Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson III

Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson III

Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:27 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough
Default Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson III

This is question 3) of a series of tests to find out if your genes have any chance of being part of the already complicated Spanish gene pool.

Today´s problem is:

3) It's time for you to renew your Spanish driving license. So you drive down to the local police station only to find out that there is a three block waiting line.

Question: What do you do?

a) - You wait in line for 8 hours, between a lady from Casablanca and a guy from Senegal, pretending - in the best British tradition - that you are just not there.

b) - You wait 5 minutes before giving up. You try the next day and do that for the next 2 weeks.

c) - You go home and call the police station to make an appointment.

d) - You forget about the $#%@&*! driving license and keep driving with the old one.

e) - You go home and call Pepe.

f) - I don't know Pepe.

g) - Yo go home and call the British embassy.

Before answering, review lessons I and II... and please, try not to use British logic: it just doesn't work here!!!

I'll give you the chance to post your answers before giving the correct one: "Mañana!" Let's play...

---------------------------------------------------------------------
These are the scores so far (out of 30 points and in no particular order):

- crispygirl - 4 points
- MnM - 5 points
- jdr - 3 points
- keithwalters - 3 points
- IntuitiveNipple - 3 points
- Bigbhuda69 - 1 point for attendance and a promising nickname.
- Ka Ora! - 1 point
- jjh - 2 points. She came late to class, but in Spain... blondes get an extra point.

You can still enroll in this course.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:34 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Culture Crash Course - Lesson III

None of them I have a UK licence and its legal till it runs out........... then I will give up driving and let the showfer take the wheel ;-)

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.

National licences may only carry an address from the country which issued that licence. We are therefore unable to re-issue your British licence with a foreign address. It is accepted that drivers who move to another part of the EC/EEA could be holding driving licences showing an incorrect address. This is permissible under the terms of the EC Directive on Driving Licences."

Above is from the free beer stickie post at the top that nobody reads !!!!!!

Last edited by jdr; Apr 1st 2007 at 9:47 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond reputeBigbhudda69 has a reputation beyond repute

I would firstly use C..phone the police station to make an appointment....but to see pepy..
Would then when aquainted use E...phone pepy....
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:45 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

i would go for c ...
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
i would go for c ...
They will tell you to queue from 7.30 and go away and take your turn, or words to that affect.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 9:58 pm
Forum Regular

gudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the roughgudes is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jdr
None of them I have a UK licence and its legal till it runs out........... then I will give up driving and let the showfer take the wheel ;-)

"Drivers who take up residence in another EC/EEA country no longer have to exchange their driving licence, but may continue to drive using their own national licence for as long as is remains valid. You should however check with the appropriate driving licensing authorities where you are now resident for information on any conditions that the host member state may stipulate.
Wow! Are you always this fast? Ok! Let's assume you do need one. After all this a test about skills and attitude, not knowledge.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

sunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to allsunnydee is a name known to all

I'd do a) but I'd have the other half on standby to bring me tapas, a glass of vino and a good book to read.
Oh and I could work on my Spanish whilst waiting.
Old Apr 1st 2007, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

IntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura aboutIntuitiveNipple has a spectacular aura about

I'd arrive at 7am and put a notice on the door:

"Cerrado. Vuelto por favor mañana"

Then I'd go have a good breakfast and saunter on back to find no queue about 8.30am
Old Apr 1st 2007, 11:38 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

I feel a visit from Pepe coming on........E
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:01 am
has got a huge member

keithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond reputekeithwalters has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple

Then I'd go have a good breakfast and saunter on back to find no queue about 8.30am
Best answer so far!!!

I´d go for E, assuming that Pepe is a gestor.

Continuing to drive on the old licence won´t work because the question is that you want to change your SPANISH licence, not British. So if you don´t change it, it expires and you are driving illegally,

If Pepe isn´t a gestor then I think I would just have to wait patiently in line - A.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:03 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crispygirl
I feel a visit from Pepe coming on........E
I'm with crispygirl.

This is almost a no brainer.......definite "E" here *lol*
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:05 am
MnM
luna~sea..its a lifestyle

MnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond reputeMnM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Best answer so far!!!

I´d go for E, assuming that Pepe is a gestor.

Continuing to drive on the old licence won´t work because the question is that you want to change your SPANISH licence, not British. So if you don´t change it, it expires and you are driving illegally,

If Pepe isn´t a gestor then I think I would just have to wait patiently in line - A.
Hi Keith,

Pepe is the local know it all/do it all kinda person and he's got eyes only for Crispygirl *lol*....but he will help others too for a small fee
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 7:28 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

Originally Posted by IntuitiveNipple

LOL....
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 8:04 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

O K, I would chose (A) I would be there though trying to improve my conversation in Spanish, although not for 8 hours, as they shut at 14.00.
Old Apr 2nd 2007, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Let's see what my textbook says...

Problem 3 - Answer:

a) WRONG! This approach gets you nowhere. At 2:00 PM the police station closes down for lunch and siesta and you are still two blocks away from the door. The only thing you get is a headache from the sun. You get no points with this answer: Patience is certainly a virtue everywhere... but only when combined with intelligence.

b) WRONG! But... this solution is better than a) since - even though you still don´t get anywhere - you avoid the headache and learn more about geography: with approach a) you only learn about Morocco and Senegal. You get 1 point, but - be careful! - persistence is a virtue until it becomes pigheadedness.

c) WRONG! This would be the best solution in any other country. But not in Spain, ah ah!. After 2 days trying, your call gets through. After 5 days you manage to talk to the right person. You explain your situation and ask for an appointment to renew your driving license. The person at the other end of the line laughs so loudly that you have to hang up. As with a) and b) you get nowhere and, although you don´t get the headache, you do get an extra 60 euro phone bill. If you have answered c) you should seriously question not if your genes are going to flourish in Spain but if you can survive here at all. Subtract 5 points from your current score and, please, pay more attention in class.

d) WRONG! But... this is not a bad solution, although somehow risky if you get involved in a serious accident. Add 2 points to your score just for being daring and having the right attitude. After all "Audaces fortuna juvat" <Fortune helps the bold> Virgil got it right!... Don't you think?

e) ABSOLUTELY!!! This is the right course of action. Remember Pepe from lesson one? The guy two of our own students wanted to ***g? Goooood!
I can see you've been paying attention to my classes. He knows everybody and he has - repeat with me - "CON...NEC...TIONS". Excellent! Really! In ten minutes he calls you back. The very next day you go to the police station and - voilà - you get a new driving license in 5 minutes. Increase your score by 10 points: your future in this country looks very bright.

f) SORRY! You haven't done your homework. Please, review lesson I. You lose 2 points.

g) SILLY! Even the British embassy suggests you should call Pepe. You lose 3 points.

If you haven't got any answers right so far don't get discouraged. Maybe you are still too British.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.