and Spain. In the UK I was recognised by NIC EIC and here in Spain I hold the Carné de instalador in the Valencian Region, it took me five and a half years to gain recognition with the Spanish authorities. The electrical regulations here in Spain are actually quite similar to that in the U.K. but the method of installation is very different.

One of the major differences between the two countries is that in the U.K. the trade of electrician is NOT regulated, where in Spain it is. I know some very good British sparks working over here; however if there are any that think they can simply install the same as they would in the U.K. will soon fall flat on their face as the regulating authorities simply will not accept it. And the electricity suppliers will just cut you off and ask for the correct paperwork to be issued.

Recently the authorities have started tightening up on things, in my opinion they have had their fingers burnt with all the well documented illegal properties that been built and subsequently knocked down
Old Oct 12th 2010, 3:03 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wedgehed
Hello,

I am a fully qualified electrician in both the U.K. and Spain. In the UK I was recognised by NIC EIC and here in Spain I hold the Carné de instalador in the Valencian Region, it took me five and a half years to gain recognition with the Spanish authorities. The electrical regulations here in Spain are actually quite similar to that in the U.K. but the method of installation is very different.

One of the major differences between the two countries is that in the U.K. the trade of electrician is NOT regulated, where in Spain it is. I know some very good British sparks working over here; however if there are any that think they can simply install the same as they would in the U.K. will soon fall flat on their face as the regulating authorities simply will not accept it. And the electricity suppliers will just cut you off and ask for the correct paperwork to be issued.

Recently the authorities have started tightening up on things, in my opinion they have had their fingers burnt with all the well documented illegal properties that been built and subsequently knocked down
Just for my information please, does having the Carné de instalador mean that you can 'sign off' boletins for cedulas (habitation licences)?
Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:12 pm
Just Joined

Yes I can sign boletin's, habitation license is a different matter and requires an architect
Old Oct 13th 2010, 5:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wedgehed
Yes I can sign boletin's, habitation license is a different matter and requires an architect
You certainly don't need an architect for an electrical installation but I guess you mean if you are doing a major reform, then an architect is required.

For example, I have another property that is very old and has only been partially rewired (no structural work of any kind). In order to get the bills in my name, I need a new boletin (which my electrician will supply).

I would then be able to apply for a cedula.

Why then would I need to employ an architect? What would he actually do?
Old Oct 13th 2010, 7:01 am
Just Joined

A cedula/ habitation license is not just to do with the electrical installation but the whole construction of the building. A boletin is a safety certificate issued by the installer of the electrics.

An architect may be required if the building does not match the deeds, I mention this as I know of many properties that have been altered and do not match the deeds hence require an architect to re-draw the plans. If your deeds match what you have in the property there is no need for an architect.
Old Oct 14th 2010, 2:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I will stand corrected but I thought it was now illegal not to use a qualified electrician, something to do with EC regulations?
The EU are trying to introduce wiring standards but last I heard the Brits keep rejecting them because they say the UK electrical standards are superior and safer.

Jim