Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar living*

Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar living*

Old May 29th 2011, 1:49 pm
Just Joined

zeldazebs is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar living*

Good afternoon all,
I am after some information on living in Gibraltar. I have read the threads, but alot of them appear a little out dated now and I was just wondering (hoping) if someone who is currently living there could offer any advice please?
I don't want to live in spain, I would like to live in Gibraltar and would like to know nice places to live, cost of living, things that you have to pay, for example, water rates, tv license etc. Perhaps daft things to think about but I would be in alot of trouble if I didn't pay them
I have looked on all websites for rental...expensive but if I decide to live there long term I would want to buy, so rental is just whilst I make a decision about staying. I have also been thinking of flat sharing ... maybe.....
Any info. would be brilliant.
Thank you xx
Old May 29th 2011, 4:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Fredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond reputeFredbargate has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar liv

Originally Posted by zeldazebs
Good afternoon all,
I am after some information on living in Gibraltar. I have read the threads, but alot of them appear a little out dated now and I was just wondering (hoping) if someone who is currently living there could offer any advice please?
I don't want to live in spain, I would like to live in Gibraltar and would like to know nice places to live, cost of living, things that you have to pay, for example, water rates, tv license etc. Perhaps daft things to think about but I would be in alot of trouble if I didn't pay them
I have looked on all websites for rental...expensive but if I decide to live there long term I would want to buy, so rental is just whilst I make a decision about staying. I have also been thinking of flat sharing ... maybe.....
Any info. would be brilliant.
Thank you xx
Water http://www.aquagib.gi/tariffs.html

TV licence I believe it has been abolished

Petrol Diesel very variable but 20-30% cheaper than UK

Rates, a flat of 65 sq/mtrs approx £500 / annum

Service charge on same flat £1200 / annum but it varies by development

Electricity about 13 p per unit

Vehicle road tax, this has been abolished.

Internet / telephone http://www.gibtele.com/

Nice area to live??? very personal decision, but Gibraltar is extremely small and crowded.
Old May 30th 2011, 8:19 am
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar liv

I have lived briefly in Gibraltar.I think its a lovely,very friendly place.

But I could only stick it for about 3 months as it was so claustrophobic.There is only so much you can do there and often you cannot get out because of border difficulties.

My OH was interested in living in Gib when we came to Spain nearly 2 years ago.I am so glad I convinced him to think otherwise.

Its great for a visit but long term I think you may end up being very bored and long for the life across the border.

This is just my opinion and good luck with whatever you decide.
Old May 30th 2011, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar liv

Originally Posted by Fredbargate
Water http://www.aquagib.gi/tariffs.html

TV licence I believe it has been abolished

Petrol Diesel very variable but 20-30% cheaper than UK

Rates, a flat of 65 sq/mtrs approx £500 / annum

Service charge on same flat £1200 / annum but it varies by development

Electricity about 13 p per unit

Vehicle road tax, this has been abolished.

Internet / telephone http://www.gibtele.com/

Nice area to live??? very personal decision, but Gibraltar is extremely small and crowded.
Thank you so much. I think your right a very personal decision, I did live there yrs ago but I was very young, so this time it would be clearly different as I would be fending for myself
I am going to go out again and have a look round, then go out for a year or so and see... if I never try I'll never know. Thank you again
Old May 30th 2011, 11:37 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by paintermujer
I have lived briefly in Gibraltar.I think its a lovely,very friendly place.

But I could only stick it for about 3 months as it was so claustrophobic.There is only so much you can do there and often you cannot get out because of border difficulties.

My OH was interested in living in Gib when we came to Spain nearly 2 years ago.I am so glad I convinced him to think otherwise.

Its great for a visit but long term I think you may end up being very bored and long for the life across the border.

This is just my opinion and good luck with whatever you decide.
Thank you! Perhaps your right, but I think I will see how I get on in Gib first, but its always nice to have other avenues to follow. A lot of ppl have said the same thing about little to do etc, But I do have a bigger plan

Where do you live in spain?
Old May 30th 2011, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

paintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond reputepaintermujer has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you! Perhaps your right, but I think I will see how I get on in Gib first, but its always nice to have other avenues to follow. A lot of ppl have said the same thing about little to do etc, But I do have a bigger plan

Where do you live in spain?
We are up in Valencia and I do see your point of having to try it for yourself. At the time I did rent a really awful flat in that old hotel on eastern beach. Great for the beach in summer but not good in the winter - filthy beach and dangerous leaky hotel.We were last there 3 years ago and it was still there.

I think everyone knows that rents are very high but last time there we did notice some more reasonable priced houses for sale up the rock a little but I think the saving would go towards all the new clutches youd need on a car.Lol.
Old May 30th 2011, 1:02 pm
Just Joined

We are up in Valencia and I do see your point of having to try it for yourself. At the time I did rent a really awful flat in that old hotel on eastern beach. Great for the beach in summer but not good in the winter - filthy beach and dangerous leaky hotel.We were last there 3 years ago and it was still there.

I think everyone knows that rents are very high but last time there we did notice some more reasonable priced houses for sale up the rock a little but I think the saving would go towards all the new clutches youd need on a car.Lol.
I have seen some awful places to rent and the ones I want are a little high... always the way. I am going out with a lady who lived there when I did and her friend who is from there is going to show me around as a native and dicuss good and bad options, which is nice of her.
I have a house in the UK which I will be renting out whilst I travel. Part of me wants to buy in Gib, but is there any point if I dont decide to stay??? Hmm, sometimes there are too many options!!!
lol I dont think I will have a car whilst I'm there, I dont even have one here, too expensive.
Ohh Valenica! Looks a lovely place x
Old May 30th 2011, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have seen some awful places to rent and the ones I want are a little high... always the way. I am going out with a lady who lived there when I did and her friend who is from there is going to show me around as a native and dicuss good and bad options, which is nice of her.
I have a house in the UK which I will be renting out whilst I travel. Part of me wants to buy in Gib, but is there any point if I dont decide to stay??? Hmm, sometimes there are too many options!!!
lol I dont think I will have a car whilst I'm there, I dont even have one here, too expensive.
Gib I think is a bit like marmite-love it or hate it. Although i couldnt live there all the time it has a special place in my heart.The best of luck again in your search and having a native to show you around is great.Not everything is advertised and you may find a better price.

Say hello to the monkeys!!!!!!
Old May 30th 2011, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Gib I think is a bit like marmite-love it or hate it. Although i couldnt live there all the time it has a special place in my heart.The best of luck again in your search and having a native to show you around is great.Not everything is advertised and you may find a better price.

Say hello to the monkeys!!!!!!
I will indeed lol
Thank you again for your imput. I think I am however, in danger of over thinking the situation and I should just go and bluming see!!! I can always come back eh?
Thank you
Old May 30th 2011, 9:37 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt a native would have anything bad to say about Gibraltar. They are a very proud bunch and get uptight when you have a dig at the place.

You will not need a car living in Gibraltar. However if you wish to become a true Gibbo, or Llanito, then you will need to buy yourself the biggest Range Rover Sport or equivilent. Then use it to drive your kids 100m down the road to school clogging up the roads, whilst blaming the Spanish for roads being congested. Then you can take the car every now and again and drive round La Linea showing off that youre considerably richer than they are. Then re-join the 1 hour queue to get back into Gibraltar, whilst blaming the Spanish for that also.

Nah its a great place is Gibraltar. I do like it really. Very safe place also.

If you work in Gibraltar then it is worth living there also, you get a lot of tax benefits for that, and don't have to worry about crossing the border every day. Nothing to do? Well depends, Ocean Village, Casemates etc for drinking can be good on a Friday night all year round. Going out even in Fuengirola is totally dead in the winter now on the Costa Del Sol. And in my opinion Duquesa port is just getting scummier and rougher.

The only problem with living in Gibraltar is the isolation. Especially if you dont have a car, you'll find yourself never leaving. Just getting out can take up to an hour before youre out through the border queue, out of la linea and on the motorways in Spain. So a lot generally don't bother.

Working in Gibraltar myself, I've sat myself on the north side of La Linea. By bicycle i can be at work in 20 minutes, and by car I can be in Estepona (where its actually nice) in about 25 minutes. Now if only there was good work in Estepona.... *dreams*
Old May 30th 2011, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
I doubt a native would have anything bad to say about Gibraltar. They are a very proud bunch and get uptight when you have a dig at the place.

You will not need a car living in Gibraltar. However if you wish to become a true Gibbo, or Llanito, then you will need to buy yourself the biggest Range Rover Sport or equivilent. Then use it to drive your kids 100m down the road to school clogging up the roads, whilst blaming the Spanish for roads being congested. Then you can take the car every now and again and drive round La Linea showing off that youre considerably richer than they are. Then re-join the 1 hour queue to get back into Gibraltar, whilst blaming the Spanish for that also.

Nah its a great place is Gibraltar. I do like it really. Very safe place also.

If you work in Gibraltar then it is worth living there also, you get a lot of tax benefits for that, and don't have to worry about crossing the border every day. Nothing to do? Well depends, Ocean Village, Casemates etc for drinking can be good on a Friday night all year round. Going out even in Fuengirola is totally dead in the winter now on the Costa Del Sol. And in my opinion Duquesa port is just getting scummier and rougher.

The only problem with living in Gibraltar is the isolation. Especially if you dont have a car, you'll find yourself never leaving. Just getting out can take up to an hour before youre out through the border queue, out of la linea and on the motorways in Spain. So a lot generally don't bother.

Working in Gibraltar myself, I've sat myself on the north side of La Linea. By bicycle i can be at work in 20 minutes, and by car I can be in Estepona (where its actually nice) in about 25 minutes. Now if only there was good work in Estepona.... *dreams*
lol I would never be able to drive such a big car, I have all on with a Ford Ka. I hate driving to be honest, I am an angry driver, of course its others drivers at fault not me I don't have any kids either, but I could 'borrow' some just to blend in ha ha (good tip)
The isolation thing is a worry, but I suppose at 30 I should be big enough to do something about it. I'm sure I'll be ok at first what with finding a job, my way around finding somewhere to live... but after that, when life resumes I will have look into whats what.
I'm still laughing at the range rover quote pmsl brilliant.

I'm just going to go for it, if its not right nothing saying I can't try something else.
Fingers crossed it all pans out

Thank you for your post, you really made me smile lol
Old May 31st 2011, 3:46 pm
In Estepona

onlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond reputeonlineamiga has a reputation beyond repute

lol I would never be able to drive such a big car, I have all on with a Ford Ka. I hate driving to be honest, I am an angry driver, of course its others drivers at fault not me I don't have any kids either, but I could 'borrow' some just to blend in ha ha (good tip)
The isolation thing is a worry, but I suppose at 30 I should be big enough to do something about it. I'm sure I'll be ok at first what with finding a job, my way around finding somewhere to live... but after that, when life resumes I will have look into whats what.
I'm still laughing at the range rover quote pmsl brilliant.

I'm just going to go for it, if its not right nothing saying I can't try something else.
Fingers crossed it all pans out

Thank you for your post, you really made me smile lol

No worries, I'm around gib a lot as I work there. So if you need anything just give me a shout!
Old Jun 2nd 2011, 4:55 pm
Just Joined

Talking Re: Sorry in advance.. I'm sure this topic has been disscused to death. Gibraltar liv

Originally Posted by onlineamiga
No worries, I'm around gib a lot as I work there. So if you need anything just give me a shout!
Thank you so much, you may live to regret that offer lol
I will do, hopefully I will be over in the next 8mths... just trying to sell my house.... pain in the butt job, but has to be done
cheers
Zeldazebs