Reload this Page >

Spanish Bank Account

Spanish Bank Account

Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:09 pm
Just Joined

johndb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spanish Bank Account

Hi

I have recently moved to Spain from the UK. The problem is that I have a very bad credit history back in the UK which I am still trying to sort out. I am worried that this will stop me from being able to open a spanish bank account which would be a nightmare.

Can any of you tell me if a spanish bank will be able to credit check me in the uk? and if so whether this will prevent me from being able to get an account?

Any help would be greatfully recieved, thanks!
Old Feb 8th 2010, 12:17 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spanish Bank Account

I would imagine that if you have just a basic account with no overdraft facility then they will not credit check you anyway. I don't think they credit checked us when we opened ours - all we needed was to show our passports (this was for a non-resident's account which has since been changed to a resident's account and then we just showed our residency cards).
Old Feb 8th 2010, 2:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scampicat
I would imagine that if you have just a basic account with no overdraft facility then they will not credit check you anyway. I don't think they credit checked us when we opened ours - all we needed was to show our passports (this was for a non-resident's account which has since been changed to a resident's account and then we just showed our residency cards).
Yes that's right.

What you wont be able to get is any credit i.e. loans, mortgages, credit cards. Unless you start to pay in a nomina (a montly payment such as a salary or pension).

Make sure you know how much it will cost you to keep an account each month. The basic bank accounts in Spain charge a maintenance fee and some charge for transfers and withdrawels.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 3:08 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

And also, another word of warning about Spanish Banking.
Don't ever think you know what they charge for anything. ALWAYS ask.

Some years ago I was charged 0.4% to transfer from a peseta account in BBVA to another peseta account ¡n Gib. The total was around £400. It took year of letters/emails to get a 50% refund.

I recently made a transfer from a Sol Bank sterling account to a sterling account in Gib. That cost 0.6% It was hundreds of pounds. I tried to negotiate before I gave the instructions but they were not interested.
Old Feb 8th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Estrella blanca is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently opened a basic non-resident account at La Caixa, just with my passport, no other documents were needed and no questions about any other existing accounts were asked. The monthly maintenance fee is 2,50 euros. You get a Visa debit card. No credit facility.
Old Feb 9th 2010, 5:30 am
BE Enthusiast

bealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud ofbealerDSB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by johndb
Hi

I have recently moved to Spain from the UK. The problem is that I have a very bad credit history back in the UK which I am still trying to sort out. I am worried that this will stop me from being able to open a spanish bank account which would be a nightmare.

Can any of you tell me if a spanish bank will be able to credit check me in the uk? and if so whether this will prevent me from being able to get an account?

Any help would be greatfully recieved, thanks!
Me thinks I've seen this post on another forum
DSB.
Old Feb 10th 2010, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget La Caixa also charge 20e annually for any cards.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 5:59 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Casita
Don't forget La Caixa also charge 20e annually for any cards.
The manager at your branch (all banks) has the authority to waive any charges.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

Casita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura aboutCasita has a spectacular aura about

Not mine!
When I told him another bank had less charges, he told me to go there

The charge for a debit card has gone up from 12e to 20e, stil,l I can access it on line and they speak good English so I suppose for 50e a year it's not the end of the world, plus knowing my luck, if I changed banks they'd mess up changing the standing charges etc and I'd get cut off somewhere
Old Feb 11th 2010, 11:30 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Casita
Not mine!
When I told him another bank had less charges, he told me to go there

The charge for a debit card has gone up from 12e to 20e, stil,l I can access it on line and they speak good English so I suppose for 50e a year it's not the end of the world, plus knowing my luck, if I changed banks they'd mess up changing the standing charges etc and I'd get cut off somewhere
A couple of times when I have changed banks, the new bank has accepted a list of DD's from the other bank and they have transferred them all without any input from me.

If my bank who were charging me now and they would not reconsider, I would go to a bank that will be more considerate, and there are lots that will nopw,
Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I have gone with La Caixa mainly because there is a branch in my nearest town of Albuñol and I could open the account in London with no language problems. I have got internet banking in English and I have to pick up debit card from Albuñol when out. I have recently transferred a large sum via Moneycorp for my house purchase and was disappointed to note they have charged me 0.4% which on a large sum is quite a bit. I checked with Moneycorp and they say they have not charged me any commission but when I checked with La Caixa they say that the commission is split 50/50 with the originator and the receiving bank. So short of calling Moneycorp a liar I am stuffed and forced to accept.

Thats life i suppose.

Old Feb 11th 2010, 1:39 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Val001
Well I have gone with La Caixa mainly because there is a branch in my nearest town of Albuñol and I could open the account in London with no language problems. I have got internet banking in English and I have to pick up debit card from Albuñol when out. I have recently transferred a large sum via Moneycorp for my house purchase and was disappointed to note they have charged me 0.4% which on a large sum is quite a bit. I checked with Moneycorp and they say they have not charged me any commission but when I checked with La Caixa they say that the commission is split 50/50 with the originator and the receiving bank. So short of calling Moneycorp a liar I am stuffed and forced to accept.

Thats life i suppose.

Why is it one always get good advice too late?

HIFX.com transfer at good rate and guarantee no charges either end. If there are any they pick up the bill.
Old Feb 11th 2010, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

Val001 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that

Well the bulk of the money is now transferred. I still have one more transfer to do for solicitors bill and costs but any commission won't amount to much.

Thre you go............
Old Feb 11th 2010, 3:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

ForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to allForHotspot is a name known to all

When I used moneycorp to transfer money to SOL bank a/c I wasn't charged any commission.
Old Feb 13th 2010, 6:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ForHotspot
When I used moneycorp to transfer money to SOL bank a/c I wasn't charged any commission.
Assuming it was sterling into euros, how did the exchange rate compare with the inter bank rate and was it Moneycorp or Sol bank who did the exchange ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.