Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spanish in a british accent

Spanish in a british accent

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spanish in a british accent

I worked with a Scottish guy some time ago, and we came to the conclusion it is psychological. For example, I would go into a bar and order whatever, no problem for me, I am bilingual.
He would go to a bar (he spoke intermediate spanish) and 9 times out of ten he would be understood.

However, we discovered that when we went for a drink together, and we spoke English together, and then ordered it was a lot more likely that the waiter would not understand us (the first time) despite ordering correctly and in well spoken Spanish. (The waiter would obviously hear us speak in English)

We concluded that there must be some psychological process at work, that is to do with expectation. The expectation somehow influences the brain..
further than that I don´t know, as I´m not a psychologist..
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 12:43 pm
Forum Regular

goaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant futuregoaty has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by warren d
I get the same kind of trouble. I think some petrol stations employ some fairly stupid people. I usually buy 40 euros worth of fuel at a time. The conversation very often goes like this.

Me: Quarenta (hands over 50 euro note and this is where the confusion begins).
Them: Cinquentas?
Me: No. Quarenta.

Even with my accent neither of those words sound similar.

If you can´t spell it, it may cause problems.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:42 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carter71
Whilst out with some girlfriends recently we came up with a new 'drinking' game to have fun practising our Spanish.

The rules are simple. Try to devise really simple English phrases, that the others can't say in Spanish, especially after the second glass! You soon come out with really silly things like "My nervous new boyfriend is never cloud number nine".

It needs a group in order to keep the phrases coming, but it's great mental exercise, and very funny when something so simple as "My son Rico said..." can't be said whilst keeping a straight face
Mi hijo Rico dijó

that's hard enough sober
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:45 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

lynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond reputelynnxa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goaty
why?

he's not writing it down!

if my students want to write 'abwela' above 'abuela' on the worksheets & it helps them pronounce it, I see no problem in that

after all - they want to be understood, not take an exam!

another one a lot have trouble with is 'izquierda'

until I write ITH-KEY-AIR-DA on the board
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 6:32 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lynnxa
why?

if my students want to write 'abwela' above 'abuela' on the worksheets & it helps them pronounce it, I see no problem in that

That is why I liked the little blue "Practical conversation guide" by Arguval.
They have the translation and also the pronunciation, most of it is nothing like you think it would be. lol
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 7:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Always used to have trouble with "Valladolid" on the way up from the ferry got round it by not reading it.

Jim
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

why?

yes good points on the phonetics.

But we don´t know how he´s pronouncing it, a slight deviation can make a difference. He might be saying coo-ar-wenta with a brit accent.
Imagine in English saying foouwty (40) or florteyy something like that. I´m sure the person saying would say "sorry?"
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mi hijo Rico dijó

that's hard enough sober

no accent on the o of course
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:46 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

yes good points on the phonetics.

But we don´t know how he´s pronouncing it, a slight deviation can make a difference. He might be saying coo-ar-wenta with a brit accent.
Imagine in English saying foouwty (40) or florteyy something like that. I´m sure the person saying would say "sorry?"
you have a point - but I suspect he's pronouncing it OKish - the way he spelt makes me think he probably is

I reckon they're just trying it on

I rang up about an apartment & was told 'quinientos cinquenta'

as soon as the owner realised it was for a brit it was suddenly 'seiscientos cincuenta'

I was told I must have mis-heard
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:47 pm
¿Dónde estoy?

no accent on the o of course
oops
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

Back in England a few years ago, we had a couple of Romanian labourers working with us. They spoke very good English and we used to teach them Cockney rhyming slang. Anyway one of them brought in a Romanian - English phrase book and they asked me to read out Romanian phrases and they would try to guess what it was I saying. Of course I was pronouncing it all as if they were English words. They didn't have a clue what I was saying most of the time and were falling about the place when they read it for themselves.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

warren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud ofwarren d has much to be proud of

But we don´t know how he´s pronouncing it,
Oh stop splitting hairs. I pronounce neither word in a similar way. I already told you that.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I worked with a Scottish guy some time ago, and we came to the conclusion it is psychological. For example, I would go into a bar and order whatever, no problem for me, I am bilingual.
He would go to a bar (he spoke intermediate spanish) and 9 times out of ten he would be understood.

However, we discovered that when we went for a drink together, and we spoke English together, and then ordered it was a lot more likely that the waiter would not understand us (the first time) despite ordering correctly and in well spoken Spanish. (The waiter would obviously hear us speak in English)

We concluded that there must be some psychological process at work, that is to do with expectation. The expectation somehow influences the brain..
further than that I don´t know, as I´m not a psychologist..
That's one of the most logical explanations I've ever read. People do expect someone who looks British, and whom they've heard speak in English, to not be able to speak much Spanish, hence their surprise when addressed in their own language, fluently.

I could never pass for Spanish because of my northern European appearance, and it never ceases to surprise me when Spanish people look shocked when I speak to them in Spanish. They just don't expect it. Most of the time it pleases them that someone has made the effort to learn their language.

I was sitting in a bar in a rough part of town once and overheard two Spanish-speaking customers discussing whether they should try and rob when I went outside (I had foolishly paid for a coffee with 50 Euro note because it was all I had, after being on the beach). I went over to them and explained that I only had the one 50 Euro note and that I wouldn't hand it over without a fight.

I still got the barmaid to call me a taxi, just in case. The two would-be muggers gave me a friendly wave on my way out.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 9:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

We concluded that there must be some psychological process at work, that is to do with expectation.
Agreed. Even within the UK, where you expect to hear English, if you hear an accent you weren't expecting it can take time for it to register and for your brain (mine, at least) to process it.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 12:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by warren d
Oh stop splitting hairs. I pronounce neither word in a similar way. I already told you that.

Ok Caaaalm down! (scouse accent)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.