Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Old Sep 27th 2010, 7:34 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

According to the uSwitch quality of life index, France and Spain are the best places to live in Europe.

http://www.uswitch.com/news/money/uk...-index-890419/

The UK came 9th out of the 10 European countries in the Index, thanks to high living costs, below average government spending on health and education, short holidays and late retirement. The Index shows that people in France enjoy the highest quality of life, closely followed by Spain.
I'm not sure how the UK comes so low in the ratings when you look at the (relatively) high household income and the spending figure on education is far higher than Spain. But at least the table on the link gives the relevant breakdown

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 27th 2010 at 7:36 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
According to the uSwitch quality of life index, France and Spain are the best places to live in Europe.

I'm not sure how the UK comes so low in the ratings when you look at the (relatively) high household income and the spending figure on education is far higher than Spain. But at least the table on the link gives the relevant breakdown
Well there must be a reason why hundreds of thousands of British people come to live in Spain!

These surveys are a bit rubbish, I dont know how they calculated that Spaniards get 43 days of holiday a year. They must have taken 30 days plus 13 bank holidays, but that would be very generous and not so typical.

Anyway, what I do agree on is that Spain is one of the best countries to live in and the Spanish people I know seem to be much happier and less cynical than the British people I know.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:06 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Well there must be a reason why hundreds of thousands of British people come to live in Spain!
I don't know if it's possible to find out how many Spanish live/work in the UK, but there must be hundreds of thousands, based on the people I hear on a daily basis. I do know there are more than 200,000 Portuguese in London.

Edit - found this report on Spanish in London, it appears to be from around 2005 figures though

http://www.thinklondon.com/downloads...inAWlowres.pdf

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 27th 2010 at 8:09 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:26 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

A bit strange considering that large numbers of ppl from all over the globe repeatedly risk their necks almost on a daily basis to try and get across that last stretch of water to the UK, when they already have access to the whole of Europe.

Seen so many of these surveys regarding quality of life in the EU, and there's always a huge variation in the criteria applied, as with the end result, so for me they are generally meaningless.
I prefer to judge for myself based on how happy or content ppl. tend to be, and I don't think it can be judged soley on such as financial and facility factors.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:35 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
A bit strange considering that large numbers of ppl from all over the globe repeatedly risk their necks almost on a daily basis to try and get across that last stretch of water to the UK, when they already have access to the whole of Europe.
Aren't the immigration figures to Spain for the last 5/10 years even higher than for the UK ? Some of them also risk their lives floating in on rafts from Africa
12.2% of Spanish resident population are migrants:
http://www.typicallyspanish.com/news...#ixzz0mfQUBQeq

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 27th 2010 at 8:38 am.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I looked at the figures there were 50,000 Spaniards in the UK and over 500,000 British in Spain, that tells you something...

And DD, ever seen the number of people who risk their lives trying to get into Spain? People die all the time trying to cross the Strait into Spain. Dont believe everything you believe in the tabloids.

And the rate of immigration into Spain has been much higher than the rate of immigration into the Uk for the past 10 years or so. The country with the highest rate of immigration in Europe is actually the Ukraine
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:39 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Aren't the immigration figures to Spain for the last 5/10 years even higher than for the UK ? Some of them also risk their lives floating in on rafts from Africa

Who knows what the true figures are for illegal immigration ?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 8:42 am
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
Who knows what the true figures are for illegal immigration ?
Yes, there are lots of illegal Brits in Spain, I'm sure
It's alleged that the biggest number of illegal migrants in the UK are Australians - not sure how they can work that one out though.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:49 am
Just Joined

peterthomas is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Re: Spain is the second best place to live in Europe

Spain is such a diverse country, that its difficult to know where to start. Whether you enjoy the beach, mountains, dry plains, tropical climates, skiing, trekking, long sandy beaches, hidden rocky coves, crisp cold mornings, long warm evenings, sitting by a warm fire watching it snow outside or sitting on a deckchair in the sun, sleepy rural villages, some of Europe's most modern cities, art, Spanish music....... there is simply something for everyone and for every moment.
This is the reason that everybody wants to live in Spain.

Last edited by Fred James; Sep 27th 2010 at 12:01 pm. Reason: Advertising your website is not allowed.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:52 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

When the time came to live and work abroad, and I wanted to stay in Europe, the only two places that made sense where France and Spain. I tried them both, but Spain won hands down. At that time I had been learning French in anticipation of the move there, and had to start all over again.

I would imagine that the Spanish people who have moved to the UK have done so purely for work reasons and not the quality of life, especially considering the lack of sun in the UK.

I didn’t just come for the sun, but it was and is a major factor. So is the coffee. And . . . .

The list is endless.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:56 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

What a crock that survey is! Has ANYONE ever been to Poland? More hours of sunshine that the UK!?
Old Sep 27th 2010, 11:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute

Immigrants aren't just trying to get to Spain...they are trying to enter Europe!

Those surveys are meaningless. Depends on peoples priorities. Whatever people say about their reasons for moving to Spain, culture, the people yadda yadda I believe that the sun and cheap living was the incentive.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:05 pm
Not Banned (yet)

Originally Posted by jackytoo
Immigrants aren't just trying to get to Spain...they are trying to enter Europe!
Yet the hundreds of thousands of Rumanians now in Spain (and not a few Portuguese) were already in Europe!!!!!

Incidentally we've just had a Rumanian guy put in our floors in our place in London. He was fantastic at a very reasonable price, I have to admit grudgingly....no wonder our guys can't compete.

Last edited by steviedeluxe; Sep 27th 2010 at 12:07 pm.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:27 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

The UK and Ireland are the worst places to live in Europe, while France and Spain are the best, according to the latest uSwitch Quality of Life Index

The UK came 9th out of the 10 European countries in the Index,

What a load of rubbish
Old Sep 27th 2010, 12:38 pm
On the road again.

Yet the hundreds of thousands of Rumanians now in Spain (and not a few Portuguese) were already in Europe!!!!!

Incidentally we've just had a Rumanian guy put in our floors in our place in London. He was fantastic at a very reasonable price, I have to admit grudgingly....no wonder our guys can't compete.
...and at this very moment I've got a very tasty,full of fun Polish maid on her hands and knees scrubbing my floors,..so if I disappear off site for a short while I'm sure you'll understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.