Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain to restrict migrant workers from Rumania

Spain to restrict migrant workers from Rumania

Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:02 am
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Spain to restrict migrant workers from Rumania

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...manian-workers

Spain says it needs to tighten access to its labour market because of its own high unemployment rate, now about 20 per cent of the active population.

Authorities in Madrid also fear that Romanians and other incomers are helping to lower average pay rates by accepting smaller wages than the legal minimum wage.

“There is no official confirmation of Spain’s planned restriction and such a decision takes time to be negotiated and approved by the EU," Ioana Santa, spokeperson for Romania's Labour Ministry, said. "What is very important is that no Romanians officially working in Spain are affected."

News that Spain may restrict its job market is especially worrying for Romanians, as the country is a favourite destination for Romanians looking for work abroad.

“Spain was always the proper destination for anyone searching for a job abroad and if they close the doors this will be bad for a lot of people”, Ion Manea, 52, a construction worker, said.

About 850,000 Romanians work legally in Spain. Many moved there after Romania joined the European Union in 2007, taking modestly paid jobs.
To be honest, I didn't think EU countries could do this, once they had allowed free travel from another EU country. Do you think Dave may do the same in the UK?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:15 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain to restrict migrant workers from Rumania

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
To be honest, I didn't think EU countries could do this, once they had allowed free travel from another EU country. Do you think Dave may do the same in the UK?
This is the last paragraph from your quoted article.

Under EU legislation, a member state may restrict its labour market for citizens of another state for up to seven years following the latter’s accession. But after five years, states must advance solid arguments for keeping such restrictions in place.

Romania joined in 2007. I guess the big question is can you do it retrospectively.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:26 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

What thEU says Spain must do and what Spain actually does are not necessarily the same thing.
There are ways of getting round regulations remember France and the video recorder fiasco. All lorries delivering recorders from the far east to France had to go via a small border post manned by by one customs man who checked every lorry and every item. Brilliant. Countries can be made to tow the line but through the EU courts it could take years. GB never really did get the hang of it all so dont expect call me dave to use any of these methods.

Graham
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 10:38 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of weeks ago there was a TV prog covering the problems being experienced by the Italian island of Lampedusa with boatloads of Libyans (?)
With a population of about 1000 they were expected to provide facilities, with little to no support from Rome, for over 800 people fleeing the troubles. Except they were all young men, very few women, even fewer children.

I remember a man in his early 20's saying he would be going into Europe and would work wherever he wanted to because it was his human right to do so.

All countries in Eu are being hit by influxes of people from "outside" at a time when there are already employment problems. The Italians didn't help becuse their refugees from Lampedusa were put onto a train and told to get off when it got to France. (Sarkozy had a go at Berlusconi about it). Cameron has already admitted that the 7 year rule is about to expire, but no one has come out and said they would\could do anything about it

I watch this space with interest and concern
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 11:35 am
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice

Do you think Dave may do the same in the UK?
UK, as some other countries, don't accept Romanians and Bulgarians without some kind of contract:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wo...ia/liveworkuk/

They explained that on the same article about Spain new restrictions. That's one of the reasons why there are so many Romanians here.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:07 pm
Forum Regular

jonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to beholdjonnyx is a splendid one to behold

Denmark steps up its border controls and the main reason for that is the uncontrolled influx from eastern Europe. You can read more about it here:
Denmark's new border controls

If they can I suppose Spain, UK and other European countries can, cant they?
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, there are 800,000 Romanians living in Spain. Legally, that is. Now, the authorities want to allow those with a firm job offer to be able to work, while the unemployed are to be denied the chance of finding a legal job.
Thank goodness for begging, prostitution and burglary, hey, none of which need any papers (sarcasm).
Discrimination is racism. I'm surprised at the PSOE (not sarcasm. Shock, maybe).
With the frontiers going up again and second-class Europeans now a fact of life, what was the point of the EU?
Money, trade, power.
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:40 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Well, there are 800,000 Romanians living in Spain. Legally, that is. Now, the authorities want to allow those with a firm job offer to be able to work, while the unemployed are to be denied the chance of finding a legal job.
Thank goodness for begging, prostitution and burglary, hey, none of which need any papers (sarcasm).
Discrimination is racism. I'm surprised at the PSOE (not sarcasm. Shock, maybe).
With the frontiers going up again and second-class Europeans now a fact of life, what was the point of the EU?
Money, trade, power.
every time I enter the Uk and stand in a queue for 30mins I am told "we are here to protect the country's borders"
but they manage to get in quicker than I do
Old Jul 22nd 2011, 12:57 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lenox
Money, trade, power.
I don't think there will be long enough before the next election (if it does take place in the Autumn, as many predict) for this measure to be enacted.

I suspect it's a cynical electoral ploy by PSOE to force PP to state their position. If I were Rajoy I'd turn the tables by saying "The answer to this problem is to create jobs for Spain, as we did under Aznar, not to punish the migrant workers". But I think he'll fall into the trap...
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:34 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.balkaninsight.com/en/arti...manian-workers

You're obviously a bit behind the times Steve.
If the UK has difficulty enforcing this new restriction, I would imagine Spain finding it virtually impossible.
I can imagine it going down well with the voters though, possibly the main intention
Old Jul 23rd 2011, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by siesta
UK, as some other countries, don't accept Romanians and Bulgarians without some kind of contract:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/wo...ia/liveworkuk/
That ends in 2013, so stand by for a flood then. I was just reading about the Poles in UK, despite the recession, they are still piling in, and have the same rights regards benefits as UK citizens.

Since 2004 Poles have been free to work in the UK with few restrictions.
The controversial decision was made despite other countries, such as Germany, imposing rigid controls for up to seven years.
And in April the time limit on EU rules restricting migrant workers’ access to benefits expired – giving Poles exactly the same rights as British nationals.