Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Is Spain really as bad as they say

Is Spain really as bad as they say

Old May 12th 2012, 12:49 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Spain really as bad as they say

Originally Posted by DENISE WALTERS
this is only what I have been told not my personal opinion I would not know much about the franco times
There are still some who strongly believe that,...mostly older guys who hang well to the right of centre.

There's got to be a fair bit of truth in it with regard to the crime figures but otherwise I'm not so sure.
Old May 12th 2012, 12:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

DENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud ofDENISE WALTERS has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JLFS
I can assure you that most do not recall the General Francos times as happy ones, the people in his home town do not have a good word to say about him, only some who are shocked to see some topless bathing on the local beach.
this made me laugh `It wasnt me much too old
Old May 12th 2012, 1:09 pm
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pixieve
Yes i get what you are saying. I suppose there is a big difference between those of retiring age who are just coming here to have a nice relaxing life, and those (like myself) who come here with young kids to build a life for themselves. There are too many eastern europeans in Ireland (where im from) who have school going kids and think that once their kids are speaking the language, they don't need to. It pisses me off that they have that attitude, so I presume the spanish have the same opinions. I know when I came here last year, I got an amount of dirty looks and negative comments from the spanish for the 1st month or 2 because I barely had a word. Now 10 months on my spanish is improving alot (though nowhere near fluent) and I find that the dirty looks have turned into smiling encouraging faces!
You have made a very pertinent point about trying to build a life in Spain.

The simple fact is that most Spanish people who left Spain years ago did it for a "better life".

They left to go to a wealthier country be it UK Germany, France, Belgium etc. or south america which they saw as a new frontier with more opportunities too.

They went to countries that had a higher wage level and standard of living, free health care etc.

Most Spanish people cannot grasp the concept that people bringing children to Spain is in their best interests, knowing that the employment rate here for youngsters is higher than the UK, and that things are so much harder in Spain than the UK for families.

They cannot grasp that families would move to a different counrty where they dont speak the language when it is not a necessity, like when the Spanish people emigrated because they had no choice, because they were almost starving.

They see that their own children or grandchildren are classed as a lost generation, and are the famous NI NIs, and cannot understand why anyone would wish to add to the pool of unemployed youth through choice, when there is more opportunity in their own country.

It is a simple as that in many cases, most Spanish people feel that most Brits are putting their kids future at risk, simply for a bit ot sun, because lets face it not many Brits relocate to the colder parts of Spain ie Bilboa, Madrid, and nothern cities where they will learn the language quicker and possibly have more of a future in the job market.
Old May 12th 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
There are still some who strongly believe that,...mostly older guys who hang well to the right of centre.

There's got to be a fair bit of truth in it with regard to the crime figures but otherwise I'm not so sure.
I can understand the men liking it, they had it pretty much all their own way, just surprised a woman would think that way. Unless she's una maruja!
Old May 12th 2012, 7:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

It is a simple as that in many cases, most Spanish people feel that most Brits are putting their kids future at risk, simply for a bit ot sun, because lets face it not many Brits relocate to the colder parts of Spain ie Bilboa, Madrid, and nothern cities where they will learn the language quicker and possibly have more of a future in the job market.
That's right, take away the sun, and there is little to attract a lot of the Brits, a lot have no interest in the language, the people, the culture, just the sun. The one's that do seem to head north, where the sun doesn't always shine. An ex teacher of mine now lives in the wilds of Galicia, he tells me he never sees any Brits there.
Old May 13th 2012, 3:35 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

You have made a very pertinent point about trying to build a life in Spain.

The simple fact is that most Spanish people who left Spain years ago did it for a "better life".

They left to go to a wealthier country be it UK Germany, France, Belgium etc. or south america which they saw as a new frontier with more opportunities too.

They went to countries that had a higher wage level and standard of living, free health care etc.

Most Spanish people cannot grasp the concept that people bringing children to Spain is in their best interests, knowing that the employment rate here for youngsters is higher than the UK, and that things are so much harder in Spain than the UK for families.

They cannot grasp that families would move to a different counrty where they dont speak the language when it is not a necessity, like when the Spanish people emigrated because they had no choice, because they were almost starving.

They see that their own children or grandchildren are classed as a lost generation, and are the famous NI NIs, and cannot understand why anyone would wish to add to the pool of unemployed youth through choice, when there is more opportunity in their own country.

Well I can assure you both myself and my daughter have a far better life here than we ever did back home. And more opportunities in my own country!? I'm Irish, and there are NO opportunities for me there!! I've gone from being on the dole in Ireland for 3yrs because there was no work anywhere, to having a great job here and making enough money to keep myself and my child happy! I'm not sure what spanish people you are referring to when you say "they", but all of my friends and neighbours can very much understand why I left Ireland to live here as they all say it's a great place for children to grow up!
Old May 13th 2012, 3:36 am
Banned

lokalokaloka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by amideislas
Spain is a good place to have money. Not a place to make money.

If you can live with that, you'll love it. Otherwise, you'll end up back in the UK.
Why do people say that?
Old May 13th 2012, 3:39 am
Banned

lokalokaloka is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fred James
If you are retired and have a decent pension then Spain is great.

UK pensions are increased in line with inflation which is usually higher than Spanish inflation.

I have loads of retired expat friends and they are all very happy. In fact the only person I know who has returned to the UK was in a casket!

The exchange rate has now improved by about 10% over the last few months so there is more money available to spend.

There is no way on earth I would return to the UK - even in a casket.

The majority of people returning to the UK are people who made the mistake of assuming they could make a living in a country where they don't speak the language and unemployment is the worst in Europe.

Of course there are exceptions to this - some people have made a success of working in Spain and there are some people who for very personal reasons who have made the move back to the UK - but they are few and far between.
That is so true, you can't even get a job in Burger King if you don't speak Spanish. You're actually not worthy of working there without speaking the language, I can't people so many people try to find jobs by only being monolingual.
Old May 13th 2012, 3:40 am
Forum Regular

pixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nicepixieve is just really nice

Well why would the Columbians be seen as worse than European foreigners, if speaking the language was more important than the money they bring, because they arrived in Spain already being able to speak Spanish?

But they usually come with very little money.....
According to my spanish neighbours, they dont like the columbians because they cause trouble and the europeans are generally far quieter and well behaved. Nothing to do with the language or money, it's their behaviour.
Old May 13th 2012, 4:16 am
Banned

JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute

According to my spanish neighbours, they dont like the columbians because they cause trouble and the europeans are generally far quieter and well behaved. Nothing to do with the language or money, it's their behaviour.
Well dont go gossiping about the Columbians too much as there are more of them here in Spain than British, so you could be talking to the wife daughter etc of one of them or even an actual Columbian....
Old May 13th 2012, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Well dont go gossiping about the Columbians too much as there are more of them here in Spain than British, so you could be talking to the wife daughter etc of one of them or even an actual Columbian....
I have no opinion of them, this is the opinion of the people in my neighbourhood. There are quite a few columbians in my daughters school and the families seem like lovely people!
Old May 13th 2012, 4:31 am
Banned

I have no opinion of them, this is the opinion of the people in my neighbourhood. There are quite a few columbians in my daughters school and the families seem like lovely people!
Have you ever thought that they probably slag the Brits,Irish and Eurpeans off to the Columbians..........

El oyente rules........
Old May 13th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

Have you ever thought that they probably slag the Brits,Irish and Eurpeans off to the Columbians..........

El oyente rules........
very possible!!
Old May 13th 2012, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bob_bob
Not the definition of a bad person either now is it. Now my health is on the mend I'll be in Gran Canaria a few months of the year but won't learn Spanish, I've no need, I can go shopping, go out to restaurants etc and English is spoken to a standard that lets me live my life day to day. I don't search out the company of brits, I'm happy with my own company, a good book and the radio. If my neighbours are non English speaking Spanish then our communication will be a nod and a smile, if they are German we can have a bit of a chat.

I like Spain, especially the Canary Islands, love the weather, the people seem happy enough but I've no desire or need to integrate. I've a loving family, a circle of close friends (who will visit) and am generally considered to be a good sort of chap...even though I don't 'hablar espaƱol'
Eight inmigrants die in a fire, five of them children, for not knowing German

http://www.abc.es/hemeroteca/histori...89959014.html#

There is not an obligation to learn a language. But like we say in my country, the time puts people in place

Last edited by Relampago; May 13th 2012 at 2:15 pm.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:53 pm

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lokalokaloka
That is so true, you can't even get a job in Burger King if you don't speak Spanish. You're actually not worthy of working there without speaking the language, I can't people so many people try to find jobs by only being monolingual.
haven't you heard of the British Empire old chap ??

give johnny foreigner instructions in English and just let him get on with it.
if he doesnt do what he is told then shout and wave your arms about and threaten him
if he still doesnt do as he is told then get out your horse whip (shipped anywhere in the world from Harrods don't you know) and lay about him with it.

that is what is wrong with the world nowadays, too many people still not speaking English, does that mean we will have to send in the gunboats again ?
Don't they understand that it is good for them to be able to speak to us in our mighty language ? Fancy expecting us to speak to them in their third world dago language

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.