Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Was it Spain or quitting the UK?

Was it Spain or quitting the UK?

Old May 28th 2008, 6:34 pm
Smarties

SmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really niceSmartiesUK is just really nice
Default Was it Spain or quitting the UK?

Just wondering how many people either moved already or are planning to move to Spain did so because they have always loved Spain or because they just wanted to quit the UK?

If it was because you wanted to quit the UK can you tell me has it worked, was it everything you hoped for?

Even now I am looking at Spain in spite of never holidaying there and am wondering if it is a convenience factor ie being so close to home as opposed to any real in depth study/understanding of the culture.

I do know I HAVE to escape this country and from my previous property hunts around the Hondon area Spain seems as good as anywhere. Really interested in hearing from those who plumped for Spain based on a hunch it would better than UK
Old May 28th 2008, 6:42 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Was it Spain or quitting the UK?

Hmmmmmm ... ahh well .....

I neither needed to quit the UK OR had a love affair with Spain. I only came here once before we decided, back in 1976, and that was to the Torremelinos area, nowhere near where we settled.

I have no problem with the UK, other than the taxation. Its cheaper to live here, and the climate is better. I'm not ashamed, but those are the reasons. I can also be back in the UK in a couple of hours to see family.

Now I'm here I enjoy the way of life, but its only different to the one I lead in the UK in that we spend more time outside and spend less money doing it.
Old May 28th 2008, 6:53 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

You know my feelings. But I do feel I need to keep saying.....RENT FIRST get the feeling of a place. As for Hondon - too far inland, try the coastal areas or as near as you can get. Believe me....it is sooooo different inland.
Old May 28th 2008, 7:36 pm
Account Closed

El Capitan is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy

I neither needed to quit the UK OR had a love affair with Spain.
Me too, I came to take up the job offer. It was the first time ever I had stepped on mainland Spain and next day into the job.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

No love affair here either. We came for a work transfer and it's nice while the kids are little and maybe again one day when we're older and are longing for the quiet life, but in between I see us back in the UK in a few years.

I would suggest anyone who's thinking of this, take a long term rental to get a feel for the place. Don't sell up and come on a hunch, in fact, I don't know anyone who's done that. It is great being so close to home and family. I don't fancy inland though, but then I've almost always lived by the sea, so it's what you get used to. What kind of life you're coming from influences greatly whether or not you'll like it. You don't realise that at the time, it's retrospective, as you naturally make comparasins.
Old May 28th 2008, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

Hey, Capitan, I've just noticed my nickname and your avatar are one and the same.
Old May 28th 2008, 10:03 pm
Banned

jurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of lightjurdyr is a glorious beacon of light

its a love for me , been coming to spain since i was age off 3 that was it the facking Weather just cought up with me , single here no girlfreinds are kids so made the jump still work for the company back inthe UK but via the net and most call outs are in the EU
so love it here and just want to live it up here
jurdy
Old May 29th 2008, 1:15 pm
Ex Expat

scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute

Neither really.

My husband decided to take early retirement as his health was getting worse. We had vaguely thought we might get a place in the sun somewhere as he is solar powered. While he was off sick, but before he had actually retired, a colleague of his came to live in Spain and invited us to visit. My husband's Dr decided this would be beneficial to his health (remember he was off sick), so we came along to vist his colleague in June 2002 for a week. We had never visited any part of Spain before.

We were gobsmacked by the area and decided there and then that this was the place for us.

We returned in 2003 and bought a house in the next village to his colleague, used it as a holiday home for a year and moved here permanently in 2004.

We have kept our house in the UK.

So, some 'pull' and some 'push' factors for us!

Last edited by scampicat; May 29th 2008 at 2:26 pm.
Old May 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
Forum Regular

Nosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really nice

Both really...... sorry but you have got me started......can't stand the way British society is going, I feel oppressed by the nanny state telling me what to drink, eat etc, and I hate being filmed by CCTV and the threat of fines for anything and everything, going overdrawn without permission, filling my bin too high, driving a little over the speed limit, being held without trial (there are terrorists behind every tree!), identity cards, the endless questions when banking, paying bills, phoning up utility companies etc. and most of all, being saddled with a huge mortgage for a 2 bed terrace which means that my husband and myself have to work full time in high stress jobs just to break even with no chance of parole with good behaviour until its paid off in 20 years. We are both too knackered to enjoy our brief time off.
Perhaps its my age?

Fell in love with Galicia, stunning unspoilt countryside, fabulous patient locals who are only too willing to take time to help as I try out my awful Spanish (usually with an appropriate mime). Wonderful historic architecture, gorgeous fresh food, cheap good wine, slower pace of life still keeping traditions alive, and a huge house, in livable condition (needs updating), 4 barns, 4 acres of land for less than £70,000 including taxes!
We also have the chance of starting our own business together (bed and breakfast/small holding) and spending quality time together (ok the working hours will be hard and long but it will be OURS)
No contest!!!!!!!!
Old May 29th 2008, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

bertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nicebertibassett is just really nice

Originally Posted by Nosherlot
Both really...... sorry but you have got me started......can't stand the way British society is going, I feel oppressed by the nanny state telling me what to drink, eat etc, and I hate being filmed by CCTV and the threat of fines for anything and everything, going overdrawn without permission, filling my bin too high, driving a little over the speed limit, being held without trial (there are terrorists behind every tree!), identity cards, the endless questions when banking, paying bills, phoning up utility companies etc. and most of all, being saddled with a huge mortgage for a 2 bed terrace which means that my husband and myself have to work full time in high stress jobs just to break even with no chance of parole with good behaviour until its paid off in 20 years. We are both too knackered to enjoy our brief time off.
Perhaps its my age?

Fell in love with Galicia, stunning unspoilt countryside, fabulous patient locals who are only too willing to take time to help as I try out my awful Spanish (usually with an appropriate mime). Wonderful historic architecture, gorgeous fresh food, cheap good wine, slower pace of life still keeping traditions alive, and a huge house, in livable condition (needs updating), 4 barns, 4 acres of land for less than £70,000 including taxes!
We also have the chance of starting our own business together (bed and breakfast/small holding) and spending quality time together (ok the working hours will be hard and long but it will be OURS)
No contest!!!!!!!!
Hope everything works out for you.
All the very best, ( jealous )

Albert.
Old May 29th 2008, 5:09 pm
Popping in for a chat

Lionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond reputeLionda has a reputation beyond repute

Leave a little something behind in the UK.......just incase
Old May 29th 2008, 5:22 pm
Forum Regular

Lospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond reputeLospacoshombre has a reputation beyond repute

Although i do not live in Spain (yet it is just a matter of Time) I felt i must answer this read.

I subscribe to both sides of this discussion, firstly my love affair with Spain started ten years ago when i first visited. I realised within days that my life had followed the wrong direction and that I needed to chill out and enjoy my life, like the Spanish seem to do. i enjoyed the family values, the sense of community and simply the fact that everyone seemed to be smiling a lot, the weather always chills me out too. The fiestas and siesta all had their effect also as their enthusiasm is intoxicating.

I was so inspired I took GCSE Spanish and then As level Spanish, so i could speak more with the Spanish on my regular visits.

I knew Spain was where I wanted to be and in 2002 I bought a place in Torrevieja, but i did not like it as much as my beloved Los Boliches so i sold and bought a place there, ready for my move.

At the same time this government kept increasing its influence upon us, taxing, creating bureaucracy, and regulating the various businesses i was involved in out of business. I have become soo disillussioned with the YUK.The only silver lining was one of the businesses I was involved in was property (pre97), and with the govt destroying private pensions (which were once the envy of Europe) everyone bought into property and made me rich enough to move to Spain, so although they didnt mean to they bought me my ticket outa there. I just feel sorry for anyone who has had to buy a house at these ridiculous prices over the last 5 years.

So now I am on the verge of moving from Yuk to Spain, and although I know Spain has changed in a similar fashion to Uk as Euro homogenisation takes hold, it is still better than the YUK.

Viva espana

lph
Old May 29th 2008, 5:30 pm
Popping in for a chat

Originally Posted by Lospacoshombre
Although i do not live in Spain (yet it is just a matter of Time) I felt i must answer this read.

I subscribe to both sides of this discussion, firstly my love affair with Spain started ten years ago when i first visited. I realised within days that my life had followed the wrong direction and that I needed to chill out and enjoy my life, like the Spanish seem to do. i enjoyed the family values, the sense of community and simply the fact that everyone seemed to be smiling a lot, the weather always chills me out too. The fiestas and siesta all had their effect also as their enthusiasm is intoxicating.

I was so inspired I took GCSE Spanish and then As level Spanish, so i could speak more with the Spanish on my regular visits.

I knew Spain was where I wanted to be and in 2002 I bought a place in Torrevieja, but i did not like it as much as my beloved Los Boliches so i sold and bought a place there, ready for my move.

At the same time this government kept increasing its influence upon us, taxing, creating bureaucracy, and regulating the various businesses i was involved in out of business. I have become soo disillussioned with the YUK.The only silver lining was one of the businesses I was involved in was property (pre97), and with the govt destroying private pensions (which were once the envy of Europe) everyone bought into property and made me rich enough to move to Spain, so although they didnt mean to they bought me my ticket outa there. I just feel sorry for anyone who has had to buy a house at these ridiculous prices over the last 5 years.

So now I am on the verge of moving from Yuk to Spain, and although I know Spain has changed in a similar fashion to Uk as Euro homogenisation takes hold, it is still better than the YUK.

Viva espana

lph
Hope it all works out for you Personally, I can't wait to get back to the 21st century
Old May 29th 2008, 6:56 pm
zel

zel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lionda
Hope it all works out for you Personally, I can't wait to get back to the 21st century
The 21st century will start the moment you touch down and especially at Dover when you can witness customs/police pulling over all the untaxed/mot cars that they have caught on the first CCTV camera when the cars come off the boats

It's rather fun to watch until you take note that being watched 24/7 and having very little anonymity is rather annoying even if you arn't doing anything wrong!

Oh yeah! don't forget the nasty average speed cameras that are currently along the main route in and out of dover, not the kind you can just slow down until passed!

Above all, good luck to you apon your return, but do not expect the country to be the same as when you left as it changes monthly, not alone quarterly or yearly!

I got a £80 fine last month for leaving the recycling on the pavement the morning the recycling people were due. We all got a letter to tell us to stop it, but when we did the people would just walk past and not collect it!
Old May 29th 2008, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

Nosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really niceNosherlot is just really nice

Good Karma to you Zel, exactly what I was talking about.
Each to their own I guess (Spain or UK), I know its a cheesy saying but better to die trying than never to have tried at all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.