Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Soy Major No idiota/I am old, not an idiot

Soy Major No idiota/I am old, not an idiot

Old Feb 13th 2022, 11:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Lynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond reputeLynn R has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soy Major No idiota/I am old, not an idiot

Originally Posted by Retired in Euskadi
Online banking I have no problem with. But www.booking.com yes.
Yesterday we had to cancel 2 of the 3 days we'd booked into a hotel in Burgos because my wife became ill & we decided to return home. To cancel the booking, we couldn't do it face to face with the receptionist, but had to ring booking.com!
I like to play devil's advocate; what if one doesn't have a mobile?
In future, I'll try to avoid using booking.com or other similar ones & try to book directly with a hotel.
I used Booking.com for hotel reservations for years but have now taken to booking direct with hotels whenever possible. It usually works out cheaper (some of the chains also give additional discounts for people over a certain age - Barceló, Eurostars and Best Western all do) and they give additional benefits if you join their loyalty programme like room upgrades, early check-in/late check-out, etc). About 3 years ago we were on the train heading to Madrid when my husband got a call from Booking.com - to say that the apartment we had reserved through them to stay in from that night was no longer available (they said the owner had double booked it). They said they had emailed my husband a suggested alternative - problem was neither of us had a smartphone at the time so could neither see the alternative or go through the process to book it, which Booking.com insisted he would have to do. It caused a lot of stress, we had to look for a locutorio once we got to Madrid but could not find one (they are thin on the ground these days as so many people have smartphones with internet access) and finally went into a hotel to enquire if they had rooms available. They didn't, but the receptionist kindly let us use a computer in their reception area which was for use by guests, to make the new booking. An experience which prompted us to change to smartphones pdq. And the alternative Booking.com directed us to wasn't up to much either, we would not have chosen it ourselves but by that time we just wanted a roof over our heads!
Old Feb 13th 2022, 12:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soy Major No idiota/I am old, not an idiot

Yes Lynn booking direct is often cheaper than Booking com as you say quite a few do excellent rates for over 60/65. I often locate what look like nice hotels using Booking.com then check for that hotel either direct or on a search to find better rates. Booking. Com did once cancel a room I had booked however they did offer me one nearby which was more expensive at my original rate. I was informed by email as you say.

​​​