Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

solar panels [for hot water]

solar panels [for hot water]

Old Dec 27th 2011, 7:15 am
thinking about it

peterni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default solar panels [for hot water]

trying to use our water deposito as a thermal store for winter energy using a solar panel [water, not PV]. Need some idea of real output from flat plate panels, eg output temperature and what does it drop to in the 'winter'
for the more techy : it is 9.2m3 plus 200mm of concrete wall in a cylinder. if temp gets to 80 deg in the tank it will hold 1000+Kw of energy but will have losses to the surrounding soil. can i get it to 80?
we are on east coast of almeria with 322 sunny days per year (average) so will i have enough winter heat to run a modest UFH (under floor heating) @ 35deg plus hot water for two occupants in a well insulated casa.
trying to avoid needing a water to water heat pump [WWHP].
look forward to the replies
Old Dec 27th 2011, 9:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

angiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond reputeangiescarr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: solar panels [for hot water]

Hi. forgive me if I'm missing something..But won't you just be heating the surrounding campo and the local water table? Or is it thoroughly insulated top, sides and bottom... I mean thoroughly!!?
It irks me on a day like today with nice hot sun that none of that lovely heat is flowing under my feet. We've only got the pipes in so far and no accumulator tank. But, with an accumulator I reckon most days you'd get enough solar water heating into an underfloor wet system. The rest....chuck another log on the fire;-)
Old Dec 30th 2011, 8:19 pm
thinking about it

peterni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: solar panels [for hot water]

Originally Posted by angiescarr
Hi. forgive me if I'm missing something..But won't you just be heating the surrounding campo and the local water table? Or is it thoroughly insulated top, sides and bottom... I mean thoroughly!!?
It irks me on a day like today with nice hot sun that none of that lovely heat is flowing under my feet. We've only got the pipes in so far and no accumulator tank. But, with an accumulator I reckon most days you'd get enough solar water heating into an underfloor wet system. The rest....chuck another log on the fire;-)
no, you are right on the ball. this thermal store is a bit of an experiment so i may have a definitive answer next winter.
there is no insulation [yet]. as thermal conductance thro concrete is pretty slow if i can produce enuogh solar hot water to compensate for the losses i could end up with enough stored eneregy to last the winter. solar is free (apart from capital cost) and lots of it here so not bothered about heating the ground unless it is too excessive to get my return. if i cannot reach the target storage then i will need a heatpump and that will extract from the lot; water, concrete and the ground.
what is you panel size to UFH area ratio? and your tank size
we have made the space for an accumulator tank but just trying to use a resource that came with the property.