Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish cost of living still OK?

Spanish cost of living still OK?

Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish cost of living still OK?

Some stories about ex pats and how they are finding the cost of living.

What this doen't really highlight is that when we first started coming out here the r/ex was €1.36 ish, so although its low at €1.25 and has been as high as about €1.50, its not so hugely lower than it was when I first did my costings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7463741.stm
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:01 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish cost of living still OK?

What a quote under one photo, "I don't like Spanish food".

Personally we don't rely on the pound/Euro exchange so only the extra cost of living affects us.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Personally I'm taking the view,that I expect the cost of living to be the same as London,and if it turns out to be cheaper then its a welcome bonus
Might seem a little naive to some,but hopefully then I wont get many nasty surprises
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 8:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo
What a quote under one photo, "I don't like Spanish food".
On the next page, the full quote explains how she expects to pay more if she goes "to the English butchers and buys the imported food".

Like they don't sell pork chops and chicken breast in a Spanish butchers?
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:51 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twyntub
On the next page, the full quote explains how she expects to pay more if she goes "to the English butchers and buys the imported food".

Like they don't sell pork chops and chicken breast in a Spanish butchers?
Ahh but that would mean finding out what Pork Chop and chicken breast were in Spanish. If she was asking for chicken of course and mispronounced it, she could end up with a suprise
Old Jun 24th 2008, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

twyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond reputetwyntub has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If she was asking for chicken of course and mispronounced it, she could end up with a suprise
Old Jun 24th 2008, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

george43 will become famous soon enough

Good points. We used a Spanish butcher on our recent visits and got some lovely pork chops and chicken breasts at better than UK prices.
I am convinced that the cost of living in Spain is still about 20% below the UK.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:10 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by george43
Good points. We used a Spanish butcher on our recent visits and got some lovely pork chops and chicken breasts at better than UK prices.
I am convinced that the cost of living in Spain is still about 20% below the UK.
18 months ago it was around 30% in this area ...... inflation rises in both countries of course, but the main factor is the rate of exchange which makes a huge difference to many of us
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

lcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud oflcortez has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by george43
But this also raises the question of how far below GB's average wage,is the Spanish average wage?
If the cost of living in Spain is 20% below that of GB's,and the average wage in Spain (for those of us who need to work),is also 20% lower,then there is no material difference!

Does anyone know the percentage difference in salaries between Spain and GB?
I think average GB wage is about £25,000.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:42 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by lcortez
But this also raises the question of how far below GB's average wage,is the Spanish average wage?
If the cost of living in Spain is 20% below that of GB's,and the average wage in Spain (for those of us who need to work),is also 20% lower,then there is no material difference!

Does anyone know the percentage difference in salaries between Spain and GB?
I think average GB wage is about £25,000.
and the average wage here is about €15k. I was referring to my circumstances, whereas I earn in £ and dont work here in Spain.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 12:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Which is roughly 40% lower than GB's average wage,meaning the cost of living,in Spain, is actually higher for the average working person!
Old Jun 24th 2008, 1:23 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by lcortez
Which is roughly 40% lower than GB's average wage,meaning the cost of living,in Spain, is actually higher for the average working person!
Yes maybe, but as I said ..... not for me ... or indeed for for most who dont have to work here, i.e. who have retired
Old Jun 24th 2008, 2:18 pm
lic
Forum Regular

lic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nicelic is just really nice

Well if they do come back to the UK, they will get a shock with the Gas and Electric price hikes. At least in Spain you do not need your central heating or gas fire on in the late Spring and Summer.
Not to mention the cost of a glass of wine over here. If we did menu del dia over here I am sure it would work out a lot more expensive that the average 10 euros.
I love coming to Spain and think it is great VFM.
In 6 long years time me and Mrs Lic will be moving over, God willing. Until then will we have to visit as much as is possible.
Old Jun 24th 2008, 3:28 pm

poshnbucks has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Ahh but that would mean finding out what Pork Chop and chicken breast were in Spanish. If she was asking for chicken of course and mispronounced it, she could end up with a suprise

I was doing a bit of cottaging the other week mitzy thought I would mince down to my local gents I think the local queens must have misunderstood me as I ended up with chicken n chips and a side salad
Old Jun 26th 2008, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

billgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond reputebillgates has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lic
Well if they do come back to the UK, they will get a shock with the Gas and Electric price hikes. At least in Spain you do not need your central heating or gas fire on in the late Spring and Summer.
But the retired brits over here will still be claiming their winter fuel allowance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.