Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Oct 17th 2010, 6:48 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by SaritaBarcelona
My parents have been debating whether to move to Spain either long-term or part of the year, and my father would move lock stock and barrel tomorrow if he could. My mother, however, won't even consider it, she loves England and that's that. We could argue till the cows come about this is better, that is better, but really what is important is what is right for the individual. Personally I am very happy here on the CDS, I recognise why people may criticise this area (no names no pack drill) but it has everything I need to be happy, especially with a family. I love being able to take my son to a feria and to free children's shows, to run around a square in the evening, eat and have fun, not tucked up in bed at 7pm without fail. I love being able to take him to a park in the middle of October wearing shorts and T-shirt, being able to swim outdoors for half the year. I love paying 1.20 for a beer and a tapa in the local bars, being able to walk along the beach in the sunshine for much of the year, and heading off in the car when I fancy countryside, lakes and mountains. Spain has many, many problems that we are all aware of (as does the UK now, as we are seeing), but the quality of life remains fantastic even on a limited budget (believe you me, I know that more than many right now). I don't knock the UK for the sake of it, but it just isn't for me anymore. When I am there I appreciate the lovely things about it but it is not enough to keep me there.
Fantastic post. If a country is for you it doesn't mean the one you left behind is necessarily bad.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 8:57 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
You are spanish?

I am.

I have often noticed that if you walk past a cafe or restaurant in Spain and hear people belly laughing, they are probably British! (my husband has noticed it too and he is South American.) I love Spain and its people, but believe (and always argue to my Spanish friends) that the British sense of humour is unparalleled. I once worked in a boring government job in Reading but I have never laughed so much as when I worked there! (like The Office only funnier.) I can't imagine this kind of mickey-taking humour in a Spanish workplace.
You are right about that, I dont know if it is the people or the English language and the way it is formed, that lifts the British sense of humor way above other nationalities.

in comparison there are much fewer belly laughs in Spanish company than British.
My wife and I often get off the phone nearly in tears due to laughing so much when speaking to those left behind in the UK.
They tell us about everyday situations, but in such a humorous way, that even the bad news is peppered with comic moments.

I do not have this same sence of " alway finding something to laugh about" when speaking with Spanish people.

Of course this is not always the case as there are load of British who seem to have had a "complete sense of humor and personality bypass".
And some Spanish who are the life and soul and whitty to boot.

But on the whole, I found that that the greater the number of Brits per square meter = more laughs per hour.

My parents have been debating whether to move to Spain either long-term or part of the year, and my father would move lock stock and barrel tomorrow if he could. My mother, however, won't even consider it, she loves England and that's that. We could argue till the cows come about this is better, that is better, but really what is important is what is right for the individual. Personally I am very happy here on the CDS, I recognise why people may criticise this area (no names no pack drill) but it has everything I need to be happy, especially with a family. I love being able to take my son to a feria and to free children's shows, to run around a square in the evening, eat and have fun, not tucked up in bed at 7pm without fail. I love being able to take him to a park in the middle of October wearing shorts and T-shirt, being able to swim outdoors for half the year. I love paying 1.20 for a beer and a tapa in the local bars, being able to walk along the beach in the sunshine for much of the year, and heading off in the car when I fancy countryside, lakes and mountains. Spain has many, many problems that we are all aware of (as does the UK now, as we are seeing), but the quality of life remains fantastic even on a limited budget (believe you me, I know that more than many right now). I don't knock the UK for the sake of it, but it just isn't for me anymore. When I am there I appreciate the lovely things about it but it is not enough to keep me there.
Nice post nena, most of us on the forum would agree 100, we are not here because we hated the uK, we just felt like bit of a change, and we love it.

Old Oct 17th 2010, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Yet the hundreds of thousands of Rumanians now in Spain (and not a few Portuguese) were already in Europe!!!!!

Incidentally we've just had a Rumanian guy put in our floors in our place in London. He was fantastic at a very reasonable price, I have to admit grudgingly....no wonder our guys can't compete.
Every Romanian, Bulgarian, Pole and Czech, apart from the gypsies and gangsters, whom I have met or had dealings with speak excellent English, Spanish and usually have some German, Russian and French and are tireless workers, an asset to any host country they go to. We Brits are lucky to be here as we seem to give little back to our hosts.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:17 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elspeth sinclair
Every Romanian, Bulgarian, Pole and Czech, apart from the gypsies and gangsters, whom I have met or had dealings with speak excellent English, Spanish and usually have some German, Russian and French and are tireless workers, an asset to any host country they go to. We Brits are lucky to be here as we seem to give little back to our hosts.
Heh, I suspect you're going to get some strong comments following a statement like that! I suppose a lot of posters will state it's British pounds that helped build the resorts...
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

casa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond reputecasa del sol has a reputation beyond repute

I love Spain and I love England for different reasons, England is my home, my roots where I was born and bred, where my family is...Spain is my country of adoption, but I mean the 'real Spain' living amongst the real Spanish people, I admire their sense of community, family values, faith, resilience, simple and non materialistic ways...qualities the UK can learn from and will hold them in good stead going into the future.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 2:36 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

I too think Spain is a great place to live. Especially when children are very young.

But now I am back in England and feel at home. I am so much more happier here and so are my kids. It´s a different lifestyle and a lifestyle I personally prefer.

The sunshine and pools..great for holidays but not permenant living. I wish I could have more of the holidays in Spain but my home and heart and friends and family are in England. I love the comedy, the banter, the humour..it lifts my soul and in Spain I feel souless, with little laughter. The social life in Spain to me was more serious and restrained.

Spain for older retired people is fantastic..maybe we will return but once my children have finished their schooling.

Everyone is different..but Spain is second best for me-England first.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 3:37 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

We Brits are lucky to be here as we seem to give little back to our hosts.
Only all our UK salaries/pensions every month, provide Gardeners, cleaner etc. with jobs. "Hosts" what rubbish
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

elspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud ofelspeth sinclair has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Only all our UK salaries/pensions every month, provide Gardeners, cleaner etc. with jobs. "Hosts" what rubbish
The old argument! Wherever we live we spend our pensions and savings on just living and a fortunate few have cleaners and gardeners who I sus pect they don't give contracts to or pay there contributions hence no dole money once the job ends. l spoke to a Spanish woman the other day who told me that she had never paid any contributions because she had always worked for foreigners and earned only black money and now she wants to be legal but has no fiscal history in her own country and is being asked difficult questions. she thought the well would never run dry but it has. In the 18 years I have lived here my hosts have never asked me any questions for which I'm grateful.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:11 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Whatever the money is spent on if you live in spain and your money comes out of the UK it is benefitting the spanish economy.

Do you really know the meaning of the word host...you are a bun short of a dozen!

Last edited by jackytoo; Oct 17th 2010 at 4:15 pm.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Whatever the money is spent on if you live in spain and your money comes out of the UK it is benefitting the spanish economy.

Do you really know the meaning of the word host...you are a bun short of a dozen!
I didn't invent the phrase 'host country' or hosts. How would you know if I were a bun short of a dozen?
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:27 pm
Banned

So what does Spain "provide" to British people living in Spain and have income from the UK
Old Oct 17th 2010, 4:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

So what does Spain "provide" to British people living in Spain and have income from the UK
In my case very low cost of living, rubbish collection six days a week, excellent public transport, up to now amazing healthcare, mainly for my husband who is my dependant diabetic. A safe environment with caring and extremely amusing neighbours, an excellent climate and an unlimited supply of seasonable fruit and vegetables at giveaway prices. A dentist when I need one, no waiting lists and at a reasonable cost, a wonderful library service and courteous service wherever I go. For most Brits cheap booze and cigarettes and the wonderful menus del dia when you don't want to cook. For me the opportunity to teach English as a foreign language and exhibit my paintings in Casas de cultura without charge and all at my great age.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:08 pm
Banned

No health care if you haven't paid for it. If you are a UK pensioner the UK pay for your health care.....rubbish collections have to be paid for (by some anyway) Utter drivel from you as usual. The rest you could get in any country eg Dentist!
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:12 pm
Not Banned (yet)

In my case very low cost of living, rubbish collection six days a week, excellent public transport, up to now amazing healthcare, mainly for my husband who is my dependant diabetic. A safe environment with caring and extremely amusing neighbours, an excellent climate and an unlimited supply of seasonable fruit and vegetables at giveaway prices. A dentist when I need one, no waiting lists and at a reasonable cost, a wonderful library service and courteous service wherever I go. For most Brits cheap booze and cigarettes and the wonderful menus del dia when you don't want to cook. For me the opportunity to teach English as a foreign language and exhibit my paintings in Casas de cultura without charge and all at my great age.
I often disagree with your posts Elspeth as they seem unnecessarily provocative, but I think this post sums up the advantages of Spain for many people, so karma given. Of course there are many good aspects to life in the UK too, and for me London (where I'm currently based) is a great place to be. I really can't understand those who can only see bad things about one country or the other, but I should be more sympathetic. If you're stuck in a country you hate, life must seem to get worse daily.
Old Oct 17th 2010, 5:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

No health care if you haven't paid for it. If you are a UK pensioner the UK pay for your health care.....rubbish collections have to be paid for (by some anyway) Utter drivel from you as usual. The rest you could get in any country eg Dentist!
Thank you kind sir or madam as the case may be.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.