Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Spain is the best country in Europe...

Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:17 pm
  #16  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by JLFS View Post
Not sure whether you agree or not, if not fill me in on what industry they thrive in these days, I'd love to know
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:22 pm
  #17  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Not sure whether you agree or not, if not fill me in on what industry they thrive in these days, I'd love to know
What an ignorant statement!

Having worked for 5 years in London I can tell you that the UK benefits from being the base for the English speaking world outside of the USA.

London is one of the biggest financial and banking centres in the world. It is also the world leader in business consulting, advertising, marketing and media. So many of the global and pan-European marketing campaigns are drawn up in London. Pharmaceuticals, IT and engineering are less important but still have large industries in the UK.

Many American companies have their second head office in London which is then responsible for "all business except for America". British business people are well trusted to do business with the rest of the world.
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:24 pm
  #18  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
What an ignorant statement!

Having worked for 5 years in London I can tell you that the UK benefits from being the base for the English speaking world outside of the USA.

London is one of the biggest financial and banking centres in the world. It is also the world leader in business consulting, advertising, marketing and media. So many of the global and pan-European marketing campaigns are drawn up in London. Pharmaceuticals, IT and engineering are less important but still have large industries in the UK.

Many American companies have their second head office in London which is then responsible for "all business except for America". British business people are well trusted to do business with the rest of the world.
Hmmm Interesting and how does this make your life better there?
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:26 pm
  #19  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Not sure whether you agree or not, if not fill me in on what industry they thrive in these days, I'd love to know
I disagree with what you say, the fashion industry is, I think it is a lot more prominant and thriving more than the Hungarian fashion industry for a start.

Cant be bothered telling you anymore as you really do down the UK at every chance you get.

And although the UK is on a bit of a downer right now, a lot of other countries still have a long way to go to equal it, even in its, as you think, its terrible state.

Last edited by JLFS; Mar 23rd 2011 at 4:28 pm.
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:28 pm
  #20  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Hmmm Interesting and how does this make your life better there?
Is that a serious question?
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:28 pm
  #21  
On the road again.
 
Dick Dasterdly's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: On Top of the World
Posts: 17,507
Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Almost every foreigner I meet can't wait to see London after they have seen it on TV, I wonder how many return?

I drove right across Europe touring, I got back to the UK and sat in traffic for hours on end, so decided to pop into London, I found it very dirty and depressing compared to Paris and Amsterdam, and there was a toll charge.

It took me over 14 hours to do a 6 hour journey, you can't even believe your Tomtom in some parts of the Uk.
Well it seems that many of them return otherwise the numbers would have flopped long ago.
There are plenty of countries with more toll charges than the UK.
The London charge is probably justified.
I agree the traffic is a bit much but there are loads of places where it's still quite reasonable.
As for the Tomtom,can you believe it anywhere ?
I've found it to be poor in Spain,but surely thats the fault of the company.
Dick Dasterdly is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:32 pm
  #22  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Hmmm Interesting and how does this make your life better there?
Are you for real?

It means there are lots of great jobs in London, paying very good salaries. And tax revenue is high so this pays for good public services and council workers on 200k per year

Whether people live better in the UK is open to debate, but saying they are not good at anything is just stupid.
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:44 pm
  #23  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by JLFS View Post
I disagree with what you say, the fashion industry is, I think it is a lot more prominant and thriving more than the Hungarian fashion industry for a start.

Cant be bothered telling you anymore as you really do down the UK at every chance you get.

And although the UK is on a bit of a downer right now, a lot of other countries still have a long way to go to equal it, even it its, as you think, its terrible state.
Fair comment.

I only down the UK as there is nothing positive I can think of to say about the place, other than the benefit system, and that is being abused. not because I hate the place,

I was born and bred in the UK and I certainly can see how it has been destroyed or sold off. All the industry has gone, christ, even the post office doesn't work as good as it used to, years ago, Why is it you can't see all this?

It's not because of the bad times we have now, it has been going down hill for the last 15 years or so, you also have to pay more money for less services, why is it you can not see it? It's everything from trying to get a dentist to sitting in the hospital waiting list, even emptying your rubbish bins maybe you haven't seen how some of the other countries that you may think of as being third world operate, It has been an eye opener for me to see how efficient some are compared.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:48 pm
  #24  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 7,749
cricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond reputecricketman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Fair comment.

I only down the UK as there is nothing positive I can think of to say about the place, other than the benefit system, and that is being abused. not because I hate the place,

I was born and bred in the UK and I certainly can see how it has been destroyed or sold off. All the industry has gone, christ, even the post office doesn't work as good as it used to, years ago, Why is it you can't see all this?

It's not because of the bad times we have now, it has been going down hill for the last 15 years or so, you also have to pay more money for less services, why is it you can not see it? It's everything from trying to get a dentist to sitting in the hospital waiting list, even emptying your rubbish bins maybe you haven't seen how some of the other countries that you may think of as being third world operate, It has been an eye opener for me to see how efficient some are compared.
Well that is because Britian like the other Western countries in the world has been living beyond its means for so long, so now they are having to cut services.

You are correct in that a lot of Brits think Britain is one of the best in the world in almost everything and think that countries like Spain or Hungary are "uncivilised" or "third world" in comparison.

These people are just ignorant and stupid, like the Americans who think the USA is best at everything. The USA is good at making money but is a failure at so many other things, just like most other countries who a great at a few things and average or poor at the rest.
cricketman is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:51 pm
  #25  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
Fair comment.

I only down the UK as there is nothing positive I can think of to say about the place, other than the benefit system, and that is being abused. not because I hate the place,

I was born and bred in the UK and I certainly can see how it has been destroyed or sold off. All the industry has gone, christ, even the post office doesn't work as good as it used to, years ago, Why is it you can't see all this?

It's not because of the bad times we have now, it has been going down hill for the last 15 years or so, you also have to pay more money for less services, why is it you can not see it? It's everything from trying to get a dentist to sitting in the hospital waiting list, even emptying your rubbish bins maybe you haven't seen how some of the other countries that you may think of as being third world operate, It has been an eye opener for me to see how efficient some are compared.
Granted that some services are not as they once were or how they should be, but for someone who does not hate the place, you are doing a very good impression.

Also, to say that you cannot say anything positive about the UK is one of your most moronic statements.
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:53 pm
  #26  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
Well that is because Britian like the other Western countries in the world has been living beyond its means for so long, so now they are having to cut services.

You are correct in that a lot of Brits think Britain is one of the best in the world in almost everything and think that countries like Spain or Hungary are "uncivilised" or "third world" in comparison.

These people are just ignorant and stupid, like the Americans who think the USA is best at everything. The USA is good at making money but is a failure at so many other things, just like most other countries who a great at a few things and average or poor at the rest.
And saying you think that the UK has nothing positive is not stupid or ignorant?
JLFS is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:57 pm
  #27  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
Are you for real?

It means there are lots of great jobs in London, paying very good salaries. And tax revenue is high so this pays for good public services and council workers on 200k per year

Whether people live better in the UK is open to debate, but saying they are not good at anything is just stupid.

Oh you are mistaken, I do think they they are good at some things, ie/ creating taxes and any other methods to extract your cash from you and at the same time making cuts in services and giving you nothing for your cash.

All those jobs you talk about are very nice for the few who get the jobs.

It's debatable whether you think the public services are good in the Uk, I compare them to other countries in Europe.

Like I say, years ago services were good, in fact they probably were the best, unfortunately this is no longer the case, it's all money money money, they even made the car steel so thin to save money, it was like paper, when they couldn't get it any thinner they sold the companies off.

How did they afford it years ago when they probably were actually the best? Now the services have deteriorated we pay more or can't even afford them

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 23rd 2011 at 5:07 pm.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 4:59 pm
  #28  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by JLFS View Post
Granted that some services are not as they once were or how they should be, but for someone who does not hate the place, you are doing a very good impression.

Also, to say that you cannot say anything positive about the UK is one of your most moronic statements.
Well I must be a Moron then.....and you must have blinkers on or are talking about another uk that I certainly don't recognise.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:04 pm
  #29  
 
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,590
anonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond reputeanonimouse has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by cricketman View Post
Well that is because Britian like the other Western countries in the world has been living beyond its means for so long, so now they are having to cut services.

You are correct in that a lot of Brits think Britain is one of the best in the world in almost everything and think that countries like Spain or Hungary are "uncivilised" or "third world" in comparison.

These people are just ignorant and stupid, like the Americans who think the USA is best at everything. The USA is good at making money but is a failure at so many other things, just like most other countries who a great at a few things and average or poor at the rest.
So you agree with me then?, and so does JLFS
Granted that some services are not as they once were or how they should be
with his comment.

It has gone down hill through no fault of our own. It must be miss management, that you are having to pay for. fair enough, but let's not still harp on that we are the best when we couldn't even live within our means, very clever eh?

I don't hate the Uk, I hate having to pay out hard earned cash yet be told the services are being cut, and being told they are the finest in the world. That's a job I would have liked with money for nothing.

Last edited by anonimouse; Mar 23rd 2011 at 5:14 pm.
anonimouse is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2011, 5:21 pm
  #30  
Banned
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 5,008
JLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond reputeJLFS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Spain is the best country in Europe...

Originally Posted by anonimouse View Post
So you agree with me then?, and so does JLFS with his comment.

It has gone down hill through no fault of our own. It must be miss management, that you are having to pay for. fair enough, but let's not still harp on that we are the best when we couldn't even live within our means, very clever eh?

I don't hate the Uk, I hate having to pay out hard earned cash yet be told the services are being cut, and being told they are the finest in the world. That's a job I would have liked with money for nothing.
I agree that there are things in the UK that have gone downhill, and me agreeing with one aspect of your view does not mean we have the same general opinion of the UK, get it?

I will say it again for those who have trouble understanding, I DO NOT think that the UK has nothing going for it, very much the opposite.
JLFS is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.