British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spains drying up (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spains-drying-up-947895/)

Stingychips Apr 26th 2023 7:05 pm

Spains drying up

In Catalonia we are experiencing the worst drought in decades. Going to be 40 degree weather here very soon to add to the misery. People are saying it’s going to be a desert like in parts of Africa before we know it.

spainrico Apr 26th 2023 7:29 pm

Re: Spains drying up

Parts of Alicante campo are the same - little vegetation or animals. I can't remember the last time it seriously rained. I heard there are serious concerns in Valencia about the lack of water to grow rice - can only expect to see food prices shooting up even more.

Lynn R Apr 26th 2023 7:57 pm

I wonder how much all these people zooming about the place in their cars in search of entertainment because they can't bear public transport have contributed to where we find ourselves today?

Moses2013 Apr 26th 2023 8:27 pm

Will be getting worse and further down you already have desertification. Returned from Catalonia last month and never been so dry this early, luckily it looks like Lloret/Vidreres area will get some rain this weekend and temps seem to be around the mid 20s. If you look at webcam further inland (example here) it is still very green, but around Barcelona onwards it's pretty bad.

https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...357b88243a.jpg

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...24ce5c254c.jpg

Ronnyone Apr 26th 2023 8:46 pm

It is a big thing in Andalucía at the moment with the protected wildlife park of Doñana being a political election point for the May vote. Basically no rain for 90 days and local agriculture is suffering- you either want protection of wildlife or an ocean of plastic tunnels. Also yesterday it was revealed that the oceans are now at their peak warmth ever and scientists are suggesting this means they can no longer absorb CO2 leading to a much faster heating up than originally thought- meanwhile my son's school runs an environmental week while at the same time saying that the number of large SUV vehicles dropping off pupils is blocking the entrance roads. In Uk environmental protesters were jailed for 2 years!. Also social media sites don't help- ronaldo gets so many likes the energy used is equivalent to the average energy consumption of a family house and that is every post. And incidentally AI uses huge amounts of energy too. So ....not much chance for our over consumming species now!

Moses2013 Apr 26th 2023 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13189136)
I wonder how much all these people zooming about the place in their cars in search of entertainment because they can't bear public transport have contributed to where we find ourselves today?

I don't fly and have no kids + I planted several trees and wildflower patches in garden and rarely even use the heat pump :lol:. In Ireland we also have no public transport where I live + when in Spain I also pick up litter from the beaches which I couldn't reach by bus:p. I also tried to get the most economical car I could afford, but don't force me to take the bus on weekends. During the week i also stay at home while others are back and forth on a bus from Monday to Friday.

Lynn R Apr 26th 2023 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013 (Post 13189144)
I don't fly and have no kids + I planted several trees and wildflower patches in garden and rarely even use the heat pump :lol:. In Ireland we also have no public transport where I live + when in Spain I also pick up litter from the beaches which I couldn't reach by bus:p. I also tried to get the most economical car I could afford, but don't force me to take the bus.

I won't force you to take the bus if you stop misrepresenting people who live in towns/cities without cars as couch potatoes who don't walk more than 500m a day between home and the nearest bar, or make out that they are stuck in the same place never going anywhere. Deal?

If there's litter on beaches that can't be reached by bus, the people driving there are not very environmentally friendly, are they?

Moses2013 Apr 26th 2023 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by Lynn R (Post 13189146)
I won't force you to take the bus if you stop misrepresenting people who live in towns/cities without cars as couch potatoes who don't walk more than 500m a day between home and the nearest bar, or make out that they are stuck in the same place never going anywhere. Deal?

If there's litter on beaches that can't be reached by bus, the people driving there are not very environmentally friendly, are they?

I never said couch potatoes??? The beaches that have litter are places that can be reached by bus by other people or people who stay there, but we have no bus there.
In the other post I just said that all people are different and I can't understand how people can sit in the sun all day and only walk 500 metres just like Ronnyone couldn't understand how somebody who is 45 wouldn't work. So I really just highlighted that we can't expect all people to be the same:amen:.

Stingychips Apr 26th 2023 9:57 pm

Even if you don’t fly, shower less and walk to work , the worlds still going to get warmer. Have you seen how much co2 China and India pump into the atmosphere.

Ronnyone Apr 26th 2023 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 13189161)
Even if you don’t fly, shower less and walk to work , the worlds still going to get warmer. Have you seen how much co2 China and India pump into the atmosphere.

China and India simply supply our westrn demand for cheap products which in turn leads to more demand- so we are very much complicit in this. If people in the west stopped consuming so much then that would reduce demand and reduce emission to some degree.

Moses2013 Apr 26th 2023 10:49 pm

I'm fully aware of it and just had to comment as Lynn R was trying to make me the biggest climate contributor as I prefer to drive and still enjoy exploring places. All I can do is try my best and even in Ireland we have had droughts this February, but the little wildflower meadow I have will not stop China and India's growth and how we in the West consume today. If droughts get worse in coming years I'm also prepared to sell up in Spain.
The only problem is that while we're enjoying higher temps in Ireland, intense winter storms are increasing and more and more people will arrive here.

philat98 Apr 27th 2023 12:21 am

The US emits twice as much CO2 as India with a quarter of the population.

spainrico Apr 27th 2023 12:40 am

Just seen this post from the Lagunas Torrevieja - thought I would post and lighten this thread a bit

'INTERNATIONAL FLAMINGO DAY
We are about to witness the fourth nesting of flamingos in the Torrevieja lagoon. The reproduction of this bird only occurs in 30 places on the planet, which makes the event something exceptional.
Last year, more than 4,000 flamingos were born in the pink lagoon and this year, a couple of a species other than the common flamingo has even been observed. In the world there are 6 species of flamingos, of which 2 are present in our lagoons: the common flamingo and the lesser flamingo.
The celebration of this day aims to spread awareness about these iconic birds and promote the conservation of flamingos around the world in addition to promoting the conservation of wetlands in which they live.'

Moses2013 Apr 27th 2023 1:00 am

Originally Posted by spainrico (Post 13189197)
Just seen this post from the Lagunas Torrevieja - thought I would post and lighten this thread a bit

'INTERNATIONAL FLAMINGO DAY
We are about to witness the fourth nesting of flamingos in the Torrevieja lagoon. The reproduction of this bird only occurs in 30 places on the planet, which makes the event something exceptional.
Last year, more than 4,000 flamingos were born in the pink lagoon and this year, a couple of a species other than the common flamingo has even been observed. In the world there are 6 species of flamingos, of which 2 are present in our lagoons: the common flamingo and the lesser flamingo.
The celebration of this day aims to spread awareness about these iconic birds and promote the conservation of flamingos around the world in addition to promoting the conservation of wetlands in which they live.'

:thumbs_up:

Moses2013 Apr 27th 2023 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Stingychips (Post 13189127)
In Catalonia we are experiencing the worst drought in decades. Going to be 40 degree weather here very soon to add to the misery. People are saying it’s going to be a desert like in parts of Africa before we know it.

Actually hard to believe that it's April when you see temps like this. Records might be broken down there if it goes up in the next hour or so (current predictions). The 20-24 in Girona province would be coat weather for them..
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/british...f4c58dcf92.jpg