Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain will pay you to scrap your old car.

Spain will pay you to scrap your old car.

Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:04 am

poshnbucks has disabled reputation
Default Spain will pay you to scrap your old car.

Mentioned on the news tonight that Spain will follow Germany and pay people to scrap old bangers and take them out of the car chain. This is said to be the incentive as the worlds car industry's on the slide and a kick start to the car industry is required,There are calls from the AA financial arm for Britain to adopt the scheme. In Germany it said the cash payment is just to buy a new car. Full details await re Spain, But in Germany the car has to be over 9 years old and you can get up to 2500 euro towards a new vehicle.Details of the idea below. Lord Maddy may block the British scheme as he mentions that a lot of cars are made abroad and British tax payers money would support them.No mention of course of the British workers in the Midlands etc who face.........Hell knows.

http://www.independent.co.uk/money/i...s-1622156.html

Last edited by poshnbucks; Mar 2nd 2009 at 12:14 am.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 6:46 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain will pay you to scrap your old car.

Spain has had just such a system, on and off, for some years and it has never been very successful.

The old "plan prever" was replaced by the "plan vive" and that resulted in very few vehicle being scrapped. The same plan can cover domestic appliances and that seems to be more successful.

On the car plans you got a discount (about 750 euros max if I remember correctly) based on the CO2 emissions of the old car.

The plans for domestic appliances depend on the energy efficiency rating of the new appliance.

They will have to come up with a much more attractive plan to make it work in the current economic environment - let's hope they do.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 8:21 am

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Have we missed something? The link takes you to news about a U.K. scheme that is dated back in September of last year. Nothing about a Spanish plan.
France has this system too and we have read that it does not work as they find the crappiest car they can find i.e. one that has been standing and not used for many-a-year. Trailer it to the dealer and get a lot of money for what is basically a pile of rust, (like shown below).They then keep the older car they have as a second car. This way older cars are not removed from the roads as planned.
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:09 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Nowt to do with Spain, but before I left the UK a year ago, all they ever talked about over there was trying to reduce the number of cars on the roads. improving public transport, car sharing schemes, higher car tax, higher petrol prices to discourage driving, no new road building projects..... Now they´re considering "car buying schemes" and investing tax payers money into keeping the industry alive??? They cant have it both ways!!

Jo
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 9:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Beachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to beholdBeachcomber is a splendid one to behold

Spain already has a plan to kick-start the car industry. It has instructed ITV testing stations to fail older vehicles for even the slightest defect. I was waiting for the result with several people the other day and every single vehicle was a 'fail'.

Mine failed because they said the steering wheel wasn't on straight. (It has been in the same position for the last seven years and has passed fourteen tests without comment previously) I borrowed a spanner, moved it round a notch, got another appointment for a retest there and then and it passed.

Do they think we're stupid?
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 12:32 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Beachcomber,

Yes i think is the answer !!! However, I was at my local ITV today (with another question which I will start another thread) and it was empty !!! I reckon that the locals have got to hear about this and are simply not getting ITV tests (plus one has now to make an appointment)

Davexf
Old Mar 2nd 2009, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

Unmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really niceUnmutual is just really nice

Well my heap of scrap went through with flying colours this morning.
Had to back the emissions right down for the test.....then once it was done turn it back up again.