Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Old Jan 26th 2010, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all
Default Re: Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Originally Posted by johncar61
one can leave a UK plated vehicle in Spain permanently but you or your family (not residents) can only use it for a maximum if 183 days per year. Thus an insurance company are not breaking the law by issuing 12 month policies.
You are quite correct. I was, of course, writing in the context of the "chancers" who use their UK plated cars all year. The insurers are giving people the impression that such cars can be used all year, legally, as I've heard a number of people say "if I am insured, I must be legal". I didn't say they (the insurers) were breaking the law as they can decide to insure whatever they want, as it suits them - the fight comes when a payout is needed.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 1:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shaggymon
So insurers are above the law and condone illegal motoring? Presumably they will also refund any unused portion for the period when the car has been confiscated/impounded?
Remember you are in Spain, forget UK logic/laws ,Ive heard many tales of impounding but have yet to meet someone who has had theres impounded , its unlikley if you have insurance/license and your not taking the pi** , I know people who have been driving for over 10 years on UK plates without a problem, I dont judge them or feel bitter about having paid to re register several cars unlike some on this forum
Old Jan 26th 2010, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

richardheyman is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you all guys for being so helpfull.

I talked with several "homologación" business this morning and they said that, in case I can get the "certificado de baja consular" it will be really easy and will spend about 300 euros + the cost of the LHD beams.

Haven't tried vicracing yet Rotor, thank you for the link.

But they also said that if I can't get that, it's going to be a big mess, much dearer and complicated and there is even a chance for the registration to be denied as it doesn't meet the euro IV rules.

So it all depends on my chances to get that "certificado de baja consular" (see post 11). If I get it, I will definetly register it in Spain and save hassle; if not, I might sell it or might be a "chancer". Maybe get a cheap spanish car to use daily and use this just for my 4x4 trips so the chances of getting impounded would be dramatically reduced, but anyway, I will try every way to register it here.

This car is really special and it's impossible to get the same version in Spain. I spent hundreds of hours working on it and I'd hate to have to sell it.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:29 pm
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johncar61
Unless someone is going to quote a new law, one can leave a UK plated vehicle in Spain permanently but you or your family (not residents) can only use it for a maximum if 183 days per year. Thus an insurance company are not breaking the law by issuing 12 month policies.

Also The UK Vehicle Excise Licence (Road Tax) is only applicable to vehicles used on a road maintained at public expense in the UK, although their maybe a problem in UK in that I believe one must certify that the vehicle is not being used on a public road to qualify for exemption.
If out the UK for over a year it has to be exported and replated, if less than a year it still comes under UK laws and has to be taxed and MOT`d.

HERE
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:58 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jdr
If out the UK for over a year it has to be exported and replated, if less than a year it still comes under UK laws and has to be taxed and MOT`d.

HERE
When will people moving to Spain finally realise that you HAVE to obey the laws of the country, it's no good saying that 'a friend said it was OK' That won't cut any ice with Traffico, and the rules are much stricter in Spain if tou are stopped and found to be illegal. They don't take details and say take your documents to police station within 7 days, they impound your car, allow you to remove personal items, and send you on your way, it's then up to you to get home, your car is towed to a pound and will only be released once it has been made legal, and they will charge you for towing and keeping it. If you don't make arrangements to get it back, then they crush it. THE HUGE NUMBER OF ILLEGAL UK CARS IN SPAIN WAS MY PET HATE WHILE I LIVED THERE.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rotor
I know people who have been driving for over 10 years on UK plates without a problem
Nevertheless, they are breaking the law. All law breakers get away with it...until they are caught.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Location: In a cardboard box soon if I dont find anywhere to rent!
sparkplug will become famous soon enoughsparkplug will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shaggymon
Nevertheless, they are breaking the law. All law breakers get away with it...until they are caught.
thats true enough!
just moved from a place where its sort of tolerated that the brits can use uk reg cars IF they have an itv done and pay the tax. HOWEVER where I am now will definately NOT allow that as I have spoken to a very very nice Trafico (who spoke perfect english) and he advised me of what to do the legal way....... His pet hate is guias(?) not obeying traffic laws..... This was in San Pedro so I can imagine he travels along the main roads looking for funds to the policemans ball????
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:52 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

The "Baja de Residecia" is simply a form by the British Consul to say you have abandoned your county of birth with the intention of permanently residing in Spain.

It states the date this happened, and now should correspond with your empadron. We did one recently without problem for a guy that became resident here in 2003 - so the Baja stated 2003!

He will pay 2,500€ in import duty but he will be legal.

Davexf
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

twistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond reputetwistedmelon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sparkplug
just moved from a place where its sort of tolerated that the brits can use uk reg cars IF they have an itv done and pay the tax. HOWEVER where I am now will definately NOT allow that
You know one of the first things I learnt here was that if you ask 20 spanish people a question you'll get 20 different answers, I don't believe it is part of the culture to say "I don't know" that's why there is this forum for us poor thickos to try and fathom it out.
I do know, as has been said, that grey imports are notoriously hard to sort out here.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Dxf
Hi

The "Baja de Residecia" is simply a form by the British Consul to say you have abandoned your county of birth with the intention of permanently residing in Spain.

It states the date this happened, and now should correspond with your empadron. We did one recently without problem for a guy that became resident here in 2003 - so the Baja stated 2003!

He will pay 2,500€ in import duty but he will be legal.

Davexf
So in my case they will find out that I first moved here in 2005?. Then the ITV won't accept my "matriculación por cambio de residencia" application as long as I've owned the car from 2007, will they. Check my post 11 for details.

I've just been thinking about a crazy idea, couldn't I just register myself back in Liverpool for let's say three months, and then register in La Coruña again and ask for the "certificado de baja consular" then? If I could make my car legal that way, it'd be worth the hassle.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 8:48 pm
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Dxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond reputeDxf has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

ITV should not care about the dates; there is nothing wrong in buying a car after living here for a few years and then rematriculating it.

Yes you will have to pay the "first registration" (import) tax but I see no other problems. We actually had a case where a genuine "newby" had a car which she had owned for lss than 6 months.

Davexf
Old Jan 26th 2010, 10:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Dave.

I'm ok with paying tax, as it's not going to be much being this a 1991 car, but I think that if you are not eligible for "matriculación por cambio de residencia", the vehicle has to meet Euro IV emission requirements and Euro IV began in 2005, so I don't think a 1991 4x4 will meet that at all.

Do you know if this is true?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 5:36 am
Dxf
BE Forum Addict

Hi

Knowing the way that ITV work, it is quite likely that on the day it may well pass - it all depends on the person that does the test!!!

Davexf
Old Jan 27th 2010, 6:22 am
Retired and loving it!

snikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond reputesnikpoh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by richardheyman
So in my case they will find out that I first moved here in 2005?. Then the ITV won't accept my "matriculación por cambio de residencia" application as long as I've owned the car from 2007, will they. Check my post 11 for details.

I've just been thinking about a crazy idea, couldn't I just register myself back in Liverpool for let's say three months, and then register in La Coruña again and ask for the "certificado de baja consular" then? If I could make my car legal that way, it'd be worth the hassle.
IFF you go this route, then you must first DE-register from Spain - forms etc. available from local town hall!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 1:38 pm
Just Joined

Thank you Dave and snikpoh.

Ok, so I have to De-register first, and, how long do I have to stay registered back in Liverpool before asking for my "certificado de baja consular".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.