British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish Chocolate Vs British Chocolate (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-chocolate-vs-british-chocolate-711480/)

Mataroni Mar 30th 2011 6:32 pm

Spanish Chocolate Vs British Chocolate

Spain has some wonderful food and wine but why can't they get chocolate making right?

Even British chocolate sold here doesn't taste right!:confused:

anonimouse Mar 30th 2011 6:45 pm

Re: Spanish Chocolate Vs British Chocolate

Originally Posted by Mataroni (Post 9274876)
Spain has some wonderful food and wine but why can't they get chocolate making right?

Ha good one, I prefer British chocolate to any other even though I am told it's not actually really as good as it contains far less. I have noticed here in Hungary a Kitkat for instance tastes different, I'm sure it said made in Poland on the wrapper.

Lionda Mar 30th 2011 6:48 pm

Aahh but their choc chip croissants are very nice :p

jdr Mar 30th 2011 6:49 pm

You are joking right ?, you must be used to chocolate with no cocoa in it. :D

Rosemary Mar 30th 2011 6:57 pm

I think that the chocolate here is of a much higher quality than in Uk, mainly due to the higher quantity of cocoa in it I presume.

Rosemary

Rosemary Mar 30th 2011 7:11 pm

I have to agree with others, the Spanish chocolate is far superior to the British rubbish especially Cadburys, with it´s content it just manages to scrape though to be called chocolate. The odd thing is white "chocolate", it´s cocoa solids content is so low that strictly speaking not high enough to be called chocolate.
We are lucky in that we have a small chocolate factory just up the road from us, but then there is always Valor which knocks any large GB producer into a cocked hat.
Trouble is I can only have sin azucar now.

Graham

bil Mar 30th 2011 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9274994)
I have to agree with others, the Spanish chocolate is far superior to the British rubbish especially Cadburys, with it´s content it just manages to scrape though to be called chocolate. The odd thing is white "chocolate", it´s cocoa solids content is so low that strictly speaking not high enough to be called chocolate.
We are lucky in that we have a small chocolate factory just up the road from us, but then there is always Valor which knocks any large GB producer into a cocked hat.

Graham

Well, if you will carelessly mislay your pancreas, what can you expect? ;)

I like Lindt 70% or 74%. Trouble is, here it is often white with the cocoa butter efflorescing, and can taste very stale.

JLFS Mar 30th 2011 10:33 pm

british chocolate may be inferior in its cocoa content ( I dont know that it is, but it seems to be the consensus), but to my much abused tastebuds it tastes much better.

A big slab of Fruit and Nut, is for me, unbeatable.

megmet Mar 30th 2011 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9275478)
british chocolate may be inferior in its cocoa content ( I dont know that it is, but it seems to be the consensus), but to my much abused tastebuds it tastes much better.

A big slab of Fruit and Nut, is for me, unbeatable.

Got to agree with you there, I much prefer British chocolate... though my all time favourite is Bournville....simply delicious!

bil Mar 30th 2011 11:09 pm

When I was young, bournville plain was the dog's licky bits. Now, having climbed the ladder of addiction to the 70%, anything less than 70% is sickly.

As for those with a cocoa content below Bournville plain, that is just vegolate. It doesn't merit the term chocolate.

cricketman Mar 31st 2011 8:05 am

Originally Posted by The Oddities (Post 9274994)

Graham

Yep, valor is delicious, the best chocolate I've ever tasted. We buy it in slabs and also the cocoa powder to make hot chocolate.

British chocolate is mainly vegetable oils with little cocoa in.

Spain has a long history of making chocolate since they brought back cocoa from the Americas hundreds of years ao - I went to the Museu de Xocolat in Barcelona :). We often buy artesan bombones for people as gifts, although tbf I've not seen many shops like that in Andalucia. Plenty up north though.

JLFS Mar 31st 2011 8:13 am

Well, to my uneducated palate, I still remember the thrill of the first time I went into a newsagents in the UK and saw the array of chocolate bars...........Pocket money permitting I started at one end and worked my way along, there was not a lot like it in Spain at the time.....

It may inferior in quality, I dont know, but for we its the best.

Come to think of it, in the days before BC (Brit Choc) they were mainly golosinas in Spain, not anything in the chocolate products aimed at kids like now.

cricketman Mar 31st 2011 11:05 am

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 9276203)
Well, to my uneducated palate, I still remember the thrill of the first time I went into a newsagents in the UK and saw the array of chocolate bars...........Pocket money permitting I started at one end and worked my way along, there was not a lot like it in Spain at the time.....

It may inferior in quality, I dont know, but for we its the best.

Come to think of it, in the days before BC (Brit Choc) they were mainly golosinas in Spain, not anything in the chocolate products aimed at kids like now.

Valor's been around for a long time, but given that 40-50 years ago there wasnt much refridgeration outside of the major cities in Spain then yes I'm sure there wasnt much choice back then.

Jur Mar 31st 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by bil (Post 9275084)
Well, if you will carelessly mislay your pancreas, what can you expect? ;)

I like Lindt 70% or 74%. Trouble is, here it is often white with the cocoa butter efflorescing, and can taste very stale.

Apologies for being picky but Lindt is Swiss chocolate.

Or is it produced in Spain? (me confused now)

Rosemary Mar 31st 2011 11:22 am

Originally Posted by Jur (Post 9276510)
Apologies for being picky but Lindt is Swiss chocolate.

Or is it produced in Spain? (me confused now)

You are correct, your brain is not as befuddled as you thought.

Rosemary