British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spanish apellidos ... ?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spanish-apellidos-640918/)

fionamw Nov 17th 2009 9:57 am

Spanish apellidos ... ??

I have to confess I've always been and remain mystified by surnames/family names etc. & I'm hoping I'm not the only one who'd welcome a brief seminar!

Maria the daughter of Jose & his wife Patricia marries Alvaro the son of Juan and his wife Paula and they have a son and a daughter who in turn marry, have son, daughter, etc. ......

Could somebody who understands please insert some surnames/family names & explain to me who's called what & why & how it follows through the generations?:blink:

cricketman Nov 17th 2009 10:29 am

Re: Spanish apellidos ... ??

"Maria the daughter of Jose & his wife Patricia marries Alvaro the son of Juan and his wife Paula and they have a son and a daughter who in turn marry, have son, daughter, etc. ...... "

If father of the daughter = Jose Garcia Alvarez
If mother of the daughter = Patricia Gonzalez Puig
Then Maria the daughter will be called = Maria Garcia Gonzalez

If father of the son = Juan Mendez Perez
If mother of the son = Paula Rodriguez Prats
Then Alvaro the son will be called Alvaro Mendez Rodriguez

When Maria and Alvaro marry their names stay the same, if they have a baby called Alicia, then her name will be = Alicia Mendez Garcia

The children always take the first apellido from their father and their second from their mother. Spanish people do not change their surnames when they marry.

If there are good family records a Spanish person can keep adding surnames i.e. those of their grandparents, great grandparents etc - my OH knows her first 12 or so. You'll never be asked for this info by anyone though!

Fortaleza Nov 17th 2009 10:29 am

It is straightforward following the traditional model.

If Juan Perez marries Julia Carro, they are collectively 'Los Senores Perez' or 'La familia Perez', but Julia never loses her surname and she is always known as Julia Carro but instead of being referred to Senorita Carro she becomes Senora Carro.

They give birth to Juanito. He is then given firstly his fathers surname then his mothers.

So he is Juanito Perez Carro. After 20 years he marries Ana Dominguez Rodriguez. They give birth to Clara.

Clara becomes Clara Perez Dominguez.

Some Spaniards argue theirs is a fairer system than ours as the mother always carries on her family name. Yet as you can see from the example, the fathers name is never lost through the generations but eventually the womans name will go as Granny Carro in this example does not have her name featured in her grandkids.

There is a current vogue for mothers to inisist that their child carries their surname first which may confuse things but the overwhelming majority follow the traditional model

Mitzyboy Nov 17th 2009 11:34 am

My neighbour is called Jose Iglasias Iglasias :D

Fred James Nov 17th 2009 12:11 pm

We know a guy called Kam-Lung Jorge Wu Aragon known as Willy.:)

JLFS Nov 17th 2009 2:43 pm

[QUOTE=Mitzyboy;8104546]My neighbour is called Jose Iglasias Iglasias :D[/QUO

The best name is Dolores Fuertes de la Barriga.....................:D

Veleta Nov 17th 2009 8:59 pm

[QUOTE=JLFS;8104880]

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8104546)
My neighbour is called Jose Iglasias Iglasias :D[/QUO

The best name is Dolores Fuertes de la Barriga.....................:D

OMG! :lol:

Some names sound really naff when they are translated.....

Tony Flags - how UNsexy!!
Julian Churches
Henry Churches
Penelope Cross (well, that one doesn't sound too naff).
Peace Lowlands

Relampago Nov 18th 2009 4:22 pm

I believe that Spain is the only country of the world, or maybe one of the few countries of the world, where the married woman continuous conserving its last name of unmarried

Mitzyboy Nov 18th 2009 5:10 pm

Originally Posted by Relampago (Post 8107786)
I believe that Spain is the only country of the world, or maybe one of the few countries of the world, where the married woman continuous conserving its last name of unmarried

and I think its a good idea. Why should a woman have to lose her real name when marrying

scampicat Nov 19th 2009 1:05 am

So, if two people from the same family have the same surname, they are not husband and wife but siblings.

There is a business down our way which has the name inscribed on the lorry :
Rodrigo Rodriguez Rodriguez.

Our first Dr was Dr Gomez Gomez.

JLFS Nov 19th 2009 6:22 am

Originally Posted by scampicat (Post 8108947)
So, if two people from the same family have the same surname, they are not husband and wife but siblings.

There is a business down our way which has the name inscribed on the lorry :
Rodrigo Rodriguez Rodriguez.

Our first Dr was Dr Gomez Gomez.

Thats rights, when my wife and I go to a hotel, the receptionist thinks that there is a bit of incest going on...........:lol::lol:

scampicat Nov 19th 2009 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by JLFS (Post 8109447)
Thats rights, when my wife and I go to a hotel, the receptionist thinks that there is a bit of incest going on...........:lol::lol:

The lady from the builder's yard in our village happened to notice that my husband and I had the same name. She queried it; I explained how it was done in England. She was HORRIFIED! She could not believe I would give my name up so easily.

Every time I see her now, she makes (jokingly) all sorts of Women's Lib remarks!

Fortaleza Nov 21st 2009 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Relampago (Post 8107786)

Ahhhh, but it gets diluted eventually. For example, Mrs F has no mention of her maternal grandmother's name, and if we were to have children her mother's name would disappear too. Yet her father's family name remains intact

agoreira Nov 21st 2009 8:49 am

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy (Post 8107916)
and I think its a good idea. Why should a woman have to lose her real name when marrying

Doesn't have to, she could have a double barrelled name. I understand these are becoming common amongst same sex marriages to indicate that both are equal. :confused:

Veleta Nov 21st 2009 8:55 am

Originally Posted by agoreira (Post 8114566)
Doesn't have to, she could have a double barrelled name. I understand these are becoming common amongst same sex marriages to indicate that both are equal. :confused:

She doesn't even HAVE to have a double barrelled name.

Lots of women, particularly professional women, don't change their surname at all upon marrying. My sister didn't, although she does get very annoyed when people assume that she has the same surname as her husband and call her Mrs X instead of Mrs Y.