Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:06 pm
Just Joined

richardheyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Hello everyone, my name is Richard, I just introduced myself in the other forum.

As said in the subject, sorry for giving this question back, as I used the search engine and it's been discused so many times, but still don't get everything clear.

I've been here for two years and I have a car that I brought about 10 months ago. The MOT is about to expire.

I was planning to keep the UK registration as I've been told it's going to be very difficult to register it here (it has some modifications that are not allowed by spanish laws).

My plan was to go back once a year with the car to do the MOT, but I have another car there and it's a real pain to drive to Santander and take the ferry while I can take a plane and be in Liverpool in no time. A friend just told me that I could just forget about the MOT and keep the car here, as they can't proof how much time I've been here. Is that true?

My company policy says that I'm insured fully comprehensive in any EU country for the first three months and then third party if I exceed that time, so it seems OK.

He also told me that even if they found out that I keep the car here permanently, they could refuse paying in case of a claim, but, as long as I have a valid policy, I'm covered with the minimum required by law (for third party obviously) that in Spain with the new law is 15 million euros per accident for material damage and 70 million euros per accident for personal damage.

I've been talking with a spanish insurance agent and he told me that if someone insured by a spanish company have an accident, he's covered by that minimum even if he had broken the insurance policy, like driving without ITV or something like that.

What do you think? Will it be crazy to do that?, If I paid a lot of money to register the car in Spain I would also be getting third party insurance so it seems OK.

I also read here that some spanish companies like Linea Directa insure english registered cars. Will they check if the car has a valid MOT and tax in case of a claim?

Thank you in advance.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:13 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry but again...UK registered car in Spain.

Originally Posted by richardheyman
Hello everyone, my name is Richard, I just introduced myself in the other forum.

As said in the subject, sorry for giving this question back, as I used the search engine and it's been discused so many times, but still don't get everything clear.

I've been here for two years and I have a car that I brought about 10 months ago. The MOT is about to expire.

I was planning to keep the UK registration as I've been told it's going to be very difficult to register it here (it has some modifications that are not allowed by spanish laws).

My plan was to go back once a year with the car to do the MOT, but I have another car there and it's a real pain to drive to Santander and take the ferry while I can take a plane and be in Liverpool in no time. A friend just told me that I could just forget about the MOT and keep the car here, as they can't proof how much time I've been here. Is that true?

My company policy says that I'm insured fully comprehensive in any EU country for the first three months and then third party if I exceed that time, so it seems OK.

He also told me that even if they found out that I keep the car here permanently, they could refuse paying in case of a claim, but, as long as I have a valid policy, I'm covered with the minimum required by law (for third party obviously) that in Spain with the new law is 15 million euros per accident for material damage and 70 million euros per accident for personal damage.

I've been talking with a spanish insurance agent and he told me that if someone insured by a spanish company have an accident, he's covered by that minimum even if he had broken the insurance policy, like driving without ITV or something like that.

What do you think? Will it be crazy to do that?, If I paid a lot of money to register the car in Spain I would also be getting third party insurance so it seems OK.

I also read here that some spanish companies like Linea Directa insure english registered cars. Will they check if the car has a valid MOT and tax in case of a claim?

Thank you in advance.
Youve got to use the search engine, as this has been discussed so many times before.

I assume you live in Spain and therefore you are a resident here. If so, its illegal for you to drive the car on UK plates ... you need to matriculate it to Spanish plates. Mines a grey import with various mods and I managed it!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:17 pm
On the road again.

Dick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond reputeDick Dasterdly has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you read the previous threads thoroughly enough, you'll find you can't legally get away with it.
However if you are a chancer you just might,.....but doubt if anyone on here will condone it.
Best of luck anyway,...you may need it.......
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you guys.

I read more than fiveteen threads about it, but still didn't find the one with my situation so I could figure out.

Yes, I'm a resident, but I've been stopped by the Guardia Civil at least three times with no problems at all. They didn't even put many attention on the papers, just asked if the car was mine.

When you say I need good luck, do you mean with the Guardia Civil or in case of an accident?

Mitzyboy, how much did you pay for your registration?. How old was the vehicle?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:35 pm
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you guys.

I read more than fiveteen threads about it, but still didn't find the one with my situation so I could figure out.

Yes, I'm a resident, but I've been stopped by the Guardia Civil at least three times with no problems at all. They didn't even put many attention on the papers, just asked if the car was mine.

When you say I need good luck, do you mean with the Guardia Civil or in case of an accident?

Mitzyboy, how much did you pay for your registration?. How old was the vehicle?
If you have an accident, questions will be asked. If you are stopped specifically for this reason (its happening more) questions will be asked. As someone said, you can chance it but .... why?

My car was 10 years old with uprated disks, decat exhaust
It cost me €900 + tax
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Thank you in advance.
Presumably you are happy to comply with UK regs (or is it just easier?), even considering an incredibly flawed plan to drive back to the UK to do so What makes you think you are exempt from abiding by Spanish law? Why not save hassle and do things properly?

Stopped three times - I'd say you'd better watch out as you are clearly a marked man...your luck will run out with Traffico. Make sure you also have the drivers medical certificate or else when you are caught out you will be deemed to have an expired licence as well!
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

Thank you too shaggymon.

Now guys you are scaring me!. And I was just doubting between going back to the UK for MOT or not!. Now I'm considering spanish registration, what I had discard after my friend's advice.

You are right that I've not been stopped by Trafico Guardia Civil, just by the regular ones.

Anyway, 900€ seems like a bargain. I was quoted 1800 just for the "homologación" (it's a 4x4, japanese import, it's lifted, bigger tires....) then add another 400 (guessing) for the LHD beams, Tax, ITV.....

I guess I've been lucky cause there are not many english people here.

By the way, I just made my insurance renewal on December, I wonder if they would give part of the money back in case I registered it here.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 9:57 pm
Yaaarp

Madridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond reputeMadridboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy
If you have an accident, questions will be asked. If you are stopped specifically for this reason (its happening more) questions will be asked. As someone said, you can chance it but .... why?

My car was 10 years old with uprated disks, decat exhaust
It cost me €900 + tax
Scooby, Evo, Supra.....am I getting warm?
Old Jan 25th 2010, 10:36 pm

Casa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond reputeCasa Santo Estevo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Madridboy
Scooby, Evo, Supra.....am I getting warm?
I thought it was one of these?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_FTO

PS can this thread be closed? This has all be said before, (or put a link in the free beer thing at the top).

Last edited by Casa Santo Estevo; Jan 25th 2010 at 10:38 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:11 pm
Senior Moment

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo

PS can this thread be closed? This has all be said before, (or put a link in the free beer thing at the top).
Mine is an FTO, his is a 4 x 4, which an FTO isnt
Old Jan 25th 2010, 11:15 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Casa Santo Estevo

Sorry if I'm a dummy using the search engine, but I told you I searched and, although I found many threads about it, couldn't find anyone in my situation.

Please if you close it, give a link to some other thread that explains the whole thing.

Anyway, I've gotten really worried, so I'm making a full research on this.

I've read you need a "certificado de baja consular" to register and old car that doesn't meet the Euro IV contamination rules.

Well I first registered myself as a resident in Spain in 2005, when I spent a year in Cantabria, then I lived in Poland for two years (not a registered resident) and then back to Spain in 2008. I've spent at least 4 months a year at home during all this time, but I don't think that will apply to get that "certificado de baja consular". I have all kind of documentation that proves that I kept going back to the UK, but I guess that won't be valid.

I mention all these cause I bought the car in 2007, registered in my address in Liverpool, but at that time I was still (I think) legally registered in Cantabria and actually moving from Poland to La Coruña.

I know, it's a big mess!. So, what are my chances of getting that certificate stamped with the current date?

If I ask for the "certificado de baja consular" it will have the 2005 date, when I first moved to Cantabria, won't it?

If the certificate shows the 2005 date then I guess I don't have any chances as the car was adquired in 2007.

I'm really confused!
Old Jan 26th 2010, 6:16 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

By the way, I just made my insurance renewal on December, I wonder if they would give part of the money back in case I registered it here.

Just on the insurance point. You can insure a UK registered vehicle here in Spain. I won't advertise here but suggest you look in the English Language press.

My understanding, and that of three insurance brokers who insure UK plated cars here in Spain all say you do not need an MOT to be insured in Spain, although it is their procedure in the case of a write off to pay full market value is you have an MOT (or an ITV which can be obtained at some ITV test centres) but only trade value without one.

But of course as said above if you are resident then you may not, in usual circumstances, drive a non Spanish plated vehicle. (Getting away with it does not mean the advice here is wrong, but just that you have been lucky).

In passing: If you go back to UK then you need an MOT (not an ITV) to drive it in UK, even from the port. The way around this is to make an appointment for an MOT. You are then permitted to drive to that centre. The distance you choose to drive, i.e. where you make the appointment, is not (was not anyway) limited.

Last edited by johncar61; Jan 26th 2010 at 6:19 am.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:05 am
BE Forum Addict

Rotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond reputeRotor has a reputation beyond repute

For homologation on modified vehicles try www.vicracing.es ,only spanish spoken.

If you want to insure your car on UK plates and take a chance have a look at
www.ibexinsure.com , they will cover your UK car in Spain and more importantly they are genuine and pay out, even if your UK car has no UK tax or mot!! Been there, done it.
Policies are 12 month ones regardless of the law saying you can only be in Spain 3 or 6 months with the car.
They may require proof of a service by a legitimate garage as proof of condition, they did with me when I had a claim.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:32 am
Forum Regular

shaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to allshaggymon is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rotor
Policies are 12 month ones regardless of the law saying you can only be in Spain 3 or 6 months with the car.
They may require proof of a service by a legitimate garage as proof of condition, they did with me when I had a claim.
So insurers are above the law and condone illegal motoring? Presumably they will also refund any unused portion for the period when the car has been confiscated/impounded?
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:52 am
Banned

johncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to alljohncar61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shaggymon
So insurers are above the law and condone illegal motoring? Presumably they will also refund any unused portion for the period when the car has been confiscated/impounded?
Unless someone is going to quote a new law, one can leave a UK plated vehicle in Spain permanently but you or your family (not residents) can only use it for a maximum if 183 days per year. Thus an insurance company are not breaking the law by issuing 12 month policies.

Also The UK Vehicle Excise Licence (Road Tax) is only applicable to vehicles used on a road maintained at public expense in the UK, although their maybe a problem in UK in that I believe one must certify that the vehicle is not being used on a public road to qualify for exemption.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.