British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish Bank Acc (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-bank-acc-910796/)

Hornets_Nest Mar 23rd 2018 2:23 pm

Spanish Bank Acc

Is it possible to open a bank account in Spain while still living in the UK?

If so can this be done from the UK or would the person need to travel to Spain to open the account?

tebo53 Mar 23rd 2018 3:39 pm

Re: Spanish Bank Acc

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest (Post 12468534)

If so can this be done from the UK or would the person need to travel to Spain to open the account?

I do believe that it is necessary to be at the bank of your choice to open an account. You will need to prove your identity (by way of Passport) Sign several sheets of paperwork and deposit some cash.

That's how it was for me anyway :thumbsup:

Steve

amideislas Mar 23rd 2018 3:41 pm

Yes, you can open a "non resident" account, and you'll need to do it personally (unless you grant a lawyer or gestor power of attorney, which will require a personal visit anyway, so it's hardly worth the bother).

The entire process should require less than a half hour, you'll need to provide passport and possibly proof of your (UK) residence, and you will likely be subject to monthly fees of a few Euros just to keep the account open. Also possibly minimum balances. A debit card will incur additional monthly fees (usually around €3-€5).

But all those fees are either reduced or eliminated when you become resident.

CapnBilly Mar 23rd 2018 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest (Post 12468534)

If you have a sterling current account with Barclays, and are UK resident, then you can now open a Euro current account with them, although you have to go into a branch. You can make SEPA credit transfers and direct debits through the account, with no charges, providing you use online banking. You can also deposit and withdraw euro notes. Only drawback is they don't have a debit card.

Other banks may offer similar.

Eric S Mar 23rd 2018 4:28 pm

You could try the BBVA online account. You may be able to sign up online. We have the account, but we signed up in a branch while we were in Spain at the time.

We like this account because there are no montlhy fees or requirements for regular deposits.

Good luck.
- Eric S.

amideislas Mar 23rd 2018 5:15 pm

It's a global banking requirement to positively identify anyone opening an account (at least in any legitimate bank). So, opening a functional bank account online is highly unlikely, especially in a regulated environment such as in Europe, USA, etc. You may be able to "sign up" online, but it's highly unlikely that the account will become functional until you've been positively identified, and that generally means a face to face visit, or at least a whole bunch of expensive legalistic paperwork, lawyers, notaries and so on.

Even of you could open a fully functional account "online" without proving your identity, I'd be very suspicious of the bank, because it would be in flagrant violation of banking regs and "KYC" rules. And I doubt you'll find a bank like that operating within the EU, UK, or the USA.

CapnBilly Mar 23rd 2018 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by amideislas (Post 12468640)
It's a global banking requirement to positively identify anyone opening an account (at least in any legitimate bank). So, opening a functional bank account online is highly unlikely, especially in a regulated environment such as in Europe, USA, etc. You may be able to "sign up" online, but it's highly unlikely that the account will become functional until you've been positively identified, and that generally means a face to face visit, or at least a whole bunch of expensive legalistic paperwork, lawyers, notaries and so on.

Even of you could open a fully functional account "online" without proving your identity, I'd be very suspicious of the bank, because it would be in flagrant violation of banking regs and "KYC" rules. And I doubt you'll find a bank like that operating within the EU, UK, or the USA.

Its fairly standard practice in the UK to open an account online, mainly because they can check your ID using Passport/Driving Licence etc and cross check with other information such as credit reference agencies, electoral roll etc. Sometimes you have to send copies of documents if they can't validate them online.

Its also becoming common in Spain. I opened an account about 5 years ago with a large international EU based bank, and they collected my documents by courier. The same can also apply to the BBVA account linked above, but this is only if you don't have an account with another bank which they can cross check.

Eric S Mar 23rd 2018 6:11 pm

Originally Posted by CapnBilly (Post 12468645)
Its fairly standard practice in the UK to open an account online, mainly because they can check your ID using Passport/Driving Licence etc and cross check with other information such as credit reference agencies, electoral roll etc. Sometimes you have to send copies of documents if they can't validate them online.

Its also becoming common in Spain. I opened an account about 5 years ago with a large international EU based bank, and they collected my documents by courier. The same can also apply to the BBVA account linked above, but this is only if you don't have an account with another bank which they can cross check.

Right. I took a look at the sign up process on the BBVA web site. It says this:

"In order to be able to identify yourself securely and without having to go in person to the bank, we will need an account number of another bank of which you are the account holder. If you do not have a bank account, you can register and we will send a courier to collect your documents."

I question whether they will send a courier to someone outside Spain, though. I also wonder whether a bank account outside Spain will be acceptable. But European banks are pretty well tied together, so it might work.

- Eric S.

CapnBilly Mar 23rd 2018 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12468661)

"In order to be able to identify yourself securely and without having to go in person to the bank, we will need an account number of another bank of which you are the account holder. If you do not have a bank account, you can register and we will send a courier to collect your documents."

I question whether they will send a courier to someone outside Spain, though. I also wonder whether a bank account outside Spain will be acceptable. But European banks are pretty well tied together, so it might work.

- Eric S.

IIRC I registered for online banking last year to apply, and the first question was “how long have you been resident in Spain”. I emailed customer services, and they said it was only for residents.

I note that the account is now only available to open online or via mobile, and not in branch.

Eric S Mar 24th 2018 1:19 am

Originally Posted by CapnBilly (Post 12468682)
IIRC I registered for online banking last year to apply, and the first question was “how long have you been resident in Spain”. I emailed customer services, and they said it was only for residents.

I note that the account is now only available to open online or via mobile, and not in branch.

Interesting. We are non-residents and we have the online account. Maybe they've changed things since we got the account a few years ago.

- Eric S.

Notdunroamin Mar 24th 2018 4:53 am

Not forgetting your NIE of course ;)

Certainly we needed them when we opened our A/C with CAXIA/Hola less than a month ago.

We were on an all too brief visit and because of time constraints we went through all the procedures a couple of days prior to acquiring our NIE's which we then had to present to finalise it.

BTW we asked about what happens with a joint A/C if one party died. We were told that 50% of the available funds would be frozen pending production of death certificates etc. but that a Spanish will passing all assets to the survivor negated that.

A local will is not a bad thing to have in any case so we've added that to our list of things to do ASAP after we arrive to stay which could be in as little as 4 weeks time :thumbsup:

Eric S Mar 24th 2018 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin (Post 12468879)
Not forgetting your NIE of course ;)

Certainly we needed them when we opened our A/C with CAXIA/Hola less than a month ago.

Again, maybe things have changed since we opened our account a few years ago. But I only needed my passport for the BBVA account. I did not have my NIE at that point. And, interestingly, since I got a NIE, I've tried to have my BBVA user ID changed from my passport number to my NIE, but they won't let me! :huh:

- Eric S.

Golden Years Mar 24th 2018 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12469045)
Again, maybe things have changed since we opened our account a few years ago. But I only needed my passport for the BBVA account. I did not have my NIE at that point. And, interestingly, since I got a NIE, I've tried to have my BBVA user ID changed from my passport number to my NIE, but they won't let me! :huh:

- Eric S.

Whilst in Spain last week we opened a non resident account at a branch of Banco de Sabadell.

We did not need an NIE.

We did need;
Passports
Proof of UK residency (we used a recent water company bill).
Our National Insurance Numbers
Proof of ownership of those National Insurance numbers (we used a DWP pension credit and an ISA statement that showed our names, our address as well as the NI numbers).

It took about half an hour, we paid some euros in via the ATM and the debit card arrived here in the UK yesterday.

amideislas Mar 24th 2018 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Eric S (Post 12468661)

- Eric S.

Well, then, you are positively identified (by the other bank). I'm still a bit surprised they would do this, unless they have other means (simultaneously) of positively verifying your true identity, removing any risk of a stolen identity. And I'd expect banking regulators to insist as well. But nothing's perfect in this world.

Kebabby Mar 25th 2018 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Golden Years (Post 12469127)
Whilst in Spain last week we opened a non resident account at a branch of Banco de Sabadell.

We did not need an NIE

I can confirm we did the same but used confirmation of UK tax status which we requested online from HMRC.

If you email Sabadell they confirm documents required. We just turned up and was seen straight away.