Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Electrical Wiring

Spanish Electrical Wiring

Old Mar 12th 2018, 12:35 pm
Just Joined

Bad Leg is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Spanish Electrical Wiring

I live in a 70's four bedroom apartment in Gandia. It is mostly original and I want to renovate soon (on a very limited budget) starting with the Kitchen. But I've just checked the electrical circuits and I'm confused. I've rewired a couple of houses in Canada and the radial system there and straightforward electrical code made for easy work (I got a certified electrician in to sign off). But my Spanish is very basic and the codes, equipment and the wiring are beyond me. I can move outlets but that's about all. My question is this. We have a 5.75 kW supply and two circuits. The Kitchen has four outlets on one circuit and the rest of the apartment is on the other circuit! That's 39 devices on the second circuit including the air-conditioner (broken), the water heater, washing machine, and heaters! Isn't this crazy?
Attached Thumbnails Spanish Electrical Wiring-electrical-plan.jpg  
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

bxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond reputebxpuser24710519 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Electrical Wiring

Sounds about the same daft ideas as this place. The lights and ( some) sockets on the main living level are connected the front door entry system which if trips sets of the ( continuous buzzer) so during wet weather I have to unplug the fridge/freezer from the wall in the kitchen , then plug into a socket on the wall .. in the kitchen which does work. Then I have to throw the switch in the fuse box so the electric does not trip whole box.... still with me hahahah This actually stops the washing machine from being used which is down and floor in the garage. Oh the wonders of weird connections !
Old Mar 12th 2018, 1:31 pm
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

I would say that you ought to create some more 'circuits.

The air conditioner should be on a direct feed from the 'fuse board' with a 20 amp feed.
The water heater should also be on its own.

The washing machine and heaters can be on a separate circuit too.

Just my opinion - very easy to achieve though.
Old Mar 12th 2018, 5:38 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

The regulations in Spain are different to what we are used to in UK.

I would suggest you employ a qualified (Spanish) electrician.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:23 am
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

The best bit of advice came from missile - employ a qualified Spanish electrician!
It’s not crazy at all, as you are limited to your 25amp supply.. doesn’t matter how many curcuits you have. The B curcuit, since it includes the utility room probably has, I would guess (hope lol) a 20amp breaker and capable wiring. These flats come from an age when people used (and still do) gas bottles for the cooker and portable heater... Now a days you switch on the electric kettle, with an electric heater/or washing machine and the lights on or a hair dryer going and the whole lot trips.... It’s not your wiring, it’s the supply limit. Extra circuits isn’t really going to help when the supply is 5.5-5.75kw.

Last edited by Smithy73; Mar 13th 2018 at 1:50 am.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 6:57 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Smithy73
Extra circuits isn’t really going to help when the supply is 5.5-5.75kw.
I certainly agree about employing an expert.

However, I disagree about extra circuits - the load needs to be balanced! I also thought heavy usage devices like aircon units had to be on their own circuit and their own breaker to meet the regulations.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Only Brits know how to do electrical wiring ! It is our duty to conquer the world and force everyone to do things our way, the right way !

People actually believe that !
Old Mar 13th 2018, 7:48 am
Banned

amideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond reputeamideislas has a reputation beyond repute

The regulations here are pretty much the same as anywhere else in the EU. New builds implement pretty much the same electrical standards as say, Germany.

But that wasn't always the case, and older builds often have limited infrastructure. In many cases, the infrasructure is simply inadequate to meet current demands.

Plus, the pricing structure of electricity in Spain encourages installing low capacity infrastructure (i.e., 2kw service is much cheaper than 10kw). So, if your home was wired for 2kw service, when you want, say, air conditioning, many find that their entire infrastructure is inadequate to support it. Yet some will install it anyway... And then they're stuck with a choice of either running air conditioning or "the rest of the stuff in the house", but not both.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 12:30 pm
Forum Regular

Smithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond reputeSmithy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snikpoh
I disagree about extra circuits - the load needs to be balanced!
With a radial curcuit it already is!

The main thing is, this flat is 40 years old. If the wiring is original you would be well advised to get it rewired, using only a Spanish qualified electrician.

You are still limited too your 25amps supply though
Old Mar 13th 2018, 1:26 pm
Just Joined

Bad Leg is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm no electrician but radial circuits radiate from the panel so the number of devices on each circuit is limited by the maximum available load. Each circuit will have different loads imposed. Aren't you thinking of the British ring main design?

Anyway, thanks to all. As expected I need an upgraded service with additional circuits. Do Iberdrola install this new feed from the electrical room downstairs to my panel or can a private contractor do this?

Thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:50 pm
Retired and loving it!

Originally Posted by Bad Leg
I'm no electrician but radial circuits radiate from the panel so the number of devices on each circuit is limited by the maximum available load. Each circuit will have different loads imposed. Aren't you thinking of the British ring main design?

Anyway, thanks to all. As expected I need an upgraded service with additional circuits. Do Iberdrola install this new feed from the electrical room downstairs to my panel or can a private contractor do this?

Thanks.
I absolutely agree.

My (Spanish) electrician agrees with me about have to 'balance' the circuits and adding more breakers - just saying ;-)
Old Mar 13th 2018, 2:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

Just for information my first property in Spain a duplex, everything below waist level on the lower floor was 220 volts whilst everything above that both floors was 110 volts.
My second property was 3 phase at 110 per phase.
Old Mar 13th 2018, 9:32 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bad Leg

Thanks.
A private contractor can do anything after the meter. Please make sure he is qualified, there are many cowboys > ex pat brickie's labourer in Bolton turned master builder in Benidorm