Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Old Dec 17th 2012, 4:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Just thought I would share my experience today of renewing my Spanish driving licence.
Having received a reminder from my local Centro – medico Psicotecnico I went this afternoon for my appointment saw a doctor (few basic questions on my health and an eye test) and then the reactions test using an electronic gizmo I was declared fit to continue driving.
The receptionist took my picture digitally and I asked them to process the renewal (saving me a trip to Alicante trafico office) so now 64,90€ lighter I await my new DL arriving via the post and should this not happen before my March expiry date I have a receipt from the centre to cover me.
AS this was a renewal at a centre I had used before I did not need any papers except my exisiting DL.
The new DL will last until I am 65 and so I will get 8 years out of it. Which is better than the current 5 I had on my current DL.
The DGT link for the centres is here
http://www.dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_...e%20solicitar?
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond reputePocaloca has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Good to hear a story of something working efficiently!
Old Dec 17th 2012, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Well so far, just hope the DL appears one day soon! But yes I think this reorganisation of these centres to be able to process renewals is a good move.

For anyone wishing to exchange - I understand you will need to take the health test side of things BUT I don't think the centres can process the exchanges only renewals.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:16 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I renewed mine at a centre and found it excellent. My eyesight test proved that I needed glasses for driving but the doctor said that she would not put that down as she believed me when I said that I would sort it out. They told me that the new licence would take a while to come but it arrived within a week or ten days. Will always do it that way because it is in the next town.

Rosemary
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wow I am amazed at the rapid delivery time - I have until mid March so I am relaxed. Fortunately I have a post address with daily deliveries I understand from friends on urbanisations where delivery can be a bit hit and miss that they have opted to collect from the Trafico office.
Old Dec 17th 2012, 6:47 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

I was amazed when it arrived too and when I told my friend she did not believe me and insisted that the receptionist at the centre had said that it might take 2 months. So if he said it would take 2 months there was no way that it would come sooner so therefore I was seeing things, made me laugh.

Rosemary
Old Dec 18th 2012, 12:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Originally Posted by spainrico
Just thought I would share my experience today of renewing my Spanish driving licence.
Having received a reminder from my local Centro – medico Psicotecnico I went this afternoon for my appointment saw a doctor (few basic questions on my health and an eye test) and then the reactions test using an electronic gizmo I was declared fit to continue driving.
The receptionist took my picture digitally and I asked them to process the renewal (saving me a trip to Alicante trafico office) so now 64,90€ lighter I await my new DL arriving via the post and should this not happen before my March expiry date I have a receipt from the centre to cover me.
AS this was a renewal at a centre I had used before I did not need any papers except my exisiting DL.
The new DL will last until I am 65 and so I will get 8 years out of it. Which is better than the current 5 I had on my current DL.
We did the same process to renew ours in Andalucia and were expecting to pay a visit to the Trafico in Malaga but the clinic sent the paperwork off for us with our test results and we received our new licences. When it works the system is great and after all the years in Spain we still get excited about a good result.
I remember going out and celebrating when we got our first Residencias nearly thirty years ago and thinking about doing the same thing in England when we got our TV Licence...
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Not bad but I `m sticking with my UK one
Old Dec 18th 2012, 10:28 am
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Spanish Driving Licence Renewal

Glad to hear someone is happy.
I tried to change my UK one for a spanish one in August and I am still waiting although trafico assured me I would receive this within weeks.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

For renewals I think it is wise to start 3 months before expiry date.

Exchanges involve more processing and so it is probably wise to allow longer, especially if the original has expired.

I would assume the efficiency of the trafico offices may vary and of course some will have a vastly higher amount of transactions to process.

One thing - during my process yesterday I was asked twice how many points I had, as it happens I have the maximum 15, but am now wondering what was behind the question.

If you are unsure you can check here
http://dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_virt...so_por_puntos/

First time you need to enter NIE etc.
Old Dec 18th 2012, 2:36 pm

For renewals I think it is wise to start 3 months before expiry date.Exchanges involve more processing and so it is probably wise to allow longer, especially if the original has expired.

I would assume the efficiency of the trafico offices may vary and of course some will have a vastly higher amount of transactions to process.

One thing - during my process yesterday I was asked twice how many points I had, as it happens I have the maximum 15, but am now wondering what was behind the question.

If you are unsure you can check here
http://dgt.es/portal/es/oficina_virt...so_por_puntos/

First time you need to enter NIE etc.
I agree with you especially as I did not manage to go for mine until the last minute due to my husbands hospital admissions and 24 hour nursing care. Due to the lateness of going for it I was well stressed and worried sick that it would not be renewed because I desperately needed to maintain my licence for the dashes to urgencias.

Rosemary
Old Dec 18th 2012, 9:46 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

For renewals I think it is wise to start 3 months before expiry date. .
Not so. I can also confirm that with the new system two weeks is normal.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That was the case when my husband renewed his earlier this year.
Old Dec 19th 2012, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

Ex-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond reputeEx-pat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
I agree, when we exchanged my OH's licence it took just 2 weeks for the new one to return.

and I wait, and wait, and wait................
Old Dec 19th 2012, 3:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Well if the process is completed in around 2 weeks that is great. But I wonder why the centre's renewal reminder appeared 3 months prior to expiry unless they allow plenty of time for people to react.

Vamos a ver!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.