Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish citizenship/joint nationality

Spanish citizenship/joint nationality

Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spanish citizenship/joint nationality

Mention of citizenship in another thread reminded me I keep meaning to ask..... I know a number of children not necessarily born in Spain but becoming heavily involved at quite high levels in various sport, and who are being 'scouted' by the relevant Spanish teams (or their parents think it likely!). One even said they'd been told they could be helped get Spanish citizenship for their son.... can this happen if not born here? Can it happen if born here of British parents?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish citizenship/joint nationality

I dont know the full details, but I think that anyone in the EU can get Spanish nationality if they've lived here for 10 years. Or if your children were born here
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond reputefionamw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I dont know the full details, but I think that anyone in the EU can get Spanish nationality if they've lived here for 10 years. Or if your children were born here
I presume you mean the children can, if they were born here, rather than parents can if their children were born here?
So on the first point, if a 12 or 13 year old is looking good at football and is up for being chosen for a national team, that's not going to happen unless they were born here or moved here by the age of 3?
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fionamw
I presume you mean the children can, if they were born here, rather than parents can if their children were born here?
So on the first point, if a 12 or 13 year old is looking good at football and is up for being chosen for a national team, that's not going to happen unless they were born here or moved here by the age of 3?
Not necessarily. I think UEFA/FIFA have less strict rules. I think to play for a national football team it needs 5 years residency.

Top tip, if your son (or friend's son) is good at football then get them in one of the best Spanish football schools. Almost all the best professionals come through these. i.e. those of Barcelona, Madrid, Sporting Gijon, Real Betis, Sevilla, Real Sociedad, Bilbao.

If not in one of these by 14 then it may already be too late. Spanish football is all about technique

Last edited by cricketman; Apr 16th 2012 at 11:13 am.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 11:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Not necessarily. I think UEFA/FIFA have less strict rules. I think to play for a national football team it needs 5 years residency.

Top tip, if your son (or friend's son) is good at football then get them in one of the best Spanish football schools. Almost all the best professionals come through these. i.e. those of Barcelona, Madrid, Sporting Gijon, Real Betis, Sevilla, Real Sociedad, Bilbao.

If not in one of these by 14 then it may already be too late. Spanish football is all about technique
Yep....it's great watching the training techniques. But sadly no, it's not my son and it's not football, it's rugby or tennis! And in a friend's son's sake, Kung Fu

oh, and Malaga aren't doing any too badly at the moment, you know! don't suppose they've got a school though..........
Old Apr 16th 2012, 12:00 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Mention of citizenship in another thread reminded me I keep meaning to ask..... I know a number of children not necessarily born in Spain but becoming heavily involved at quite high levels in various sport, and who are being 'scouted' by the relevant Spanish teams (or their parents think it likely!). One even said they'd been told they could be helped get Spanish citizenship for their son.... can this happen if not born here? Can it happen if born here of British parents?
well if a South African who ran without shoes can get UK citizenship through a tenuous Grandparent link.............Would suggest if the kids are that good the club sponsoring them will do alot to smooth the way.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 1:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yep....it's great watching the training techniques. But sadly no, it's not my son and it's not football, it's rugby or tennis! And in a friend's son's sake, Kung Fu

oh, and Malaga aren't doing any too badly at the moment, you know! don't suppose they've got a school though..........
Malaga have a school too, but no track record. However, with the new investment from the Sheikh, hopefully they'll improve their youth teams

For tennis, you need to be Spanish federated, it only costs 35 euros per year. That way you become part of the official rankings and can participate in the national and regional tournaments. If you are one of the best, then you will get invited to the national school in Barcelona. This is one of (if not the best) tennis school in the world. To get to that level you will need to be part of a good local tennis club playing every day. One that has produced professionals before.

Spain isnt known for rugby. They play it a bit in the North and Madrid, being in the South would be a huge disadvantage

For Kung Fu, I have no idea!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Malaga have a school too, but no track record. However, with the new investment from the Sheikh, hopefully they'll improve their youth teams

For tennis, you need to be Spanish federated, it only costs 35 euros per year. That way you become part of the official rankings and can participate in the national and regional tournaments. If you are one of the best, then you will get invited to the national school in Barcelona. This is one of (if not the best) tennis school in the world. To get to that level you will need to be part of a good local tennis club playing every day. One that has produced professionals before.

Spain isnt known for rugby. They play it a bit in the North and Madrid, being in the South would be a huge disadvantage

For Kung Fu, I have no idea!
The good folks of the Andaluz Fed of Rugby might just put you in a maul for that comment! Actually the national championships are coming up in Valladolid 2nd weekend of May and there's a coachload of us going just from Malaga.......
Old Apr 16th 2012, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The good folks of the Andaluz Fed of Rugby might just put you in a maul for that comment! Actually the national championships are coming up in Valladolid 2nd weekend of May and there's a coachload of us going just from Malaga.......
I was a fly half in my day, you'd never have caught me in a maul!
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I was a fly half in my day, you'd never have caught me in a maul!

My 10 yo has been nominated virtually from his first training session as one of the three in the maul (it's pre-benjamines so they don't do all the adult stuff) and made one try last weekend and scored another..... great stuff for proud cheering parents!
That was at Guadiaro, at least four teams playing in the tournament, overwhelmingly Spanish. My OH (a prop in his day!) reckons Spain is looking to work its way into the 5/6/7/8 whatever it'll be nations like Italy did, from pretty much nowhere.
Old Apr 16th 2012, 4:42 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

I was a great spectator in my day......

memories of the baba's and Wales, have my grand slam memento's
Old Apr 17th 2012, 10:02 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Marbella seems to be doing ok.

El Marbella Rugby Club, campeón de Andalucía en cadete sub18. El equipo vuelve a coronarse campeón regional de la categoría, tras imponerse en la final al Cajasol Ciencias, por un claro 32 a 5.
Old Apr 17th 2012, 11:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Marbella seems to be doing ok.

El Marbella Rugby Club, campeón de Andalucía en cadete sub18. El equipo vuelve a coronarse campeón regional de la categoría, tras imponerse en la final al Cajasol Ciencias, por un claro 32 a 5.
Yes there are rugby clubs in Andalucia, I doubt they are that good though

There is only one Andalucian team in Spain's national rugby union league, Seville. Although Spain's professional players tend to play in the French leagues
Old Apr 17th 2012, 3:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes there are rugby clubs in Andalucia, I doubt they are that good though

There is only one Andalucian team in Spain's national rugby union league, Seville. Although Spain's professional players tend to play in the French leagues

Yes, yes you can discuss the adults but my point is that all of them (teams) and particularly Malaga are putting great efforts in to do seriously good grassroots () training with the littlies so they've got some bodies to work through the system. With the possible intention of getting the national squad going places a number of years down the line.