Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Nov 28th 2010, 9:46 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

The chemist i bought the ointment in was in Pego but a noticed you couldnt buy bars of soap, only seemed to have shower gell or bath creme.
Mystery solved. If you buy soap and shampoo in the pharmacy you will be overcharged. Far more sensible prices in the supermarket (or even better, the "Chino"). It may have changed in the 4 years I've been away (although things seemed the same price on my trip last year) but I never found Madrid, allegedly an expensive city, any more expensive than Oxford or London - quite the contrary. Food, eating out, public transport, rent - all better value at that time. The only things which I found more expensive were printed materials (books, magazines etc) and the price of a pint in the Irish pub - which isn't an essential thing anyway. * Oh yes, and cheese, as mentioned.
I suppose it's difficult to get the true cost of living based just on a holiday trip. I'm sure visitors to London wince when they see prices in the central zone, or in the branded chain places like Costa Coffee (typically 3 pounds for a coffee). Yet once you settle into a location you find out where the cafeteria selling good coffee for £1.30 is, or where you can get a decent haircut for £8.

edit * - clothing also tended to be expensive for what you bought, with the exception of shoes. But that was just my experience
Old Nov 28th 2010, 10:47 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
yeh, sorry about missing you, was the hrs difference i got wrong!
The chemist i bought the ointment in was in Pego but a noticed you couldnt buy bars of soap, only seemed to have shower gell or bath creme. In lanzarote an average meal for two with bottle of ordinary wine, which was awful anyway, i think they used those lamb shanks you get frozen in bags from iceland - was 75 euros...........but i did buy the missus a great pair of REAL Rayban sunglasses for £80 - same ones here were £120 in the sale. Photo below
I think things like meats, cold meats and cheese were very expensive in spain compared to here. - its snowed in hastings overnite!
Yep .... you dont buy shampoo in a chemist shop here if you have the choice. Even mercanonna has it cheaper, but in general if you go to the Chinese shop you can get the very cheapest.

When I go out for a meal here I get three courses, and often a bottle of wine betwen us for between €8 and €12, depending on the day. If I want to go really crazy I can get an extremely good meal for around € 50 to €70

Cheese ... well yes .. although theres a lot of choice, imported cheses are expensive. Spanish cheeses are slightly cheaper. Chicken is cheap here.
Old Nov 28th 2010, 3:50 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaques2go
yeh spains wonderful but apart from the tobacco and alcohol, from the last 2 yrs i have visited, the cost of food and essential things are at least twice that of England, which, sadly, is the reason i have to stay in Hastings, though i enjoy it here, i much prefer the way of life and weather in spain, i only tried to buy a tube of ointment for my girlfriends psoriasis, it was baby cream and £8 as against £1 in england!!! soap and shampoo is 5 times the price...........we spent 2 weeks in the canaries this year, last year a month in pego, cost of living in general is twice that of england.......................
You need to shop in different places when over here.

PS, I bought a pair of new Ray Bans at Fuengirola car boot for 12 €'s, had them tested on the beach at the Embarressing Bodies road show, the Doctor said they were some of the best they had tested and were only letting 6% of sunlight through.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 11:58 am
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

My OH is in the UK at the moment and is bitching about how expensive she is finding it over there.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 1:33 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bil
My OH is in the UK at the moment and is bitching about how expensive she is finding it over there.

Probably just an excuse for spending all your dosh on Christmas shopping and coming back skint.
Old Nov 29th 2010, 3:15 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Probably just an excuse for spending all your dosh on Christmas shopping and coming back skint.
Ah, that'll be it then. I hope to god she doesn't spend it all as I was relying on her bringing some of it back.....