British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Spain. A trial run? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/spain-trial-run-869991/)

sbutty Jan 3rd 2016 6:55 pm

Spain. A trial run?

Hi all!

I'm a long time reader/lurker and have got a lot from everyone's posts here so thought it about time I said something!!! Haha my partner and I really love Spain and plan to eventually move out there. Our holidays there keep getting longer ( a month plus) and our wedding is taking place there this Autumn. We have this plan, that, after my partners studies finish in 2018 (studying languages with particular attention to Spanish) I would take a 3-4 month career break from my job, leave enough money here for the mortgage to tick over and we come out to Spain on a trial run. Rent somewhere for a few months, get a taste for life in Spain, see if there's any work etc etc. We would need to save and take money there to live on but would be hoping to get by on as little as poss and as simply as we could. We were hoping this might be long enough and sensible enough to see if it's for us before we take the big leap and if my partner manages to find work and miraculously it works out I'd come home for a month to sort our house out and my job. If not, we'd come Home and go back to work without any issues. I wondered what your thoughts might be on this trial run idea and what you did and would recommend. As I say we are 2 and a bit years away from this yet and just exploring ideas at the moment. would be hoping to rent cheapy in or around Benalmadena/ Arroyo de la Miel. Anybody else close this area and have any advice? Many Thanks guys :)

Rosemary Jan 3rd 2016 7:29 pm

Re: Spain. A trial run?

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

missile Jan 3rd 2016 9:19 pm

Sounds like a plan and I hope it works out for you are your partner.

sbutty Jan 3rd 2016 10:26 pm

Thanks. The heart wants to go wading straight in but the head says a trial few months might be the best option. As mentioned, our holidays there are quite lengthy already so I don't predict getting homesick quickly however, living and finding work is much different to holidaying

Countryboy1 Jan 4th 2016 9:12 am

A trial run is always a good idea, but the downside is that you don't treat it as a "real" move of country and the change of mind set this involves. Also any look at employment opportunities will be somewhat hampered by your lack of permanence, all you can do is test the water so to speak.
Good luck though.

jenkins28 Jan 5th 2016 3:33 pm

Hi
we are 2 40 year old guys moving to Benidorm in sept 2016
enquiring about work situation out there at the moment,both been in hospitality all our lives,as chefs and managers of bars,restaurants etc.is September a good time to be coming over to find work and settle permantely

Rosemary Jan 5th 2016 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by jenkins28 (Post 11828735)
Hi
enquiring about work situation out there at the moment,both been in hospitality all our lives,as chefs and managers of bars,restaurants etc.is September a good time to be coming over to find work and settle permantely

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary

mikelincs Jan 5th 2016 4:23 pm

Hi

You are choosing to move at a time when the hospitality area is downsizing for the winter, so what can you bring to the table to get people to choose you over all the other people wanting the dwindling number of jobs at that time?
You do realise that unemployment in Spain is one of the highest in the EU, and hospitality jobs are amongst the lowest paid. How good s your Spanish? you will need to be fairly fluent to get anything other than basic jobs, and with basic jobs you will struggle to make enough money to pay rental. You will need to factor in healthcare costs unless you can get contracted jobs as many hospitality jobs a paid cash in hand (on the black), however if you can bring over enough money to tide you over for at least 6-8 months and the tourist season restarts, then you may be in luck.

tebo53 Jan 5th 2016 4:45 pm

Hi

Hello you two,
I live in Benidorm and have got to know a good number of people. Those people have all types of trades and experience. As Benidorm relies on the hospitality industry and have waiting lists of people waiting for jobs to materialise. A couple of friends go round every day asking about any jobs available. As has been mentioned, September is generally slow down time in Benidorm but there again it's the right time for getting long term rentals.
All the best to you
Steve

Rosemary Jan 5th 2016 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by tebo53 (Post 11828785)
Hello you two,
I live in Benidorm and have got to know a good number of people. Those people have all types of trades and experience. As Benidorm relies on the hospitality industry and have waiting lists of people waiting for jobs to materialise. A couple of friends go round every day asking about any jobs available. As has been mentioned, September is generally slow down time in Benidorm but there again it's the right time for getting long term rentals.
All the best to you
Steve

I saw a sign on the door of an entertainment venue saying that they had a vacancy for a bar person. I walked back that way an hour later and it was gone.

Rosemary

sbutty Jan 5th 2016 9:34 pm

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice everyone. Excited to do it but rightfully nervous about it. Think the trial idea is the way to go!

Muchos gracias a todos