Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spaniard pavement hoggers

Spaniard pavement hoggers

Old Aug 25th 2016, 9:18 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spaniard pavement hoggers

Originally Posted by Lilli1
Hey Barclay_80, I am so relieved this is not me going off my trolley! I just went to throw out my cats litter(shall we say!lol) and a couple were walking towards me who could quite clearly see A.I was there and B.I had a bag of offending cat poo plus another elderly guy decides to cross the road to where I'm walking(so all three of them heading straight towards me and all I want to do is get to that bin a few metres in front of me and chuck the bag away) but of course the woman didn't budge and walked into me and there was no where for me to go unless I want to walk into the road,onto the other pavement and back again or evolve and learn to fly.

I'd be interested to know how you're getting on these days and if you've found a way of getting your head around it?
Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:24 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO it is nothing to do with culture by nationality i.e. Spanish or British this happens all over and it is simply down to the individual and their own manners or understanding of manners or what manners they have been taught

What exactly is Spanish or British culture?

Culture for me is the day to day life of my family, friends, our quality of life, our common interests and nothing to do with where I live, where I was born or what nationality I am or what others do
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I have been in Spain for 10 years and have never observed what the OP is talking about

One thing I have observed is that people in Spain like eye contact and friendly facial gestures. They like confident, smiley, sociable people.

One cannot expect a friendly and welcoming response unless they are being friendly and welcoming themselves. The only rule that Spaniards adhere to, is if in doubt, smile and be friendly! Then you will be treated very well

In contrast, British people tend to be very cold to people they dont know. So there may be a bit of a culture clash there
Old Aug 26th 2016, 8:47 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I have been in Spain for 10 years and have never observed what the OP is talking about

One thing I have observed is that people in Spain like eye contact and friendly facial gestures. They like confident, smiley, sociable people.

One cannot expect a friendly and welcoming response unless they are being friendly and welcoming themselves. The only rule that Spaniards adhere to, is if in doubt, smile and be friendly! Then you will be treated very well

In contrast, British people tend to be very cold to people they dont know. So there may be a bit of a culture clash there
That is the first thing to learn when moving into a Spanish community. They are warm and friendly but if you do not respond they will take a step back and take your lead. Making friends here is easy if you return their smiles and greet them appropriately.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2016, 10:43 am
Account Closed

Tadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond reputeTadd1966 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spaniard pavement hoggers

Originally Posted by Rosemary
That is the first thing to learn when moving into a Spanish community. They are warm and friendly but if you do not respond they will take a step back and take your lead. Making friends here is easy if you return their smiles and greet them appropriately.

Rosemary
I have found over the years no matter where you live if you greet people with a smile or a hello 90% of the time they will return it

As an example I hear often in England that northerners are supposed to be more friendly than southerner's - I don't buy that, it is down to you and how you apply yourself don't wait for others but remember anyone can be having a bad day
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Some aspects of culture differ country to country. eg Queuing. I get really irritated when I have stood ina queue and a whole bunch of folk get taken first as they force theirway in.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Some aspects of culture differ country to country. eg Queuing. I get really irritated when I have stood ina queue and a whole bunch of folk get taken first as they force theirway in.
Here when anyone enters a place where there are queues they ask who is the last person and then even if they move forward to speak to someone everyone knows that they are aware of their place.

Rosemary
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Maur-Ross
Sorry but it is not about counties or culture but individuals.
I see many Spanish queuing and many pushing in same in UK and other countries I have visited - it is more about an individuals behaviour not their nationality.

IMO culture is an overused word and is simply stereotyping and generalisation
Old Aug 26th 2016, 1:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Don't you love the "double-parkers". Used to be so frustrated when returning to the car, correctly parked by the kerb, to find it blocked in with the other driver nowhere in sight. Now, like everyone else just sit in the car with the hand on the horn until someone shows up.
In Sevilla and some other cities they have the courtesy to double park leaving the handbrake off and the car in neutral so it can be pushed out of the way by the local lads who supervise any street parking.
Old Aug 26th 2016, 4:33 pm
Forum Regular

Maur-Ross is an unknown quantity at this point

Same in parts of Italy