Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Old Mar 1st 2010, 5:38 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Originally Posted by cantabrian
thank you all you legal experts! you go on about you cannot do this and you cannot do that!! 2yrs ago a spanish lady pulled out of her sisters drive while i was passing i fixed her renault quite nicely!! she DID NOT UNDERSTAND the accident form i had to go to the local renault dealer in my CAR!! because she could NOT READ!!!!!!!!!!!!! the dealer then told HER she was NOT INSURED!!! there was a very minor dent in my car (4x4) but i went to the guardia and they were NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!
I'm not sure what your agenda is here Cantabrian. We just give advice. If you dont like what you hear then theres no point in having a go at people who are just trying to help.

Maybe it is best if you go back to Cambridge if it's getting that difficult for you.
Old Mar 1st 2010, 11:34 pm
Just Joined

richardheyman is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree that it's fair to register the car with spanish plates, but what if they just refuse to do so?

As I said before, I tried to register it and was ready to go through the whole proccess and pay whatever that was required, but they told me it couldn't be registered here unless I was showing the "certificado de baja consular" (that had to be less than one month old by the way).

So I'm on my way for getting one, but this thing really annoys me.

By the way, I've been told by an spanish insurance agent that he thinks that even if the UK company refuses to pay a claim, as long as you demostrate you have a policy, BY SPANISH LAW, you are covered with the "seguro obligatorio".

For example, if a spanish registered car has a valid policy but has an outdated ITV, lack of vehicle maintenance, drunk driver...

The company will of course refuse to pay, but he will still be covered by the "seguro obligatorio".

He thinks the same applies in the case of a UK registered car with an insurance, even if the company invalidates you policy for any reason.

Anyway, I hope I'll have my car spanish registered in 6 months or so.
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:25 am
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardheyman

By the way, I've been told by an spanish insurance agent that he thinks that even if the UK company refuses to pay a claim, as long as you demostrate you have a policy, BY SPANISH LAW, you are covered with the "seguro obligatorio".

For example, if a spanish registered car has a valid policy but has an outdated ITV, lack of vehicle maintenance, drunk driver...

The company will of course refuse to pay, but he will still be covered by the "seguro obligatorio".

He thinks the same applies in the case of a UK registered car with an insurance, even if the company invalidates you policy for any reason.
It is the same in the UK, there is a company/organisation that may cover uninsured drivers, but that doesnt mean that we dont have to have insurance!! And I believe you have to pay them back for any claims they cover on your behalf ??!!?

Jo xxx
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 8:29 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

thank you all you legal experts! you go on about you cannot do this and you cannot do that!! 2yrs ago a spanish lady pulled out of her sisters drive while i was passing i fixed her renault quite nicely!! she DID NOT UNDERSTAND the accident form i had to go to the local renault dealer in my CAR!! because she could NOT READ!!!!!!!!!!!!! the dealer then told HER she was NOT INSURED!!! there was a very minor dent in my car (4x4) but i went to the guardia and they were NOT INTERESTED!!!!!!!!!!
Would you rather have it like the UK?

If the situation were reversed i.e. you driving a spanish reg car on invalid UK insurance they would have more than likely prosecuted you
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:28 pm
Just Joined

cantabrian is an unknown quantity at this point

i think that remark is so pathetic, i am legal concerning insurance,all i have quoted is that the guardia were not interested in the lady having no insurance they were happy with my piece of paper!!
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 1:50 pm
squeaky clean

Location: Spain 4th feb 08 - October 11, now flits batck and forth from sunny Worthing
jojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

i think that remark is so pathetic, i am legal concerning insurance,all i have quoted is that the guardia were not interested in the lady having no insurance they were happy with my piece of paper!!
If you have an accident and seriously injure your wife and yourself. Your insurance will not pay up unless your car is legal. You will then have all your properties embargoed and you'll be convicted. I hope you at least have medical insurance for when that day comes. I'm sure even you're not daft enough to not have any health cover LOL

Jo xxxx
Old Mar 2nd 2010, 2:36 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

i think that remark is so pathetic,
I would take care ... thats unnecessary