Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain: Paradise lost

Spain: Paradise lost

Old Nov 30th 2009, 9:57 am
Banned

jackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond reputejackytoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain: Paradise lost

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Jackytoo I can assure most would rather have their coasts back without jobs than having million+ northern Europeans taking up space on the coastline

How old are you, you seem very naive! How can you be sure of what the Spanish in andalucia want Have you ever visited the place. I am sure some of the young people will think that but not the people who remember the poverty and hunger.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackytoo
How old are you, you seem very naive! How can you be sure of what the Spanish in andalucia want Have you ever visited the place. I am sure some of the young people will think that but not the people who remember the poverty and hunger.
I have relatives from Granada. Distant ones but still. Plus it's the same with most people, would most English like to see the Polish gone from England? According to past posts I've read and things of that nature, my guess would be that the English wouldn't mind it if most of the non-English speaking Poles left.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:20 am
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry if this is straying off topic a tad but.......I avoid speaking English with friends or on the phone when I'm on the metro as I often get some very strange looks from people.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:48 am
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Jackytoo I can assure most would rather have their coasts back without jobs than having million+ northern Europeans taking up space on the coastline
If you've ever taken the trouble to travel right around the Spanish coast you would know that the vast majority of resorts, developments and holiday homes are Spanish,most of them much less pretty than those of the North Europeans.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 6:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
There was a recent incident, a Guardia Civil patrol boat entered UK waters unannounced around Gib, UK military had to remind them they were in restricted UK military zone and told to leave, they refused which has resulted in a Spanish minister being reminded the position Spain is in.

The Spanish still refuse to recognize UK zone around Gib and insist it is international waters.

No we took Gibraltar and the surrounding waters, get over it or start a war, numpties.
Well thats funny... on the Spanish news and on the BBC they reported the diplomatic incident this week over Gibralter was because a Gibralter gunboat had been seen shooting at a Spanish flag that was painted on a buoy

What papers do you read?
Old Nov 30th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I gotta say, the Spanish need to quit their bellyaching. They SIGNED away Gibraltar, in perpetuity. Seriously acting like it got stolen from them....
Old Nov 30th 2009, 8:25 pm
bil
Banned

bil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond reputebil has a reputation beyond repute

Going to Gib always reminds me of why I don't like it in the UK.

As for all the rest, everything always changes, and only a fool can't grasp that. Some changes are for the worse, or are perceived as such, and many are for the better. Spain would hardly have been better off remaining as it was 50 years ago.

Anywhere you go, you change that place.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if Gib ever did become part of Spain... there would naturally be a new official language here to go along with galego, catalan, euzkera and whatever else.
Old Nov 30th 2009, 11:14 pm

manamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of lightmanamama is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dick Dasterdly
If you've ever taken the trouble to travel right around the Spanish coast you would know that the vast majority of resorts, developments and holiday homes are Spanish,most of them much less pretty than those of the North Europeans.

Very true. Even along the North coast in Asturias here, it's the Spanish, mainly from Madrid who have second/holiday homes along the beach.

Big beautiful houses near the beach. They are not cheap either !! And any Brits buying here are pretty much zero. The well off Spanish are doing just what well off Brits can do too.

Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Econ
Personally I don't think there is a lot of hate spewed out here,
Nor me, but that's not what I said, but feel free to make it up. My post was in reply to jackytoo's comment about reading Spanish forums and the way they talk about Brits there. I went on to comment about the stuff churned out there and the fact that Gib is a regular contentious point.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

I have relatives from Granada. Distant ones but still. Plus it's the same with most people, would most English like to see the Polish gone from England? According to past posts I've read and things of that nature, my guess would be that the English wouldn't mind it if most of the non-English speaking Poles left.
You seem strong on second hand info, what you've been told or read, any personal experience of these things you are claiming? Any personal knowledge of UK or Andalucia? It's a nonsense to suggest Spain would like to go back to the old days, especially in Andalucia, most were peasant farmers etc. Make no mistake, many andaluces have become very rich on extranjeros, not just Brits but incomers from all over Europe.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by bil
Going to Gib always reminds me of why I don't like it in the UK.
If where you live in UK is anything like Gib, I'd move!
I like Vejer though (in your sig), but I fear the incoming Brits will spoil that as well and make it another Mijas.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:18 am
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think its anything to do with the nationality of the immigrants in the UK. The general opinion in the UK is more to do with immigrants being allowed to go to the UK and claim benefits and free health cover, when the same isnt allowed vice versa!

As for the polish, I think they're great! They work their butts off. Nearly every carpark in the UK now has a cheap, but excellent car cleaning service manned generally by polish chaps who work all winds and weathers for very little! I often wonder why the unemployed in the UK didnt think up that one??!

Jo xxx
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:35 am
Banned

chulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud ofchulo has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by cricketman
Well thats funny... on the Spanish news and on the BBC they reported the diplomatic incident this week over Gibralter was because a Gibralter gunboat had been seen shooting at a Spanish flag that was painted on a buoy

What papers do you read?

Different incident, you need to google some more.

Change My mind.

Here is a cut and paste.

Moratinos focused in particular on an article published last week by El Mundo – and subsequently picked up by numerous national and regional media outlets – that cited a British complaint to Spain dated September 18.

In the diplomatic note verbale, the British embassy referred to two Guardia Civil incursions into Gibraltar waters and asked the Spanish government to ensure those waters were respected. In response to the British complaint, Spain had restated its position on the waters.

“There is nothing new here,” Moratinos said, adding that he did not regard the controversy as an important issue. The issue of Gibraltar’s waters has flared up over the past week, largely as a result of three articles published by the right-leaning newspaper El Mundo.

Last edited by chulo; Dec 1st 2009 at 12:38 am.
Old Dec 1st 2009, 12:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chulo
Different incident, you need to google some more.

Change My mind.

Here is a cut and paste.

Moratinos focused in particular on an article published last week by El Mundo – and subsequently picked up by numerous national and regional media outlets – that cited a British complaint to Spain dated September 18.

In the diplomatic note verbale, the British embassy referred to two Guardia Civil incursions into Gibraltar waters and asked the Spanish government to ensure those waters were respected. In response to the British complaint, Spain had restated its position on the waters.

“There is nothing new here,” Moratinos said, adding that he did not regard the controversy as an important issue. The issue of Gibraltar’s waters has flared up over the past week, largely as a result of three articles published by the right-leaning newspaper El Mundo.
Fair enough, though dont take what El Mundo say seriously

It would be like paying attention to the Daily Mail

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.