Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson V

Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson V

Old May 17th 2007, 6:25 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson V

This is question 5) of a series of tests to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene pool.
This time the test does not involve sex. I think...

You are probably familiar with the Spanish "Código de Circulación", the equivalent to the UK's Highway Code. I suggest you read it if you haven't. It's a very funny book. But, if you follow its rules you'll reduce considerably your life span. To make it more fun they come up with a new code as soon as you manage to master the old one. For example, the way to handle roundabouts has changed recently so now we have drivers using the old rules crashing into drivers following the new rules. That probably makes repair shop owners very happy! They might be the ones writing the norms.

What's the solution? Well one is to be as bold and as fast as a British you could could be and you'll be OK. Another is to drive an old big rusty mean-looking car which will give you always the right of way. A better approach is to do what Spanish drivers - a sensible bunch - do: They follow their own driving rules.

Today's test concerns these "Practical Driving Rules" and it questions your observation skills and your own adaptation ability: an excellent way to measure your genes' resiliency.

Question 5)

a) What is the meaning of a round sign with the number 120 inside? (answer TRUE OR FALSE)

1) Obviously, it means that the maximum speed allowed is 120 Kmh.

2) It means that the maximum speed is 144 Kmh in flat or uphill terrain and 156 Kmh going downhill.

3) It means you could drive at any speed as long as you keep the distance with the car ahead of you under 120 cm.

b) Choose the best answer among the following choices:

1) A stop is an hexagonal sign where you have to come to a complete stop.

2) A stop is an hexagonal sign where you have to come to a complete stop only if there is a policeman nearby.

3) A stop is an hexagonal sign where it's very dangerous to stop if you are being followed by a big car one meter behind you.

4) Both 2 and 3 are correct.

c) Are the following statements about zebra crossings TRUE or FALSE?

1) Zebra crossings are areas where cars must give way when a pedestrian has moved onto the crossing.

2) Zebra crossings are areas of the road, sometimes visible, dividing the road in two zones: one where drivers should swerve cars to avoid hitting pedestrians and another where pedestrians should swerve to avoid hitting cars.

3) Pedestrians should use zebra crossings - or any other kind of crossings - if they are within 2 meters of one, otherwise they are allowed to cross the road as long as they follow rule 2.

4) Motorbikes may use zebra crossings and in this particular case should be considered pedestrians.

5) 2, 3 and 4 are TRUE.

Please, post your answers. I'll post the right answers... mañana!
Again, please, try not to rely on British rules or British logic.

My dog ate the previous scores but we all remember that MnM, Crispygirl and jdr (the moderator) are on top of the class, so far.

You can always enroll in this course...
Old May 17th 2007, 6:59 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson V

Originally Posted by gudes
This is question 5) of a series of tests to find out if your genes have any chances of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene pool.

You are probably familiar with the Spanish "Código de Circulación", the equivalent to the UK's Highway Code. I suggest you read it if you haven't. It's a very funny book. But, if you follow its rules you'll reduce considerably your life span. To make it more fun they come up with a new code as soon as you manage to master the old one. For example, the way to handle roundabouts has changed recently so now we have drivers using the old rules crashing into drivers following the new rules. That probably makes repair shop owners very happy! They might be the ones writing the norms.

What's the solution? Well one is to be as bold and as fast as a British you could could be and you'll be OK. Another is to drive an old big rusty mean-looking car which will give you always the right of way. A better approach is to do what Spanish drivers - a sensible bunch - do: They follow their own driving rules.

Today's test concerns these "Practical Driving Rules" and it questions your observation skills and your own adaptation ability: an excellent way to measure your genes' resiliency.

Question 5)

a) What is the meaning of a round sign with the number 120 inside? (answer TRUE OR FALSE)

2) It means that the maximum speed is 144 Kmh in flat or uphill terrain and 156 Kmh going downhill.

3) It means you could drive at any speed as long as you keep the distance with the car ahead of you under 120 cm.

2) A stop is an hexagonal sign where you have to come to a complete stop only if there is a policeman nearby.

3) A stop is an hexagonal sign where it's very dangerous to stop if you are being followed by a big car one meter behind you.

1) Zebra crossings are areas where cars must give way when a pedestrian has moved onto the crossing.

2) Zebra crossings are areas of the road, sometimes visible, dividing the road in two zones: one where drivers should swerve cars to avoid hitting pedestrians and another where pedestrians should swerve to avoid hitting cars.

3) Pedestrians should use zebra crossings - or any other kind of crossings - if they are within 2 meters of one, otherwise they are allowed to cross the road as long as they follow rule 2.

4) Motorbikes may use zebra crossings and in this particular case should be considered pedestrians.

5) 2, 3 and 4 are TRUE.

My dog ate the previous scores but we all remember that MnM, Crispygirl and jdr (the moderator) are on top of the class, so far.

False.

True.

True.

I have pm`d Manuel to ask him what stop means.

Old May 17th 2007, 7:55 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Question 5)

5) 2, 3 and 4 are TRUE.

Sorry but I think that you missed the correct answer off all of the questions because zebra crossings, roundabouts and stop signs are all the most important designated parking areas in Spain.

Rosemary
Old May 17th 2007, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

True answers to questions are numbers 3, 3, and 5
and Rosemary's answer, of course.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:53 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

A: 1. False 2. False 3. True

B: 4. = 2 and 3 are correct

C: 5. = 2, 3, and 4 are all true

I had no help from Pepe as he was busy sitting the theory driving test for his brother, but I have spoken with his brother (Paco) who assures me that these are the right answers.
Old May 17th 2007, 8:54 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by The Oddities
Sorry but I think that you missed the correct answer off all of the questions because zebra crossings, roundabouts and stop signs are all the most important designated parking areas in Spain.

Rosemary
so true...
Old May 17th 2007, 9:55 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Question 5)

5) 2, 3 and 4 are TRUE.

5a,1, False
2, False
3, True

b, 4 is correct.

c
1, False
2, True
3, True
4, True.
But I do think you cheated and gave us the answers to b, and c.
Old May 18th 2007, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

I am impressed. Comparing the results from the first lesson and from this one I can already see that you've started to think like a local. Congratulations!

Although all all you - including the top of the class - got carried away with question a) which is not a easy one... Please read the answer below and you might be able to drive as fast as you like without being bothered by the police.

Yes... question c,5 should have been written differently. And yes as "The Oddities" points out you can pretty much park anywhere... as long as you annoy the rest of drivers.

Answers:

a) 1) FALSE. You must be kidding. See next answer.

2) TRUE. The Spanish police has made public that speed radars are adjusted to detect speeds over 132 Kmh. It makes sense: if they'd set the radars to 120 Kmh they would be stopping every single car and that just can't be done! The speedometer in most cars, by design, indicates 6 Kmh over real speed. Besides that your speedometer has an error of around 5% depending on temperature, humidity, road type. Any errors, as usual, work in your favor.

If you do the numbers you'll find out that you could safely set your cruise control to 144 Kmh. Finally, a car on cruise control at 144 Kmh in flat terrain will likely reach 156 Kmh downhill. You need to remember these numbers if stopped by the police going downhill at this speed.

3) FALSE: No, in Spain it's not mandatory to follow the previous car within 120 cm. It's just common practice, but not mandatory. If you play this fun game try to be the car behind. It's much safer.

b) The correct answer is 4: Both 2 and 3 are correct. Notice that 1) could be fatal in some cases.

c) 1) FALSE. You can't be serious! It has been proved, over and over, that pedestrians mistakenly trusting this rule have a very short life span.

5) TRUE. 2, 3 and 4 are all TRUE.

If you haven't got any answers right so far don't get discouraged. Maybe you are still too British: you need to pay extra attention in class.