Spain/Portugal

Old Jul 12th 2010, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

siesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nicesiesta is just really nice
Default Re: Spain/Portugal

What cricketman said :P

In Spanish we distinguish between pueblo, villa and ciudad. Approx. up to 20,000 is a villa. Which is not the villa as in house (this is funny because I never use that word and I only knew it existed for the English).
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Spain/Portugal

Originally Posted by siesta
I think it's impossible to compare towns/cities and populations like that because the urban structure is completely different. Towns in the UK are usually extensive because people live in houses. There are places in the UK that if you see the population can be up to 200,000 but if you go there as a Spaniard you'll see it's a small village with only 3-4 shopping streets, a couple of tall buildings and the rest it's a huge area of "streets" with small houses. You don't have that here and many small towns look much bigger than that because they're urban. Comparing Madrid and Leeds killed me.
That is my point how do you measure an urban center? The traditional ranking system in UK is by population the biggest single entity in UK being the City of Birmingham at 1million plus with 2 very large shopping centers in the middle but also lots of high street type centers in the suburbs and incedently 10 million trees but no space between it and Walsall, Wolverhampton, Dudley and not much to Coventry all about 500-700,000. Where as Leeds not only has a population of 750,000 but also has the largest land area of any English city. Spain is very different so much land that cities do not stand cheek by jowel and every urban area no matter how small the population is called a city if it bigger than say 10,000 people.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricketman
Nonsense you've got your numbers all in a muddle

Seville is way bigger than MK. Seville has 750,000 in the city and 1.5 million in the greater urban area, vs 192,000 in MK (check Wikipedia if you like)

And Madrid and Barcelona are way bigger than Leeds. Leeds has 770,000, so as big as inner Seville. Madrid has 3.2 million and BCN 1.6 million, although there are 5 million people who live in the greater metropolitan area of BCN.

I've been to all the places you mention and it should be clear that Barcelona is a lot lot bigger than Leeds and that Seville is a lot bigger than MK!!

Oh and Ayamonte isnt really a city, by any stretch of the imagination
I Think you should check the Municipal Year Book (2009) for population sizes MK is the fastest groing town in Europe and passed 192,000 many years ago. I am of course refering to the Unitary Authority of Milton Keynes not the new city of Milton Keynes which is not a city and is not a municipal entity but might have a population of 200,000
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
I Think you should check the Municipal Year Book (2009) for population sizes MK is the fastest groing town in Europe and passed 192,000 many years ago. I am of course refering to the Unitary Authority of Milton Keynes not the new city of Milton Keynes which is not a city and is not a municipal entity but might have a population of 200,000
Even if there were 400,000 people in MK it still wouldnt come close to the size of Seville.

And anyway, as Siesta said many British towns and cities are basically small villages with huge suburbs. I used to live in Sheffield which has over half a million residents but the city centre is tiny, probably the equivalent size of a Spanish "villa". The rest was sprawling streets with little ammenities.

Btw siesta, English people misuse so many Spanish words especially concerning property. Villa and finca are misused all the time. I think they actually get the word "villa" from Italian where it actually does mean a "mansion".
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Even if there were 400,000 people in MK it still wouldnt come close to the size of Seville.

And anyway, as Siesta said many British towns and cities are basically small villages with huge suburbs. I used to live in Sheffield which has over half a million residents but the city centre is tiny, probably the equivalent size of a Spanish "villa". The rest was sprawling streets with little ammenities.

Btw siesta, English people misuse so many Spanish words especially concerning property. Villa and finca are misused all the time. I think they actually get the word "villa" from Italian where it actually does mean a "mansion".
Have you not heard of Medow Hall?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by John & Kath
Have you not heard of Medow Hall?
What does Meadowhall have to do with anything. It's just a big shopping centre next to the motorway. Is that what you think a city is!?
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

What does Meadowhall have to do with anything. It's just a big shopping centre next to the motorway. Is that what you think a city is!?
You obviously know much more than me but I always thought Spanish towns were overshopped judging by all the vacant commercial units that stand empty for years and years bricked up with hit and miss vents at the top and lots of fly posting and graffiti.

</IMG>
Old Jul 12th 2010, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

BorderGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all for your taking the time time to answer my original thread.

I now know the population of Milton Keynes and Seville (or not maybe).

Without starting another difference of opinion can anyone tell me about Ayemonte? I have looked at the Ayamonte thread above and the visit Ayamonte web site.

How long does it take to get into Portugal from there? (I don't know the area at all.)
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It depends how you want to do it. The quaint little ferry takes 15 mins for you and your car. By road over the bridge at legal speeds it takes 5 mins. As my friend Jon says it is great to live in 2 countries.

Our nearest restaurant is 5 mins from home in Portugal and at €7.50 for a 3 course menu del dia plus bread and olives and a drink you can't beat it. If I want to push the boat out 5 mins downtown in Ayamonte it is €8.50 for the same with a touch of haute cuisine.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 7:51 pm
Just Joined

BorderGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you. That sounds really good.

I am increasingly liking the sound of being so close to the border, best of both worlds.

Can you tell me anything else about the area or any other web links that I might be able to look at? What are property prices like? What about rental properties?

Again, too many questions, not enough answers.

Thank you for your time.
Old Jul 12th 2010, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BorderGirl
Thank you. That sounds really good.

I am increasingly liking the sound of being so close to the border, best of both worlds.

Can you tell me anything else about the area or any other web links that I might be able to look at? What are property prices like? What about rental properties?

Again, too many questions, not enough answers.

Thank you for your time.
Why not come over and see for yourself. You could stay here in La Villa Aymonte

http://casa51.homestead.com/index.html

for a very reasonble price for a long weekend. Fly from John Lennon Liverpool with Easyjet or Elmdon Birmingam with Ryanair. If you come in October it is just the nicest time with temps in the high 20's and the sea at Monte Gordo as warm as at anytime in the year. Great for a cooling dip after a long beach walk to Pria Verde which must be one of the worlds nicest beaches of it's type.

If you book now our target price for the flight would be £54pp return with carry on bags. A small hire car at that time from Faro can be had for £10 a day and you could see an awful lot in 4-5 days.

In Spain property prices are what you want to pay bargin hard there are 3 bed town houses for €120,000 on a golf course, apartments are less and if you find a distress sale then you set the price. In Portugal prices up to now have held up better but again bargin hard. Rentals for 11 months can be found at reasonable rates

Have a look at this website for lots of genuine info on the area, activities and prices.

http://www.infoayamonte.com/

NB I have no connection to any of the above sites just they are the best I have found on my area.

Last edited by EsuriJohn; Jul 12th 2010 at 8:53 pm.