Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:44 pm
  #61  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by cricketman
What rubbish. I only try to give examples to my opinions and experience because people like you dont believe them and I am trying to create a context

I wont bother from now on. You continually dont believe anything I say so what is the point. You just dont want to admit that it is possible to live a good quality of life in Spain, have a good job, good salary, good education etc.
It is and I have examples all around me.
i do believe that you can have all that in Spain, I have a pretty good lifestyle myself,as do other posters on this forum, but I am not so fixated on painting Spain as a eutopia that I cannot see hardship., or short poeple, who only speak one language and I unlike you have friends who have "menial jobs".

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
There again all you have to do is observe the customers in 100s of Madrid restaurants, look at all the new cars travelling down the Castellana (or in other big cities), note the daily travellers on the AVE fast train, or even observe the numbers of Madrilenos occupying resorts in summer (even in London) to realise that there are Spanish who are doing well - and they're not all employees of Santander bank or Zara either. Like most countries you have well-off people as well as poor people. Why CM gets stick for pointing this out says more about those criticising him, I'm afraid.

Nobody is arguing with him about certain things, but what gets up peoplen nose is the fact that he runs down the UK at every given opportunity. This thread is a prime example.

TLF told his story about the police and his exerience, and it ended up with CMAN, talking about how bad it is with the armed police in the UK and how "uneasy" it made hime feel.
Seeing them all tooled up like the A TEAM.
So he comes to live in a country where the police are armed..............very smart. It is like being afraid of cats qnd buyine a freakin tiger........

And basically he gets stick for his stupid comments about the UK, not for his opinions about Spain because he sometimes makes sence.
But lets face it most if not all of us (myself included) are here in Spain because the UK has been good to us in one way or another.

And according to him all the British are ripoff merchants, lazy con men and sh*tes in general, which is not the opinion I have of them. And after all he is not insulting me , he is insulting the likes of you. His superioty complex is astounding....

Last edited by JLFS; Sep 28th 2010 at 1:48 pm.
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:50 pm
  #62  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by cricketman
I'm sure there are, obviously I didnt meet them all.

I lived in a rather nice part of South West London, very close to Mr Clegg. But I didnt see the police goings on there, that was when I was at uni in the North!
Thats right get the northerners backs up now........innit?


Priceless......
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:51 pm
  #63  
jdr
RETIRED ;-))
 
jdr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2003
Location: Benalmadena Pueblo,Spain
Posts: 20,156
jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by jackytoo
I wont bother from now on. You continually dont believe anything I say so what is the point. You just dont want to admit that it is possible to live a good quality of life in Spain, have a good job, good salary, good education etc.

It is and I have examples all around me.



I would find that easier to believe if you didn't live in Benalmadeeeena
You`re making those sweeping statements again, you are agroDiarrhea in disguise and I claim my 5 pound prize.
jdr is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:26 pm
  #64  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 185
labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by JLFS
i do believe that you can have all that in Spain, I have a pretty good lifestyle myself,as do other posters on this forum, but I am not so fixated on painting Spain as a eutopia that I cannot see hardship., or short poeple, who only speak one language and I unlike you have friends who have "menial jobs".




Nobody is arguing with him about certain things, but what gets up peoplen nose is the fact that he runs down the UK at every given opportunity. This thread is a prime example.

TLF told his story about the police and his exerience, and it ended up with CMAN, talking about how bad it is with the armed police in the UK and how "uneasy" it made hime feel.
Seeing them all tooled up like the A TEAM.
So he comes to live in a country where the police are armed..............very smart. It is like being afraid of cats qnd buyine a freakin tiger........

And basically he gets stick for his stupid comments about the UK, not for his opinions about Spain because he sometimes makes sence.
But lets face it most if not all of us (myself included) are here in Spain because the UK has been good to us in one way or another.

And according to him all the British are ripoff merchants, lazy con men and sh*tes in general, which is not the opinion I have of them. And after all he is not insulting me , he is insulting the likes of you. His superioty complex is astounding....
I don't know maybe Cricketman is spanish (or maybe not) and when he hears something bad about Spain he gets a little nervous, like you do when you hear something bad about UK.
It's not nice to criticize the country you left behind, it's not nice to criticize the country you live in. And it's not nice to pick on someone's words. Simple facts we observe will do. You all agree there are so many interesting subjects to discuss and our views are so diverse that we can share peacefully.
labus is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:37 pm
  #65  
BE Forum Addict
 
Rotor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 3,171
Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by JLFS
Thats right get the northerners backs up now........innit?


Priceless......
Perhaps he had to leave the UK having insulted so many with his BS ....now in hiding
Rotor is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:54 pm
  #66  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by labus
I don't know maybe Cricketman is spanish (or maybe not) and when he hears something bad about Spain he gets a little nervous, like you do when you hear something bad about UK.
It's not nice to criticize the country you left behind, it's not nice to criticize the country you live in. And it's not nice to pick on someone's words. Simple facts we observe will do. You all agree there are so many interesting subjects to discuss and our views are so diverse that we can share peacefully.


You could not be more wrong, I am Spanish and he is English.
I always found the English to be friendy, good mates and with a great sense of humour......
And as I have said before it seema as though he has not got a good word to say about his own people, whick is very sad.

And if I were British, I would feel quite insulted by a lot of his remarks.

Last edited by JLFS; Sep 28th 2010 at 2:57 pm.
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 2:58 pm
  #67  
Straw Man.
 
rugbymatt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
Posts: 46,302
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by JLFS
You could not be more wrong, I am Spanish and he is English.
I always found the English to be friendy, good mates and with a great sense of humour......
Don't you just hate it when you type something and as the first replies start to roll in you just wish to all the gods above the ground and bellow it that you hadn't hit "Submit Reply"?

Of course I never feel that way, mainly because I am always right and always perfect.
rugbymatt is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:08 pm
  #68  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Don't you just hate it when you type something and as the first replies start to roll in you just wish to all the gods above the ground and bellow it that you hadn't hit "Submit Reply"?

Of course I never feel that way, mainly because I am always right and always perfect.
So tell us something that we dont already know.......

Oh Lord its hard to be humble,
When you re perfect in every way,
I cant wait to look in the mirror.......
La la la la.........
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:24 pm
  #69  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 185
labus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant futurelabus has a brilliant future
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by JLFS
You could not be more wrong, I am Spanish and he is English.
I always found the English to be friendy, good mates and with a great sense of humour......
And as I have said before it seema as though he has not got a good word to say about his own people, whick is very sad.

And if I were British, I would feel quite insulted by a lot of his remarks.
A minor mistake on my part, the rest I hope remains valid. Please don't prove me wrong, please, please, please
labus is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:25 pm
  #70  
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: May 2009
Location: Alicante province
Posts: 5,753
HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

It’s interesting to have this discussion again, and it’s good to have diverse opinions. Sometimes people say things that are logical but it’s the way they say them that annoys others.

I’ll try and just comment on something I experienced this morning, relevant to the topic under discussion.

I had to visit an urbanisation this morning, a couple of miles from Los Montesinos, about ten miles inland from Torrevieja.

They started building it around eight years ago, and abandoned it two years ago when the developers went bust. About a quarter of the houses were completed, of which perhaps one in thirty is now occupied, mostly as holiday homes. The houses that were completed are of a decent standard, and there is a small commercial centre that is up and running.

After completing my business, I sat outside a large, Spanish-owned bar and looked around. It was like being in the middle of wasteland, perhaps the setting for a spaghetti western (but that’s farther south in Almeria). It really looked depressing, but the sun was shining.

I watched an elderly couple laboriously making their way across waste land and broken pavements until they joined me on the terrace where I was sitting. They had no other choice, it was the only one. We got talking as we were the only customers.

They had just arrived from England to spend some time in their holiday home, which got electric from a joint generator and water from God knows where, but they had a satellite dish and the internet. None of the paperwork for their house was in order and they had paid far too much for it.

They seemed intelligent and sensible people and loved it there. We were surveying the surrounding wasteland in the brilliant sunshine and all agreed that Spain was a lovely place to live.

Nowt as queer as folk, as they say up north.
HBG is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:25 pm
  #71  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,368
agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Don't you just hate it when you type something and as the first replies start to roll in you just wish to all the gods above the ground and bellow it that you hadn't hit "Submit Reply"?
¡trágame tierra! Things we wish we never said.
agoreira is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:36 pm
  #72  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Location: Living in a good place
Posts: 8,824
jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Sometimes people criticise their country because they love it...ever read the spanish forums? They really do bash the place, the beaches are shit, high prices etc. Despite that they wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The same in the UK. of course there is a lot wrong with it but the ridiculous stuff spouted by CM and a few others only makes you defend it as it is so over the top.
jackytoo is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 3:39 pm
  #73  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Sometimes people criticise their country because they love it...ever read the spanish forums? They really do bash the place, the beaches are shit, high prices etc. Despite that they wouldn't want to live anywhere else. The same in the UK. of course there is a lot wrong with it but the ridiculous stuff spouted by CM and a few others only makes you defend it as it is so over the top.
Exactly

I love Spain and I defy anyone to find a post of mine where I have said that I dont, and like the Uk it has its faults.
JLFS is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:09 pm
  #74  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by JLFS
Exactly

I love Spain and I defy anyone to find a post of mine where I have said that I dont, and like the Uk it has its faults.
Despite my Bah humbug comments in the UK thread .... I really do enjoy coming back here, and the time we spend here.

I wonder if we could afford it however

I didnt leave the UK to escape anything like some. I don't stay in Spain because I couldnt face going bacxk there one day either
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Sep 28th 2010, 4:16 pm
  #75  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Despite my Bah humbug comments in the UK thread .... I really do enjoy coming back here, and the time we spend here.

I wonder if we could afford it however

I didnt leave the UK to escape anything like some. I don't stay in Spain because I couldnt face going bacxk there one day either
Some K from me.

That is how I feel....

What I miss most about being in Spain, is the british sense of humour, the Spanish one is not nearly as funny or witty.
JLFS is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.