Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish in a british accent

Spanish in a british accent

Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish in a british accent

Originally Posted by goaty
Yes you can. By the clothes, the mannerisms. The socks in the sandals..
joke aside, I think you can spot a guiri a mile off. Yes there are exceptions but very few.
What Relampago said does tend to annoy me aswell.

The British people I know in Spain go on about how dark Spanish people are and how English blonde kids stand out because Spanish people have never seen them before

Thats absolute nonsense. OK many Andaluces tend to be pretty dark although there are still some blondes e.g. El Cordob├ęs. On my travels round the country I'd say nearly half of Spanish kids are blonde. Although a lot get darker hair as they get older.

Sometimes I think British people expect Spanish people to look like Mexicans
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:59 am

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by cricketman
What Relampago said does tend to annoy me aswell.

The British people I know in Spain go on about how dark Spanish people are and how English blonde kids stand out because Spanish people have never seen them before

Thats absolute nonsense. OK many Andaluces tend to be pretty dark although there are still some blondes e.g. El Cordob├ęs. On my travels round the country I'd say nearly half of Spanish kids are blonde. Although a lot get darker hair as they get older.

It's true especially up in Asturias - the majority of Spanish kids around here are fair skinned and many many have blonde hair.

I think we assume that the fair haired are foreign when really they are Spanish.

What is also not true is that not ALL Spanish woman are dark, sultry and stylish. They are just like you and me (talking to the women and not the men here).
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by manamama
It's true especially up in Asturias - the majority of Spanish kids around here are fair skinned and many many have blonde hair.

I think we assume that the fair haired are foreign when really they are Spanish.

What is also not true is that not ALL Spanish woman are dark, sultry and stylish. They are just like you and me (talking to the women and not the men here).
My OH is definitely not dark and sultry - the stylish depends on the day

As I mentioned before imo Spanish women tend to be very down to earth with strong personalities. Many Spanish families are matriarchal for a number of reasons.

Btw, my parents live in the CDS, when they first came to Asturias noone understood them even though they had been speaking broken Spanish for years in the CDS. Asturians just arent used to foreign accents and words not being pronounced perfectly. However, my mum stepped up her Spanish lessons and when she came back to Asturias a few years later everyone understood her

So there is hope!
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:40 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warren d
What's the betting they are members of this forum?
Christ, I hadn't thought of that. I'd better check my PMs.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

I think we assume that the fair haired are foreign when really they are Spanish. .
Perhaps as well as learning Spanish we should learn the history of the country.

The Roman legions that controlled Spain recruited vast quantities of legionaires from Gaul, Germany and many of the Gothic tribes in the North of Europe.

In due course as the power of Rome weakened in came the Visigoths and Vandals, more Northern European tribes. Later came the French and the British.

All of these left their mark on the population of Spain so it is hardly surprising there are large numbers of light skinned fair haired people. What would be more surprising would be if there were none.

Jim
Old Oct 4th 2009, 8:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
Perhaps as well as learning Spanish we should learn the history of the country.

The Roman legions that controlled Spain recruited vast quantities of legionaires from Gaul, Germany and many of the Gothic tribes in the North of Europe.

In due course as the power of Rome weakened in came the Visigoths and Vandals, more Northern European tribes. Later came the French and the British.

All of these left their mark on the population of Spain so it is hardly surprising there are large numbers of light skinned fair haired people. What would be more surprising would be if there were none.

Jim
You're going along the right lines, I guess the important thing is to be aware that there is only one human race! We all come from Africa at the end of the day.

If I remember correctly, over the past 10,000 years or so Spain was initially inhabited by the phonoecians and celts. Then as you say by some visigoth and vadal tribes. Then later still came the moors, that accounts for the darker features of some of those in Andalucia. Then you have some Latin American Indian influence depending on immigration/emmigration from those countries and how much interbreeding went on. However, just as in Britain it is almost impossible to attribute certain features to certain ancient "tribes".

There is a very good programme on the BBC called "who do you think you are" that follows the geneology of British celebrities. It is suprising (or maybe not) that on every programme I have seen, the celebrity's relatives came from abraod within the past 100 years or so.

Just goes to show that all we can be sure about is where we are born, where we grow up and where we choose to live! The rest is nonsense spurted by people with some kind of agenda
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:11 am
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

You're going along the right lines, I guess the important thing is to be aware that there is only one human race! We all come from Africa at the end of the day.

If I remember correctly, over the past 10,000 years or so Spain was initially inhabited by the phonoecians and celts. Then as you say by some visigoth and vadal tribes. Then later still came the moors, that accounts for the darker features of some of those in Andalucia. Then you have some Latin American Indian influence depending on immigration/emmigration from those countries and how much interbreeding went on. However, just as in Britain it is almost impossible to attribute certain features to certain ancient "tribes".

There is a very good programme on the BBC called "who do you think you are" that follows the geneology of British celebrities. It is suprising (or maybe not) that on every programme I have seen, the celebrity's relatives came from abraod within the past 100 years or so.

Just goes to show that all we can be sure about is where we are born, where we grow up and where we choose to live! The rest is nonsense spurted by people with some kind of agenda
It's not where you're from, it's where you're at.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

The Spaniards don't resemble in anything to the Mexicans. Of course, I refer to most of the Mexicans, that they are mestizo. But you don't wrong. There are also Caucasian Mexicans. They are the minority (I believe that 10 % of the population) but they conform the elite of the country. Some:

Last edited by Relampago; Oct 4th 2009 at 12:55 pm.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Old Oct 4th 2009, 1:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
It is a tradition in the UK that Intellectuals wear sandals and brown woollen socks in the summer and walk into doors as they wander up and down corridors thinking deep thoughts. Mathematicians are the worst, as nothing they think about has any relevance to the real world and by the time they reach their mid twenties they are burnt out.

No doubt they are the same in Spain.

Jim
I don't know if it is of intellectual or not, but in this time, as sometimes there is something of heat, I have sandals, but in the nights and the mornings it is cold, is when I take the sandals I also put the socks with the sandals. In the winter, are several the times that I have put on socks with the slippers

When it is cold, if you have sandals with socks it is very pleasing, but at home, at least here in Spain. I believe that this in the street, as it is not here habit, it could be considered of tacky
Old Oct 4th 2009, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Relampago
The Spaniards don't resemble in anything to the Mexicans. Of course, I refer to most of the Mexicans, that they are mestizo. But you don't wrong. There are also Caucasian Mexicans. They are the minority (I believe that 10 % of the population) but they conform the elite of the country
Yes good point!

Same goes for many of the Latin American countries e.g. Venezuela, Ecuador, etc. Brazil is more of a mix of all colours and Argentina and Chile are more white European with their people originally from Spain, Italy, Germany etc
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Oh wow! Such an eye opener that that not all Mexicans look "Mexican" and not all Spanish look "Spanish" and not all Northern Europeans look "Northern European". Could this thread get any more boring?
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:45 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by warren d
Oh wow! Such an eye opener that that not all Mexicans look "Mexican" and not all Spanish look "Spanish" and not all Northern Europeans look "Northern European". Could this thread get any more boring?

Boring????? I don't find looking at examples of gorgeous mexicans boring - especially the one in the uniform.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 9:47 pm
Forum Regular

Boring????? I don't find looking at examples of gorgeous mexicans boring - especially the one in the uniform.
I see what you mean so I take it back.
Old Oct 4th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Actually the mention of Mexicans reminded me of a holiday I had in Mexico many years ago. I found the Mexicans on the whole were a delightful people but for many of them their situation is pretty desperate. I wouldn't have wanted to get caught in a dark alley by one of them (Oh I got mugged by a policeman there one night).
Anyway, back to the story. There was a Mexican girls high school party staying in the same hotel as us. These were, dare I say it? "Spanish looking" and were obviously from the families of "the elite" mentioned earlier. Lots of very good looking girls among them. Most of the women I saw though were "Mexican looking" and were mostly very attractive to say the least and also very friendly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.