Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Spain accepts the ransom of its banks

Spain accepts the ransom of its banks

Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice
Default Re: Spain accepts the ransom of its banks

Apparently Rajoy is going to Gdansk to watch Spain's first match. Well why not ??
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:08 am
BE Enthusiast

petew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nicepetew is just really nice

I recall we rented a flat for a short time in Albir, Costa Blanca. They were very small, badly built and being sold for 170,000 euros with 110% mortgages (to cover taxes etc). I doubt if they would bring 80,000 now if you could sell one. It was obvious even then that the price was inflated but people bought because of the 110% mortgages.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:49 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
It's a pity we can't be like the UK, instead of a bailout just print lots of money.
That's the basic problem with the Euro - the countries don't have that option and the ECB won't do it (yet).

I bet they will eventually.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 4:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Bigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud ofBigger Jim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
Why ransom? What would the alternative have been? Let them fail?
And from Merkel down they all loose face! but will still want to see their project finalised.

Jim
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:02 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bigger Jim
And from Merkel down they all loose face! but will still want to see their project finalised.

Jim
So are you suggesting we let them fail?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Suppose it depends how you define failure? 1/4 or near enough of the Countries in the Euro requiring bailouts (whatever you call them) doesn't strike me as a great success. Plus Cyprus indicating it will probably be the next.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 5:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Fred per this link they have done QE may have hidden it but have done some
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/europpblog/20...ecb-inflation/
Old Jun 10th 2012, 6:37 am
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petew
I recall we rented a flat for a short time in Albir, Costa Blanca. They were very small, badly built and being sold for 170,000 euros with 110% mortgages (to cover taxes etc). I doubt if they would bring 80,000 now if you could sell one. It was obvious even then that the price was inflated but people bought because of the 110% mortgages.

You're paying extra in Albir for that walk along the promenade all the way to Altea. And the climb up the mountains on the other side. I like Albir, but I wouldn't pay 170K for a small apartment there.

CAM bank have a big branch there, just up from the sea, I would imagine that's where the 110% mortgage offer came from.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 10:51 am
BE Forum Addict

megmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond reputemegmet has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
That's the basic problem with the Euro - the countries don't have that option and the ECB won't do it (yet).

I bet they will eventually.
My money is on that too!

It will be interesting to see what the financial markets make of all this in the morning.
I for one will be selling my shares the moment they go back into profit, as a pensionista I don't need the aggro and uncertainty of it all.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:44 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

HBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond reputeHBG has a reputation beyond repute

I need someone to blame for what happened this morning, and I'm going to blame the British media and not my lack of economic understanding.

The British media, especially the right-wing lot, predicted that the Spanish bail-out would lead to a meltdown in the markets and speed up the failure of the Euro. I went along with that thinking; if the fourth biggest economy in Europe needs a bail-out, the whole Eurozone is bound to be in trouble - and by extension, the whole world.

Well, the British media was wrong, completely wrong. The markets and the Euro are all up.

(I was wrong too).
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:46 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HBG
I need someone to blame for what happened this morning, and I'm going to blame the British media and not my lack of economic understanding.

The British media, especially the right-wing lot, predicted that the Spanish bail-out would lead to a meltdown in the markets and speed up the failure of the Euro. I went along with that thinking; if the fourth biggest economy in Europe needs a bail-out, the whole Eurozone is bound to be in trouble - and by extension, the whole world.

Well, the British media was wrong, completely wrong. The markets and the Euro are all up.

(I was wrong too).
I'm in Britain and all I ever read was that if Spain DOESN"T get a bail out then the Euro is likely to fail. Strange how we read into things what we want eh?
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:54 pm
HBG
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I'm in Britain and all I ever read was that if Spain DOESN"T get a bail out then the Euro is likely to fail. Strange how we read into things what we want eh?
I live in Spain and the last thing I want is a collapse of the Eurozone. I would need to start packing and I'm not ready for it, yet.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 7:58 pm
Straw Man.

Originally Posted by HBG
I live in Spain and the last thing I want is a collapse of the Eurozone. I would need to start packing and I'm not ready for it, yet.
Well then we are all happy.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

agoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond reputeagoreira has a reputation beyond repute

Much the same reports as I must have read, Spain was always going to get a bailout, the sooner it accepted it, the better for all concerned, it would calm the markets. But most expats are paranoid where the UK press is concerned. Not sure why they bother reading it, stick to the Spanish press, you'll get the true picture there. Spain refused to use the word "crisis" for a long time after everyone else was suffering one, same as they denied a rescate was ever going to be necessary. I'd like to think this amount would be sufficient, but I have a nagging feeling they'll need a lot, lot more.
Old Jun 10th 2012, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond reputechrisjolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by megmet
Well we all knew it would eventually despite all the denials!

http://www.cadenaser.com/economia/ar...srcsreco_6/Tes
And they are still denying its anything but a bank problem..why doesnt the Government legislate so that banks or any lender cannot just borrow money to lend money. We need tighter fincial regulation because the finance industry cannot and will not do it themselves. Where are the guys that got the banks into this mess? Nowhere to be seen! But you can be certain they are still enjoying good salaries and all the normal perks of their jobs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.