Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Old Jan 29th 2010, 11:15 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all
Default Re: Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

There is an article in today's Sur in English about importing vehicles into Spain. It talks of the constant changes in the law which, thus mean, even those who have gone through the process may no longer know how it must be done now in 2010.

It also mentions a problem which now exists. The law regarding importing a vehicle must start within 2 months of application for residencia, but the vehicle must have been owned for at least 6 months. Apparently, hitherto, the application could proceed before the 6 months was completed, but now it cannot.

I suggest, as I have before, that people affected would be better advised to contact a gestor, experienced in such matters, rather than ask question here.

PS The article also says there is a special branch in the Guardia Civil whose only function is to stop and inspect foreign vehicles. So for all those who say they have been stopped many times (with the wrong paperwork) and have got away with it, then take care, your time may be coming to an end.
Old Jan 29th 2010, 12:15 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi John,

Today I just finished rematriculaing another car - something we do every month; Yes things change, and we don't know until we get before the desk that something has changed.

I was in Utrera hacienda two months ago with the Jefa and read on her screen that the car must have been owned for one year to avoid the "first registration tax" (knownas import duty).

However, it all depends on the person behind the desk as to interpretation of the rules; On Wednesday, a 2003 immigrant (as defined on the empadron) was given an Exemption from the first registration tax (should have been 2,504 euros!). Needless to say, we "did a runner fast".

Davexf

Last edited by Dxf; Jan 29th 2010 at 12:21 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 31st 2010, 1:42 pm
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Richard:- Just remembered this site:- http://www.spainvia.com/historicvehicles.htm

It's Brian Deller, author of motoring in Spain's site. It some info re 'historic vehicles' importation.

However, I just notice an error in the info on the page re residencia and have email Brian Deller regarding it.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:21 pm
Just Joined

cantabrian is an unknown quantity at this point

ok lets sort this stupid problem OUT !!! a person can have their car in the uk for a few years (poss jap import) you turn up in a country (spain) which is still trying to become something? some people on this site including me cannot afford to go through the so called procedure, in other countries there is not a problem the people here are still coming out of the FRANCO ERA !!
Old Feb 25th 2010, 5:48 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cantabrian
ok lets sort this stupid problem OUT !!! a person can have their car in the uk for a few years (poss jap import) you turn up in a country (spain) which is still trying to become something? some people on this site including me cannot afford to go through the so called procedure, in other countries there is not a problem the people here are still coming out of the FRANCO ERA !!
So, are you saying that its alright to bring your car over here and do nothing with it except fill it with petrol when it needs it???

Jo xxx
Old Feb 25th 2010, 6:06 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

If you had it for several years in the UK, you would tax, insure and MOT it and it would be UK registered, wouldn't it? So why do you think you should be able to drive it in, say Spain, without it being registered, taxed, insured or MOT's especially with the fact that your UK car would have it's headlights, fog lights, reversing lights being either on the wrong side or dipping the wrong way. If you can't afford to go through the procedure, then the simplest thing is to sell it in the UK, and buy one in Spain that is legal. QED.
Old Feb 25th 2010, 9:37 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

I dont think you will get much sympathy here with that point of view. The law is the law, whichever country you are in, so you have to abide by them. Theres no sorting out, as you put it, to do.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 5:49 pm
Just Joined

cantabrian is an unknown quantity at this point

the car in question is a mitsubishi pajero (yeh i know my spanish!) 1992 rhd 2 rear fogs 2 reversing lights headlights changed itv voluntary AND fully INSURED not enough money in the pot to change plates and certainly not enough to buy another car, looks a bit nearer for going back (SNIP)

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Feb 26th 2010 at 6:48 pm. Reason: Not necessary
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:36 pm
Banned

jojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond reputejojojojojojojojojojojojo has a reputation beyond repute

the car in question is a mitsubishi pajero (yeh i know my spanish!) 1992 rhd 2 rear fogs 2 reversing lights headlights changed itv voluntary AND fully INSURED not enough money in the pot to change plates and certainly not enough to buy another car, looks a bit nearer for going back what is the dunroaming person bleating on about!!
NOT fully insured as its illegal and insurance companies are only too happy to take your money, but I'll bet they wont pay up when you have an accident and kill someone. Maybe you could have not paid it at all????

Jo xxx
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:48 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Seems you were right Mitzy

No matter how many times you explain it, someone will always think the law does not apply to them
Old Feb 26th 2010, 6:51 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

the car in question is a mitsubishi pajero (yeh i know my spanish!) 1992 rhd 2 rear fogs 2 reversing lights headlights changed itv voluntary AND fully INSURED not enough money in the pot to change plates and certainly not enough to buy another car, looks a bit nearer for going back (SNIP)
Well, forgive me for saying .... but you said you've been here for a long long time. I appreciate you are finding times hard now, but surely at some time in the past!!!

Anyway, as I say ... you wont get much sympathy here. You're only probably covered 3rd party even if the company decide to pay out in the event of an incident. The car is not legal here, its not legal in the country of registration. Use search, you'll see enough on the subject.
Old Feb 26th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really niceolivia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
Well, forgive me for saying .... but you said you've been here for a long long time. I appreciate you are finding times hard now, but surely at some time in the past!!!

Anyway, as I say ... you wont get much sympathy here. You're only probably covered 3rd party even if the company decide to pay out in the event of an incident. The car is not legal here, its not legal in the country of registration. Use search, you'll see enough on the subject.
This subject is a minefield isn't it?
For someone who wants to keep legal and within the law. How can we run one vehicle and live between Spain and U.K.
U.K. insurance demands only 3 months out of the country.
Does anyone have the solution?
Old Feb 26th 2010, 11:58 pm
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by olivia
For someone who wants to keep legal and within the law. How can we run one vehicle and live between Spain and U.K.
It is not difficult - buy and register a car in whichever country you are resident. You are legal to visit a.n.other EU countries.

The "problem" is those who ignore the law, buy and register a car in UK and keep it in spain.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 7:24 am
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by olivia
No, its not a minefield ... people keep making it more complicated than it is. Some just try to make it complicated just to justify what they are doing (not referring to you)

Yes. It's quite simple. I presume you are not a resident in Spain.

In that case you will be allowed to use the UK plated car for 6 months per year on the Spanish roads. It still has to be legal in the country of registration, so MOT and tax, and you will be able to insure it in Spain with someone like Knights. My Spanish insurance allows me to drive anywhere in Europe. Best to check policies for the period. Whilst you are over here you will need to keep records on you of your ferry trips so you can show anyone the time you have been here. The period, I believe, doesn't have to be one 6 month stretch, it can be cumulative.

If you are a Spanish resident, then I'm afraid you should matriculate it, and then again your Spanish insurance will very probably cover you when you are out of the country. I just spent 2 months in the UK and my Spanish insurance covered me.
Old Feb 27th 2010, 9:25 am
Banned

Now, just to complicate things further, I actually phoned an English/Spanish insurance company yesterday cos I wanted to find out more about this so called "Minefield" They didnt help!!!!

First of all the girl was just desperate to get my details and insure me (I dont have a car in this situation anyway)So the whole phone call was punctuated with her trying to get my details, car details etc... But she told me that any british car regardless of how long its been here could be insured here by them for any ammount of time you like as long as it has either a valied MoT or a ITV (you can apparently get a special ITV done on Brit cars which simply says that the car is road worthy???? you may have to get stickers for the lights???) UK road tax wasnt necessary cos its not being driven on UK roads!!! She then told me that if you're stopped by the guardia, they only want to see the insurance certificate so as long as you have that all would be well! I then asked her if her company would pay up in the event of an accident. She said they would only if the car was legal at the time!

No wonder it gets confusing if this is the advise from "the horses mouth"!!!! I asked her if her company had anything in writing to confirm what she said and to see the official rules on the subject and she said no in a confused tone - she really couldnt understand the problem???? So is there one??

Jo xxxx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.