Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is not Uganda!

Wikiposts

Spain is not Uganda!

Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is not Uganda!

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
So, Rajoy decided that denying a problem in Spain was not enough to make him look a twat, he would also shove his foot in his mouth....

Spain vs Uganda

You are right Rajoy, Spain isn't Uganda, Uganda actually has growth and only 4.2% of its eligible population is unemployed!
Now compare something as simple as a prison or the transport system of Spain with something similar in Uganda ... Or just distribution of wealth, to name a few things

You will notice some differences
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Relampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond reputeRelampago has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Conington
I feel like moving there as soon as possible, bye bye Spain!
Old Jun 17th 2012, 9:20 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Relampago
Now compare something as simple as a prison or the transport system of Spain with something similar in Uganda ... Or just distribution of wealth, to name a few things

I didn't compare.
Old Jun 17th 2012, 6:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond reputeLenox has a reputation beyond repute

Well, the point is - we should be comparing Spain to other EU countries rather than to Uganda. There are some differences here, just ask Carlos Divar, president of the Supreme Court (until Thursday, perhaps...).
Old Jun 17th 2012, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute

A lot of the population get a little. Uganda
A little of the population get a lot. Spain

Last edited by Fredbargate; Jun 17th 2012 at 7:22 pm. Reason: Rephrased
Old Jun 18th 2012, 4:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Spoke to someone in the know the other day and we got into a bit of a discussion about the whole sorry mess, he was in no doubt that the Euro would endure (He was no fan of it I might add) but he was saying that talk in the city is not of QE1 or QE3, its of QE13!!!!!!!!! Holy crap! We will be buying wheelbarrows just to buy bread!
Re your comments about buying the wheelbarrow due to inflation and your comments re QE (which I think you are right and it won't just be the UK I think the ECB will be firing up as well). It got me thinking of our life savings and what they may be worth in a few years time with inflation (luckily my pensions index linked) and I was wondering how the savings rates were back in the last 2 periods of heavy and created devaluation of £ and high inflation and found this interesting table, given current rates and how inflation could soar with QE. http://swanlowpark.co.uk/bank0604.jsp
Old Jun 18th 2012, 9:44 am

Domino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond reputeDomino has a reputation beyond repute

if you need a wheelbarrow of money to buy a loaf of bread
how many wheelbarrows of money will it take to buy a wheelbarrow ? ?

I have 2 that i can lease out at a very v e r y good rate
Old Jun 18th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lenox
Well, the point is - we should be comparing Spain to other EU countries rather than to Uganda. There are some differences here, just ask Carlos Divar, president of the Supreme Court (until Thursday, perhaps...).
Maybe in other countries who think are more democratic than Spain this would not be known, while another in Spain, indicating that our anti-corruption system works, and we have no complexes. It's like when talk about domestic violence in Spain, when in the Nordic countries and North America is where statistically there is more domestic violence

Oh yeah, compare to Spain with other European countries, for example beginning with Switzerland, paradise and nest of all the fortunes of much of the filth of the world (dictators, criminals, etc); Sweden, very clean with its nature and almost finished with a Spanish natural park because of a toxic spill;UK, when it hid to the continent a disease, the " mad cow disease "; Germany skipping the Stability Pact several times and forcing Spain to reduce its deficit in one year (when Germany had all the years I wanted to do)...etc, etc, etc

Lessons to another part

Last edited by Relampago; Jun 18th 2012 at 12:47 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

while another in Spain, indicating that our anti-corruption system works,
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

UK, when it hid to the continent a disease, the " mad cow disease ";
UK was quite open about it, it would have been hard to hide it. I think you'll find it was the likes of Spain and France that did the hiding. By the way, see you had another case this month, tucked away in the news.
http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/nacio...90313_305.html
Old Jun 18th 2012, 7:58 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agoreira
UK was quite open about it, it would have been hard to hide it. I think you'll find it was the likes of Spain and France that did the hiding. By the way, see you had another case this month, tucked away in the news.
http://www.heraldo.es/noticias/nacio...90313_305.html
Why? Why poke the bear? You know what he will do, we will get a page and a half of comparisons now!
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Why? Why poke the bear? You know what he will do, we will get a page and a half of comparisons now!
Guilty as charged, m'lud. I normally ignore his childish rants, but I thought it was incredible (even by his standards) the claim we hid mad cow, you couldn't turn on the tv without seeing funeral pyres everywhere., farmers distraught.
Old Jun 18th 2012, 8:58 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by agoreira
Guilty as charged, m'lud. I normally ignore his childish rants, but I thought it was incredible (even by his standards) the claim we hid mad cow, you couldn't turn on the tv without seeing funeral pyres everywhere., farmers distraught.
(Shhh, I think you mean foot and mouth) Although your point still stands, we were more than open about BSE.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 7:36 pm
Not Banned (yet)

steviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond reputesteviedeluxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bobd22
Re your comments about buying the wheelbarrow due to inflation and your comments re QE (which I think you are right and it won't just be the UK I think the ECB will be firing up as well). It got me thinking of our life savings and what they may be worth in a few years time with inflation (luckily my pensions index linked) and I was wondering how the savings rates were back in the last 2 periods of heavy and created devaluation of £ and high inflation and found this interesting table, given current rates and how inflation could soar with QE. http://swanlowpark.co.uk/bank0604.jsp
Well it seems the stories were true. The UK is to fire up yet more QE, but the big news is from the EU. Maybe Rajoy did know the pressure was to ease and consequently we'll see those bond figures deflate...of course the money will need to be paid back, but it will be at low interest. Meanwhile the cost to the rest of us will increase in terms of higher inflation and higher taxes (at the same time as cuts in services).

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...countries-debt

Angela Merkel is poised to allow the eurozone's €750bn (£605bn) bailout fund to buy up the bonds of crisis-hit governments in a desperate effort to drive down borrowing costs for Spain and Italy and prevent the single currency from imploding.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:00 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steviedeluxe
Maybe Rajoy did know the pressure was to ease and consequently we'll see those bond figures deflate...of course the money will need to be paid back, but it will be at low interest.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...countries-debt
As always Stevie your optimism is to be admired.
By the way I wonder what you would consider to be a low interest rate ?
The present rate or anything close to it is clearly non-sustainable, so do you envisage a dramatic drop of several percent if Angie is as good as her word ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.