Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:12 pm
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Except July and August is too hot
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JLFS
Most British are attracted to Spain for sunnier climes and one of the reasons the give for wantting to leave the UK is the rain and cold.
Yes, I should think most Brits in Spain came for that reason whether they admit it or not.

While I dont care for July and August and do not enjoy sunbathing or crowded beaches, I appreciate being able to play a lot more sport without getting wet, and planning a weekend trip without having to be too worried about the weather. Oh, and the extra light in winter

All these things contribute to a better quality of life. Good job the weather can't be governed!
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:40 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I was watching the Spanish news earlier, where they were interviewing people in Madrid. The cameraman concentrated on the female presenter’s legs more than the people she was interviewing.

It’s the little things I like. Another interviewer was talking to a lady baking cakes, and he had his arms around here. I can’t imagine an interviewer in the UK cuddling Nigella Lawson in her kitchen.

On the English news I got absolutely fed up with Ed Miliband’s face, not a pretty leg in sight.

A Spanish tradesman was supposed to call this morning. He phoned at lunchtime to say that he would be here this evening. He phoned again to say that he might come tomorrow. ‘Por la manana?’ ‘Si,si,si,si,si, si!’

When he heard me laughing, he asked why? He made my day, the job’s not too important anyway, and can wait for a few days. It will have to.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:55 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I was watching the Spanish news earlier, where they were interviewing people in Madrid. The cameraman concentrated on the female presenter’s legs more than the people she was interviewing.

It’s the little things I like. Another interviewer was talking to a lady baking cakes, and he had his arms around here. I can’t imagine an interviewer in the UK cuddling Nigella Lawson in her kitchen.

On the English news I got absolutely fed up with Ed Miliband’s face, not a pretty leg in sight.

A Spanish tradesman was supposed to call this morning. He phoned at lunchtime to say that he would be here this evening. He phoned again to say that he might come tomorrow. ‘Por la manana?’ ‘Si,si,si,si,si, si!’

When he heard me laughing, he asked why? He made my day, the job’s not too important anyway, and can wait for a few days. It will have to.
People (retired and and early retired in Spain) find the manana attitude amusing, where as in the UK they would not, could it be something to do with maybe having taking the day off work and losing money while an unprofessional tradesman lets you down.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

People (retired and and early retired in Spain) find the manana attitude amusing, where as in the UK they would not, could it be something to do with maybe having taking the day off work and losing money while an unprofessional tradesman lets you down.
I've learnt the art of persuasion is very important in Spain. If you tell them it is really important and you are about to go on holiday (or something similar) then they turn up no problems.

We even got telefonica to fit our internet the next day "because our job depended on it"

In the UK it tends to be "computer says no" attitude but then appointments are normally kept.

Spain is more flexible, but more annoying as well. Personal relationships matter so much more.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:16 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I've learnt the art of persuasion is very important in Spain. If you tell them it is really important and you are about to go on holiday (or something similar) then they turn up no problems.

We even got telefonica to fit our internet the next day "because our job depended on it"

In the UK it tends to be "computer says no" attitude but then appointments are normally kept.

Spain is more flexible, but more annoying as well. Personal relationships matter so much more.

What has personal relataionships got to do with being let down by a company or tradesman?

Quite honestly I dont know which part of the UK you lived in (and dont really care) but it seems a world away from the UK I know.

We have a flat in the UK, it is empty except when we visit, we have a water meter installed.
We have to have it read every 2 years and we ar notified by post.
About 6 months ago I called to make an appointment for them to read the meter, I think the appointment was for 9.30, they guy came about 9.45, 15 minutes late.

I never gave it a second thought, but when we my wife went to the UK a few months later, there was a check from the water company for 25 pound, for the inconvience as the service agreement was not met.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:50 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
What a crock that survey is! Has ANYONE ever been to Poland? More hours of sunshine that the UK!?
Yes and what a fantastic place it is. Summer is lovely & I would recommend Warsaw to everybody, the only reason I moved to Spain rather than eastern europe is the winter.............. I hate cold
Old Sep 28th 2010, 6:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by licinius
Yes and what a fantastic place it is. Summer is lovely & I would recommend Warsaw to everybody, the only reason I moved to Spain rather than eastern europe is the winter.............. I hate cold

But it must be terrible to find a plumber....they are all in the UK
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Ray51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud ofRay51 has much to be proud of

Not quite ALL ( some are in Belgium ) !
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What has personal relataionships got to do with being let down by a company or tradesman?

Quite honestly I dont know which part of the UK you lived in (and dont really care) but it seems a world away from the UK I know.

Quite a lot!
You need to persuade them why they should keep the appointment

I was in London, the tradesmen there are useless con artists. Every tradesman I met who was a Londoner tried to rip me off. That was until we found ourselves a cheap and reliable Romanian tradesman
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:22 am
BE Enthusiast

licinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond reputelicinius has a reputation beyond repute

It used to be Britain that exported it's skilled workers to thr rest of europe..........
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Every tradesman I met who was a Londoner tried to rip me off
A bit like being in Spain then?
Old Sep 28th 2010, 7:54 am
Banned

Quite a lot!
You need to persuade them why they should keep the appointment

I was in London, the tradesmen there are useless con artists. Every tradesman I met who was a Londoner tried to rip me off. That was until we found ourselves a cheap and reliable Romanian tradesman
Just the type of reply I would expect..............
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Ditto! He must frequent some pretty seedy areas, there are police forever dragging people into alleyways and beating them up! I think I have been here a lot longer than he has, and I've still yet to see it. I believe everything he says though, don't forget he was the man that gave us
You are being silly. Unemployment hasn't even increased in Asturias, they didnt have a building boom you see!

April 2010.
Asturias sufre una de las mayores subidas del paro, que ya supera el 20% en España
- El Principado, con 80.100 parados, pierde 9.200 empleos en tres meses
Old Sep 28th 2010, 8:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Just the type of reply I would expect..............
There must just be the odd one or two good tradesman in the whole of London, how come Grilloman never met one? Perhaps they saw him for what he was and decided he was a soft touch!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.