Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain sets a new record for foreign visitors in April

Spain sets a new record for foreign visitors in April

Old Jun 11th 2023, 8:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain sets a new record for foreign visitors in April

Originally Posted by Notdunroamin
In terms of climate/pollution all it's really doing is transferring the potential harm from one place to another.
At least once here holiday makers generally tend to stay in or around one locale making their contribution to local pollution minimal and almost wholly from the air travel or a long car journey.

Glad you put a ? after bad for the locals!
I think there are more factors to consider when it comes to pollution/climate than the actual journey. It's everything from the way we holiday and the amount of people in already drought prone areas.
Hotels dump wastewater in the sea, food consumption, trampling, littering etc.
I suppose one could also argue that it's often better for the environment if an area has more temporary holiday homes (personal use) compared to an area that has massive hotels and all year round permanent residents. Then again if somebody from Alicante goes on holiday to a less populated/not so touristy wetter area in Galicia, they are saving water back home.
Old Jun 11th 2023, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I think the locals are impacted especially when the level of Air BnB means there is insufficient property to rent or buy at sensible prices....

but then again they provide a lot of employment and revenue so it is a difficult balancing act.

I would think mass tourism is bad for the planet but cannot see it stopping any time soon unless the Ukraine situation extends wider.

By the way, anybody who wants to read about the changing face of the Spanish coastline during the 50/60s try 'Voices of the Old Sea' by Norman Lewis.

'absorbing elegy for a society hanging on to a life that had remained unchanged for centuries'

Norman Lewis – Voices of the Old Sea…

“By the end…it was clear that Spain’s spiritual and cultural isolation was at an end, overwhelmed by the great alien invasion from the North of money and freedoms. Spain became the most visited tourist country in the World, and slowly, as the foreigners poured in, its identity was submerged, its life-style altered more in a single decade than in the previous century.” – Norman Lewis – ‘Voices of the Old Sea’.

Old Jun 11th 2023, 11:08 pm

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spainrico
Yes, I think the locals are impacted especially when the level of Air BnB means there is insufficient property to rent or buy at sensible prices....

but then again they provide a lot of employment and revenue so it is a difficult balancing act.

I would think mass tourism is bad for the planet but cannot see it stopping any time soon unless the Ukraine situation extends wider.

By the way, anybody who wants to read about the changing face of the Spanish coastline during the 50/60s try 'Voices of the Old Sea' by Norman Lewis.

'absorbing elegy for a society hanging on to a life that had remained unchanged for centuries'

“By the end…it was clear that Spain’s spiritual and cultural isolation was at an end, overwhelmed by the great alien invasion from the North of money and freedoms. Spain became the most visited tourist country in the World, and slowly, as the foreigners poured in, its identity was submerged, its life-style altered more in a single decade than in the previous century.” – Norman Lewis – ‘Voices of the Old Sea’.
Thanks for the recommendation, will have a look.

Rosemary
Old Jun 12th 2023, 1:56 am
BE Forum Addict

spainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond reputespainrico has a reputation beyond repute

I remember posting a very long time ago a list of (IMO) excellent and interesting books written in the 20th century about life etc in Spain - authors like

Gerald Brenan, V.S. Pritchett, Laurie Lee, James Morris, Michael Jacobs...(and many more specifically on the Spanish Civil War)

I have accumulated quite a collection which I re-read when in the mood!
Old Jun 12th 2023, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Notdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond reputeNotdunroamin has a reputation beyond repute

One thing the figure do do is drive a coach and horse through the laments by so called 'swallows' that denying them indeterminate stays creates any sort of detectable hole in the Spanish economy!
Old Jun 13th 2023, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the pointer. Can't criticise you for making expensive recommendations, just ordered a copy on ebay for £2.27 delivered UK! Look forward to reading it
Old Jun 13th 2023, 5:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sounds like a bargain - I hope you enjoy it. He wrote many non-fiction books about travel and articles for serious newspapers.
Old Jun 13th 2023, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem the UK press would like to scupper the good news re Spanish tourism. Articles similar to this were in lots of UK papers and online last month. Yes I know these rules exist and they were discussed at some length on here when introduced post brexit. I don't know anyone visiting that has been asked re money they have, proof of address etc. I wonder if Uk Government want to deter overseas holidays and boost UK tourism.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...er-93-27117874
Old Jun 14th 2023, 10:19 am
DLC
BE Forum Addict

DLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond reputeDLC has a reputation beyond repute

Not just last month but a year ago too.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

rbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond reputerbs_gb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
It would seem the UK press would like to scupper the good news re Spanish tourism. Articles similar to this were in lots of UK papers and online last month. Yes I know these rules exist and they were discussed at some length on here when introduced post brexit. I don't know anyone visiting that has been asked re money they have, proof of address etc. I wonder if Uk Government want to deter overseas holidays and boost UK tourism.
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/what...er-93-27117874
I honestly don't think anyone will be put off coming to Spain with those sort of articles, often referred to as "click bait". Those kind of "news" outlets need page views to get revenue, and they all know full well that as soon as they put "spain" and "holiday" in the headline that they will get thousands of clicks and shares on social media. Once clicked on, you will also notice that there are even more stories along a similar ilk, simply to get more clicks.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 10:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rbs_gb
I honestly don't think anyone will be put off coming to Spain with those sort of articles, often referred to as "click bait". Those kind of "news" outlets need page views to get revenue, and they all know full well that as soon as they put "spain" and "holiday" in the headline that they will get thousands of clicks and shares on social media. Once clicked on, you will also notice that there are even more stories along a similar ilk, simply to get more clicks.
it was in lots of papers and as was previously mentioned not this year but last year same time of the year. I don't doubt either that many will take any notice. The point is though it is not by chance I would guess that it comes out at the time of year that many are considering their summer holiday. These rules caused concern on here when first mentioned there was a long debate re it and what constitutes authority to stay with friends or relatives. It was just something I noticed and my thoughts on what's behind it. Where I mentioned government was tongue in cheek more likely rabid brexiteer press.
Old Jun 14th 2023, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yep, I think that the fact that it is repeated year on year, similar stories around the time when everyone has holidays booked tells you it is click bait. Probably not even thinking about brexit pro or contra, and I doubt very much comes from any campaign by Spanish authorities. The stories have just enough accuracy to be valid. Part and parcel of the online world!
Old Jun 15th 2023, 12:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by rbs_gb
The stories have just enough accuracy to be valid. Part and parcel of the online world!
Agreed
Old Jun 16th 2023, 6:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond reputeStingychips has a reputation beyond repute

”overwhelmed by an Alien invasion”?. Imagine saying that in this day and age. Spain was broke by the constant infighting for hundreds of years. When Francos tourism minister opened up the gates for Spain, he saved Spain. The economy then became one of the fastest growing on the planet , only behind Japan who were rapidly rebuilding after WW2. El Milagro español.
Old Jun 16th 2023, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Not sure how Norman would have coped with these PC/woke days....

But in fact, he was right: Alien - belonging to a foreign country

Funny how it changed things for the poor fishermen who lived on the coast (whilst their brothers and others owned the rich farming lands behind the coast) they became rich and employed.

But later it turned again as the farmers became rich by selling off their lands for building houses etc.