Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:27 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Sometimes people criticise their country because they love it...ever read the spanish forums? They really do bash the place, the beaches are shit, high prices etc.
That's right, but it's like us, it's alright for us to slag off our own country, but will vigorously defend it if an outsider does. I have just been reading a series of articles by highly qualified Spanish youngsters that cannot find a job, they are highly critical of Spain, but I bet if I said what they have, they'd fight their corner.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:28 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
That's right, but it's like us, it's alright for us to slag off our own country, but will vigorously defend it if an outsider does. I have just been reading a series of articles by highly qualified Spanish youngsters that cannot find a job, they are highly critical of Spain, but I bet if I said what they have, they'd fight their corner.
I understand what you are saying and I can understand the highly qualified
Spanish who cannot get a job when they moan about Spain. The feel cheated, all the money spent all the studying, to end up on the dole with no dole, or a dead end job.

What I cannot understand is when someone has a good education from their home country that enables them to live in the country of their dreams, somone who owns a property in their home country and rents it out for a lot more than the pay for renting in the new country, and they have not got a good word to say about the people or the country they have left ie. their homeland, and goes out of their way to say how rubbish their home country is at every opportunity.

Now that to me is very bewildering..............and quite fraknly I cant understand the logic behind it.

As I say if you have been dunped on from a great height by our own country fair enough, critisize, but not when taking all the advantages that is has given.

Last edited by JLFS; Sep 28th 2010 at 5:30 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Spanish who cannot get a job when they moan about Spain. The feel cheated, all the money spent all the studying, to end up on the dole with no dole, or a dead end job.

What I cannot understand is when someone has a good education from their home country that enables them to live in the country of their dreams, somone who owns a property in their home country and rents it out for a lot more than the pay for renting in the new country, and they have not got a good word to say about the people or the country they have left ie. their homeland, and goes out of their way to say how rubbish their home country is at every opportunity.

Now that to me is very bewildering..............and quite fraknly I cant understand the logic behind it.

As I say if you have been dunped on from a great height by our own country fair enough, critisize, but not when taking all the advantages that is has given.
That's because you obsessively quote me out of context

I've said many times that the UK is a nice country and a good place to live, especially for a young person who wants to find a good job.

But at the same time I prefer personally to live in Spain for lots of reasons I've mentioned and it is possible to have a great life here, at any age. I have to say that the UK for me is quite a safety net as I know if things went terribly wrong in Spain I could go back to London and get a good job within a month.

A lot of the times when I criticise the UK it is in answering something someone has said which I feel is unfair about Spain.

What I feel is weird is just how much lack of respect and spite there is for Spain on this forum and this is from people who have left another country and chosen to come and live here. That they always seem to look on the negative side of everything is beyond me - and just plain weird.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:40 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
That's because you obsessively quote me out of context

I've said many times that the UK is a nice country and a good place to live, especially for a young person who wants to find a good job.

But at the same time I prefer personally to live in Spain for lots of reasons I've mentioned and it is possible to have a great life here, at any age. I have to say that the UK for me is quite a safety net as I know if things went terribly wrong in Spain I could go back to London and get a good job within a month.

A lot of the times when I criticise the UK it is in answering something someone has said which I feel is unfair about Spain.

What I feel is weird is just how much lack of respect and spite there is for Spain on this forum and this is from people who have left another country and chosen to come and live here. That they always seem to look on the negative side of everything is beyond me - and just plain weird.
I think you are confusing being NEGATIVE, with being REALISTIC.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are confusing being NEGATIVE, with being REALISTIC.
Well maybe realistic for someone who has very low standards

Expect more and get more!

For example those who complain about cr*p supermarket food say they go to Mercadona or Al Campo. Well yes I agree it is cr*p there, so go to Hipercor or the local markets where it is much better.

And yes the beaches on the CDs are ugly, so go to Cádiz or Almeria etc etc

People who say there is no culture on the CDS, I've just spent the afternoon in Malaga, culture, museums and theatres everywhere!

People say the Spaniards wont give you a good job for being a guiri, well I've been offered 3 very good jobs in the past 5 years in Spain with well above salaries (I only took one though). You have to get out there and talk to people.

There are plenty of alternatives in Spain. People wont open their eyes to see them, they just want to have a moan and to stay in their safe little bubble close to home, the English Iceland, the international school etc. Very safe, but very dull!

Last edited by cricketman; Sep 28th 2010 at 5:50 pm.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 5:54 pm
Banned

Well maybe realistic for someone who has very low standards

Expect more and get more!
yOU REALLY ARE A MORON.

you know sweet FA about life.

You live in the country of your dreams "as you say", you earn a good wage (as you say) you have a good education (as you say)
you rent ot your property in London (as you say).

Most of the immigrants to the UK in the time that mine and my wifes family went to live there, went with the clothes that they stood up in. AND NOT MUCH ELSE.

And although their own country did not favour them, and they had to emigrate to be able to feed their children and live ith a bit of dignity, even then they did not slag off their home country or its people the way you do, AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

You turn every post around so that you can call the Brits conmen and such, and it is quite sickening, you are trying way too hard, without it being sicophantic.....

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?????
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

yOU REALLY ARE A MORON.

you know sweet FA about life.

You live in the country of your dreams "as you say", you earn a good wage (as you say) you have a good education (as you say)
you rent ot your property in London (as you say).

Most of the immigrants to the UK in the time that mine and my wifes family went to live there, went with the clothes that they stood up in. AND NOT MUCH ELSE.

And although their own country did not favour them, and they had to emigrate to be able to feed their children and live ith a bit of dignity, even then they did not slag off their home country or its people the way you do, AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY.

You turn every post around so that you can call the Brits conmen and such, and it is quite sickening, you are trying way too hard, without it being sicophantic.....

WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU?????
Did you not read this?

"I've said many times that the UK is a nice country and a good place to live, especially for a young person who wants to find a good job."

Shall I repeat it again?

"I've said many times that the UK is a nice country and a good place to live, especially for a young person who wants to find a good job."

There is not much wrong with the UK. I repeat I have chosen to live in Spain, and so have you!
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

This 23 year old, with the following qualifications, is delighted to be going to UK as an au pair for £60 a week all in. What a waste!
la ya mujer tiene una licenciatura en Comunicación Audiovisual, un máster en Periodismo, títulos de F.P.O., multitud de cursos y seminarios, muchas (demasiadas) becas en importantes empresas de España, un expediente académico brillante y está PARADA.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

This 23 year old, with the following qualifications, is delighted to be going to UK as an au pair for £60 a week all in. What a waste!
la ya mujer tiene una licenciatura en Comunicación Audiovisual, un máster en Periodismo, títulos de F.P.O., multitud de cursos y seminarios, muchas (demasiadas) becas en importantes empresas de España, un expediente académico brillante y está PARADA.
Yes I read that one, there is a whole series of articles in El Pais at the moment from people who feel Spain has let them down.

I guess people have mis-understood me or maybe I have given the wrong impression! This forum is to talk about your experiences with Spain. I post to say in Spain there ARE opportunities for young people, good jobs, good salaries etc. Because yes there are.

However, there is a big BUT

It is much harder to establish yourself in Spain, especially if you are young and just starting out. It is not impossible, I know lots of people who have done very well, but also lots dont do so well. For them, they would be much better off in London for example where there are way more opportunities for young people.

We went to London straight after uni because we thought it would be too difficult to get a good job straight from uni in Spain because companies dont trust people with no experience. It was only after 5 years in London we thought we could then make a good go of it in Spain, and in many ways we were right, but also the contacts we made in London have helped us no end.

One country cannot have everything. A lot of the bad things about Spain are great in the UK, and vice versa.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:52 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

How does this add to the argument? There was a tragic case only a few weeks ago of a young girl killing herself in the UK because she had 100s of job rejections. Or you can look up the 1000s (yes 1000s) of newly qualified teachers in Scotland who can't get work - and this situation will worsen over the next year with the coming cuts. It certainly doesn't make the UK a bad place if you're lucky enough to find work. Good luck to the 23 year old - she's at an age where she possibly doesn't have to worry about bills and can concentrate on improving her English, adapting to a new culture etc.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Yes I read that one, there is a whole series of articles in El Pais at the moment from people who feel Spain has let them down.
Yes, I have read all that series, interesting stuff.
http://www.elpais.com/especial/prepa...?page=1&np=45&
Old Sep 28th 2010, 9:26 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

I have to stand up for the Netherlands, although I think the 30 hour work week should be more like 32... the hours of sunshine are obviously detrimental.

But having been born and bred a south Texas barefoot girl, I like sunlight and warmth.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 1:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Some K from me.

That is how I feel....

What I miss most about being in Spain, is the british sense of humour, the Spanish one is not nearly as funny or witty.
You are spanish?
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

I have often noticed that if you walk past a cafe or restaurant in Spain and hear people belly laughing, they are probably British! (my husband has noticed it too and he is South American.) I love Spain and its people, but believe (and always argue to my Spanish friends) that the British sense of humour is unparalleled. I once worked in a boring government job in Reading but I have never laughed so much as when I worked there! (like The Office only funnier.) I can't imagine this kind of mickey-taking humour in a Spanish workplace.
Old Oct 16th 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

SaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of lightSaritaBarcelona is a glorious beacon of light

My parents have been debating whether to move to Spain either long-term or part of the year, and my father would move lock stock and barrel tomorrow if he could. My mother, however, won't even consider it, she loves England and that's that. We could argue till the cows come about this is better, that is better, but really what is important is what is right for the individual. Personally I am very happy here on the CDS, I recognise why people may criticise this area (no names no pack drill) but it has everything I need to be happy, especially with a family. I love being able to take my son to a feria and to free children's shows, to run around a square in the evening, eat and have fun, not tucked up in bed at 7pm without fail. I love being able to take him to a park in the middle of October wearing shorts and T-shirt, being able to swim outdoors for half the year. I love paying 1.20 for a beer and a tapa in the local bars, being able to walk along the beach in the sunshine for much of the year, and heading off in the car when I fancy countryside, lakes and mountains. Spain has many, many problems that we are all aware of (as does the UK now, as we are seeing), but the quality of life remains fantastic even on a limited budget (believe you me, I know that more than many right now). I don't knock the UK for the sake of it, but it just isn't for me anymore. When I am there I appreciate the lovely things about it but it is not enough to keep me there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.