Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain was the right move for us.

Spain was the right move for us.

Old May 13th 2009, 11:33 am
Just Joined

brunette36 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Spain was the right move for us.

Hi there one and all!

we moved here 2 years ago (May 2007) with a job. Sadly, that job has ended due to the crisis but we're still here and hunting around for another. Since losing our jobs at the end of January 2009, we have managed to live here just on our pensions, despite having 2 properties in the UK (the rent and expenses for which don't quite cover the mortgage) and I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to survive in the UK under the same circumstances. We have been back to the UK several times to visit family and each time realise what a good move we made leaving. I never want to go back and it breaks my heart to see what a poor state my home country is in.

On a happier note, we have a job interview at the end of this week so, fingers crossed, we'll be back in the land of the employed soon!

Viva Espana!!
Old May 13th 2009, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Many Are Moving To Spain ??

good luck with the I/V
what do you do in Spain?
Old May 13th 2009, 12:44 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain was the right move for us.

Hi brunette36,

I am not in Spain but I wanted to welcome you to BE, I hope you enjoy the site.

And good luck with the interview.

Sue
Old May 13th 2009, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

smartmove is an unknown quantity at this point

Glad to read a positive story, good luck in your interview!
Old May 13th 2009, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Thank you all for your well wishes.

After 22 years in British Military Intelligence, my husband and I decided to completely change careers and came out here to be Resort Managers / Caretakers for a UK company's spanish property, a moorish castle undergoing redevelopment to become a 6* luxury holiday resort. Sadly, as I mentioned in my last post, they were hit with the credit crunch (and a huge dollop of stupidity in that they had no experience in the business and didn't seek advice!!!) and so had to put it on the market. That ended our jobs and accommodation as we lived on-site. Despite that, we did have 2 wonderful years there (hard work but great fun) and made a lot of friends.

We have sinced moved to temporary rented accommodation in Villanueva del Trabuco and have been busy job hunting since the end of March (we took a couple of months off to recharge our batteries and have a bit of a holiday). We're looking for any kind of job really but ideally would like to work together as we found we're actually quite good at it. We have a mountain of skills and qualifications but still, the job market isn't brilliant anywhere at the moment is it? There are a ton of jobs we could probably pick and choose from in the UK but we just don't want to move back there (we may not have a choice if we can't find anything here). We now consider Spain our home and love it here so if anyone out there wants to hire a hard-working, reliable and trustworthy couple with a multitude of skills and qualifications, PLEASE GET IN TOUCH! We'll consider almost anything (except sales/marketing) and can turn our hands to most things.

Hope to have good news soon and I'll post it on here when/if we get it.

Old May 13th 2009, 1:32 pm
Just Joined

grahamk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by brunette36
Hi there one and all!

we moved here 2 years ago (May 2007) with a job. Sadly, that job has ended due to the crisis but we're still here and hunting around for another. Since losing our jobs at the end of January 2009, we have managed to live here just on our pensions, despite having 2 properties in the UK (the rent and expenses for which don't quite cover the mortgage) and I'm sure we wouldn't have been able to survive in the UK under the same circumstances. We have been back to the UK several times to visit family and each time realise what a good move we made leaving. I never want to go back and it breaks my heart to see what a poor state my home country is in.

On a happier note, we have a job interview at the end of this week so, fingers crossed, we'll be back in the land of the employed soon!

Viva Espana!!
hello I am the Spain correspondent of The Times. I read your message and I wonder if you would mind talking to me about why you had to leave Spain? It seems from talking to lots of people, that Britons are leaving Spain now - because of the fall of the pound and the property sector crash. I am on +34 669 311 731 and I can call you straight back many thanks - Graham Keeley
Old May 13th 2009, 1:39 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamk
hello I am the Spain correspondent of The Times. I read your message and I wonder if you would mind talking to me about why you had to leave Spain? It seems from talking to lots of people, that Britons are leaving Spain now - because of the fall of the pound and the property sector crash. I am on +34 669 311 731 and I can call you straight back many thanks - Graham Keeley
Hi,

Welcome to BE, I think you have misread the OP's post, she is actually staying in Spain, not leaving.

Also you may find our Moving back to the UK forum has more people who are discussing why they have, or are moving back. Just a note though, we prefer that the media use our "Media Requests forum to ask for member particaption in things.

Many thanks

Sue
Old May 13th 2009, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by grahamk
Looks like reading isnt a key requirement for a times journalist
Old May 13th 2009, 1:47 pm
Just Joined

Sorry Grahamk, but the administrator is right, I'm not leaving Spain, I want to stay here. You shouldn't have much trouble finding people leaving though as there are a lot going back to the UK. Can't understand it personally as I firmly believe it is cheaper to live here than the UK. I think most are going back because (a) due to the exchange rate, they can't live as cheaply as they used to here (still believe there money will go further here than the UK though) and (b) jobs are a lot harder to find here for Brits who don't speak the language. That's just my personal opinion of course but we've spoken to a lot of people who agree.

Good luck with the article - I'd still be happy to speak to you if you want.

Mandy
Old May 13th 2009, 2:02 pm
Banned

me me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond reputeme me has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Ha ha ha

regards
JLFS
Old May 13th 2009, 4:24 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
I thought their minds were made up already without the need to read. ;-)
Old May 13th 2009, 4:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

bigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond reputebigglesworth has a reputation beyond repute

Depends whether Rupert told them what to think?