Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain wants to repopulate rural villages - Good opportunity?

Spain wants to repopulate rural villages - Good opportunity?

Old Nov 13th 2020, 3:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain wants to repopulate rural villages - Good opportunity?

I saw this article on a recent Fotocasa newsletter (in Spanish):-

'Have you ever thought about going to a village to live and work? Perhaps this 2020, as a result of COVID-19 and the slowdown that the economy has suffered, will be a propitious year to think about this change in life. If so, in this post we show you some towns that offer work and housing and some tips that will be useful if you are considering taking the step.'

For more -
https://www.fotocasa.es/blog/inspira...B354%5D-131120

Could be some interesting opportunities for some who want a very rural Spanish life on a limited budget but also might be an option for home workers - I thought some might be interested.
Old Nov 13th 2020, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain wants to repopulate rural villages - Good opportunity?

Originally Posted by spainrico

'Have you ever thought about going to a village to live and work? Perhaps this 2020, as a result of COVID-19 and the slowdown that the economy has suffered, will be a propitious year to think about this change in life. If so, in this post we show you some towns that offer work and housing and some tips that will be useful if you are considering taking the step.'

For more -

Could be some interesting opportunities for some who want a very rural Spanish life on a limited budget but also might be an option for home workers - I thought some might be interested.
There is an active group on Facebook that promotes the same - Castilla has several opportunities, and the villages look for specific skills - carpentars, electricians, bakers etc . Great initiative
https://www.facebook.com/Repobladores
Old Nov 13th 2020, 7:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

For more -

The thing is that all these villages are very remote or have a harsh climate, so it will always be difficult to attract people permanently. Often the wages are bad and even the free/cheap housing doesn't make up for it. Those who can work remotely are saving money anyway and can afford more + most want to be closer to the coast and cities. At the end of the day you can find cheap or remote housing all over Spain. You see the same all over Europe and while you might be able to attract one or two families, most end up elsewhere. Even on Fotocasa there are 50.000 homes under 50K
Old Nov 14th 2020, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

bfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond reputebfg69bug has a reputation beyond repute

I wish there were something like this in the malaga area, i´d move there tomorrow. Nothing within 30 minutes of the airport that we can afford and has the right paperwork to get a mortgage.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 10:03 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

My business was in a rural location.It is fine while you are younger but the facilities are generally poor.We installed soler,expensive but necessary as the alternative was a generator.No mains water but we were able to get a special rate for delivery to our deposito as it was essential for our business.Even in the village there was practically no transport links so a vehicle was necessary to get anywhere.This is OK while you are a capable driver but,just my opinion,far too many elderly people are incapable of driving safely but do so because they are stuck out in the wilds.Many years ago we were on a mountain road when we were hit by a car which suddenly crossed onto our side & almost tipped us over the edge.The driver,an 80years plus man who had driven that road most of his life,told the police that his brain told him to keep straight but he couldn´t make his hands respond.I gave up my car just after I retired & before I might be forced into taking that decision.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 10:24 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of the younger generation who may have problems acquiring large mortgages to live in large cities and happy to live in a rural community and cope with the inevitable issues but take advantage of the benefits.

At one time I believe these offers were made to ex Spanish empire countries to encourage relocation to help save villages dying.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 11:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond reputedougal03 has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is the younger generation grow into being an older generation.The properties are cheap for a reason.I live north of Alicante which has usually more expensive properties on offer than say,Murcia or Almeria.The problem is,as you "Spainrico" rightly say,the Spanish Banks are very reluctant to grant a mortgage to a new young applicant just now,even an average amount.I have had experience of this recently selling a property.There are few things I can applaud our British Govn.for but the recent reduction of,was it CGT,for a mortgage,in UK allowed a young relative to get onto the property ladder there.Spanish Banks will sink the property market soon if they are not more adaptable.At present you have to be quite well heeled to get a look in it seems.No good allowing construction to go ahead if only investors are the only market.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

I applaud any initiative to repopulate "España vacia". Soria is one of the most 'empty' provinces in Spain.
Road infrastructure in Spain is pretty good, considering the size and terrain of the country.
Rural villages will need good infrastructure such as 'fibra optica' for decent internet connections. And medical facilities, schooling fairly local. Climate one can put up with. Winters can be harsh, cold, but dry, snow apart.
It just depends whether people want sun 24/7 with beach. Most Brits probably do, but there are many young Spaniards with enterprising minds.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 12:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Loafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond reputeLoafing Along has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
I applaud any initiative to repopulate "España vacia". Soria is one of the most 'empty' provinces in Spain.
Road infrastructure in Spain is pretty good, considering the size and terrain of the country.
Rural villages will need good infrastructure such as 'fibra optica' for decent internet connections. And medical facilities, schooling fairly local. Climate one can put up with. Winters can be harsh, cold, but dry, snow apart.
It just depends whether people want sun 24/7 with beach. Most Brits probably do, but there are many young Spaniards with enterprising minds.
Soria is amazing , visited not long ago, Caracena a particular "Abandoned village" with the most fantastic small church and historic paintings ( get keys at local bar ) . A short walk took you back a 800 years, nothing but a ruined castle, buzzards flying and some sheep. The bar owners an ex-Iberia crew and a pharmacist, left Madrid and settled there , great story .
Old Nov 14th 2020, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond reputeChipmonk has a reputation beyond repute

I think that would probably need to speak Spanish to have any chance at feeling integrated in these small places
Old Nov 14th 2020, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Retired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond reputeRetired in Euskadi has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing wrong with that! Living in an area depopulated would need people who wish to integrate, surely. Yes, it might put some people off, but youth doesn't always see "problems", only opportunities.
Chris Stewart did it in the Alpujarras.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Anybody who is put off is obviously not the type that the villages want and need.

Yes Chris Stewart is a fine example.

I cannot speak for Soria but I have walked in remote villages in Extremadura and the 4G coverage was excellent which I believe is an initiative by the government to induce people to either stay (if native) or encourage people to populate these areas.

I would think many would love to leave Madrid and live a healthier lifestyle (much like people are leaving London) the benefit here is that rural property is cheap unlike villages in the UK.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 8:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Galicia has 3,562 abandoned villages, and that number rises by one every week

Today, the low birthrate and Spain’s ageing society – as well as poor infrastructure – have hit Galicia hard. It has 3,562 abandoned villages and that number rises by one every week, according to Spain’s national statistics body INE.

From 2019 https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...cia-on-the-map
Old Nov 14th 2020, 8:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Anybody who is put off is obviously not the type that the villages want and need.

Yes Chris Stewart is a fine example.

I cannot speak for Soria but I have walked in remote villages in Extremadura and the 4G coverage was excellent which I believe is an initiative by the government to induce people to either stay (if native) or encourage people to populate these areas.

I would think many would love to leave Madrid and live a healthier lifestyle (much like people are leaving London) the benefit here is that rural property is cheap unlike villages in the UK.
At the end of the day it's supply and demand. Of course UK is more densely populated but even in the UK rural property is very cheap. It's different in England if you want to live in a village close to London but look at Scotland or Northern Ireland and even Wales can be cheap. This is another interesting point https://www.bbc.com/worklife/article...housing-market
Spain has one of the highest percentages of flat residents in Europe, according to Eurostat. Almost two-thirds of the population live in flats, the highest rate for any EU nation apart from Latvia. In Italy, the proportion is around half, and in France it’s just over a third. In the UK, flat-dwellers only make up 15% of the population. Some 65% of homes for sale in Spain are flats, according to Fernando Encinar of Spanish property site Idealista, compared to just 25% on UK site Rightmove.
Old Nov 14th 2020, 9:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Bulgaria for many years from the early 1990's, and we saw there the same trend. Many villages declined as the younger people left for the towns. There was a fashion for Brits - and other foreigners - to buy properties in these decaying and semi-derelict villages. The villages are still there - still semi-derelict. The Brits have died off or just gone back home.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.