Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Sociedad(s) in our area?

Sociedad(s) in our area?

Old Feb 26th 2018, 8:11 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sociedad(s) in our area?

Hi

I was watching TV yesterday and they said that on the Spanish mainland many towns and communities have what I think they called a 'sociedad' (sp).

Sounded fantastic for any 'foody' out there. I thought this subject merited being outside of the resto thread.

This is where people meet up and share in the regional cuisine in a homely environment.

Is anyone aware please, of any sociedads around us? If so please let us know how to get involved

Jon
Old Feb 26th 2018, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

jontxu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Sociedad(s) in our area?

Las Sociedades are typical from the Basque country in Northern Spain. Also called txoko in the Basque language. I think that there are not something common in Andalucia
many people think that Basque cuisine is the best in Spain

Regards
Old Feb 26th 2018, 8:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

EsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond reputeEsuriJohn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jontxu
Las Sociedades are typical from the Basque country in Northern Spain. Also called txoko in the Basque language. I think that there are not something common in Andalucia

Regards
There is something of this type on the way out Isla Canela just before the local police station and the court after the seaman’s union building. It is two floors and upstairs seems to be the outreach of the communidad and downstairs seems a general meeting place with coffee and cakes. There is also a cafe resto which has in the last couple of years been leased out and does a daily menu. The old boys play dominoes and cards and the ladies chat and watch soaps. It’s great!
Old Feb 27th 2018, 7:51 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Thanks for the feedback jontxu (txu = one of the Texas Universites? I've been there a lot!)

The BBC showed a Brit housebuyer in Lanzarote (or one of the islands) enjoying a wonderful looking meal in a Sociedad. They said the Sociedads are common on 'the mainland'.

Also cant get much further in Spain than there and the Basque country.

But I suppose that if there was one around about here I would have heard about it in the last 12 years+.

I will ask my local Spanish friends - its highly likely (and, perhaps, understandable if its a local secret, to stop hoards of Brits turning up! )

Jon
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:02 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by EsuriJohn
There is something of this type on the way out Isla Canela just before the local police station and the court after the seaman’s union building. It is two floors and upstairs seems to be the outreach of the communidad and downstairs seems a general meeting place with coffee and cakes. There is also a cafe resto which has in the last couple of years been leased out and does a daily menu. The old boys play dominoes and cards and the ladies chat and watch soaps. It’s great!
Hi John

Yes we've seen that. Always curious to enter and try it out.

Where we live in Brussels a couple of minutes walk away, is a place run buy the town hall. All local residents are welcome by producing their ID card for our commune. Each commune probably has one.

However it is really targeted for, perhaps, the 'less privileged' and we feel awkward going there. NOT for any problem of talking to the local people, but to be seen as 'taking advantage'. I am sure it is subsidised.

I had a feeling (don't know why) that this place was similar. But knowing you have gone there and its a nice slice of the local community - makes it very interesting.

Thanks for that - its on the list! However I wonder if it is a sociedad....

Jon

PS With the beast from the east / storm Emma hitting the UK.... I can say that whilst we have rain and grey skies forecast here for the next 10 days or so... its nowhere near freezing. After the Monday Club yesterday - I went to M-Gordo. Coming back at 10pm it was 14 degrees! I drove back with the windows open and the heating on and it was very refreshing. We actually went to bed with the French doors open!
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Hi

I was watching TV yesterday and they said that on the Spanish mainland many towns and communities have what I think they called a 'sociedad' (sp).

Sounded fantastic for any 'foody' out there. I thought this subject merited being outside of the resto thread.

This is where people meet up and share in the regional cuisine in a homely environment.

Is anyone aware please, of any sociedads around us? If so please let us know how to get involved

Jon
Hi Jon, we were invited to a similar thing, by some Spanish friends, when we lived in CE. It was run by a couple who live on a small holding on the edge of Ayamonte. They had turned the basement of their house into a small restaurant area with a bar and kitchen & served food they had produced. Rather than a business it was more about local produce & the social aspect of dining. We had jamon, cheese & bread when arrived followed by pork, liver, fried eggs, salad & potatoes. It was all absolutely delicious & we were there for several hours eating, drinking & playing silly games. I will say though, it was by invitation only, Bryony x

Last edited by MikeCol; Feb 27th 2018 at 8:21 am.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 8:32 am
BE Positive

Originally Posted by MikeCol
Hi Jon, we were invited to a similar thing, by some Spanish friends, when we lived in CE. It was run by a couple who live on a small holding on the edge of Ayamonte. They had turned the basement of their house into a small restaurant area with a bar and kitchen & served food they had produced. Rather than a business it was more about local produce & the social aspect of dining. We had jamon, cheese & bread when arrived followed by pork, liver, fried eggs, salad & potatoes. It was all absolutely delicious & we were there for several hours eating, drinking & playing silly games. I will say though, it was by invitation only, Bryony x
Wow - wonderful! I'm jealous, its exactly what I was looking for. Well done for getting invited!

We once spent a fun afternoon with the local hunters in a kiosko outside of town, with a mutual friend of ours Bryony. We were invited to a big post-hunt splash-out loads of nosh (and surely booze) for soe days later - but sadly we were leaving.

Would have loved to do it. 'Memories are made of this'

Jon

PS yours does sound more like the sociedad I saw on TV

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 27th 2018 at 8:38 am.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of lightMikeCol is a glorious beacon of light

Wow - wonderful! I'm jealous, its exactly what I was looking for. Well done for getting invited!

We once spent a fun afternoon with the local hunters in a kiosko outside of town, with a mutual friend of ours Bryony. We were invited to a big post-hunt splash-out loads of nosh (and surely booze) for soe days later - but sadly we were leaving.

Jon

Hi Jon, sorry I can't be more helpful but maybe someone in your circle of Spanish friends may know it. I do keep an eye on the weather forecast for Ayamonte & noticed you have several days of rain and thunderstorms to come. We have a light dusting of snow this morning in Lincolnshire & it is very cold but snug and warm indoors. Keep dry xx
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:50 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat095 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've got to laugh. if you changed a few words in the admirable description above it would serve as a description for Madrid's Cannabis Sociedad's
They too are all about being invited to become a member and tasting local delicacies etc. :-)
Old Feb 27th 2018, 9:57 am
BE Positive

Hi Jon, sorry I can't be more helpful but maybe someone in your circle of Spanish friends may know it. I do keep an eye on the weather forecast for Ayamonte & noticed you have several days of rain and thunderstorms to come. We have a light dusting of snow this morning in Lincolnshire & it is very cold but snug and warm indoors. Keep dry xx
No problems thanks for sharing. I am not surprised, as mentioned, if these are by invitation only.

Hope the bad weather misses you and your supermarkets have stock.The headlines were interesting this morning.

Thanks & I promise to keep dry (on the outside )
Jon
Old Feb 27th 2018, 10:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond reputeMikeJ has a reputation beyond repute

Jon

Hi Jon

Looks like you've already cracked it: a quick google comes up with "Sociedad De Cazadores De Ayamonte" ie the Society of Hunters!

Get in there
Old Feb 27th 2018, 11:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Teed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant futureTeed Up has a brilliant future

Hi John

Yes we've seen that. Always curious to enter and try it out.

Where we live in Brussels a couple of minutes walk away, is a place run buy the town hall. All local residents are welcome by producing their ID card for our commune. Each commune probably has one.

However it is really targeted for, perhaps, the 'less privileged' and we feel awkward going there. NOT for any problem of talking to the local people, but to be seen as 'taking advantage'. I am sure it is subsidised.

I had a feeling (don't know why) that this place was similar. But knowing you have gone there and its a nice slice of the local community - makes it very interesting.

Thanks for that - its on the list! However I wonder if it is a sociedad....

Jon

PS With the beast from the east / storm Emma hitting the UK.... I can say that whilst we have rain and grey skies forecast here for the next 10 days or so... its nowhere near freezing. After the Monday Club yesterday - I went to M-Gordo. Coming back at 10pm it was 14 degrees! I drove back with the windows open and the heating on and it was very refreshing. We actually went to bed with the French doors open!
Hi Jon,

Good to see your back at Esuri, its been a while,
Something didn't seem right,you at the Monday club then going to Monte Gordo??, I've never seen you leave in a straight line,, then i remembered John saying you were dry in Febuary?.
catch up soon

Ken.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Margaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really niceMargaret and Derek is just really nice

We also remember that well, it was a fabulous afternoon, I seem to remember you had to be a card holder or as you say by invitation only. When we asked about getting a membership card they just gave a wry smile and shook their head. Very much a closed shop methinks, but as Jon says an experience we shall never forget.
Old Feb 27th 2018, 2:00 pm
BE Positive

Originally Posted by Teed Up
Hi Jon,

Good to see your back at Esuri, its been a while,
Something didn't seem right,you at the Monday club then going to Monte Gordo??, I've never seen you leave in a straight line,, then i remembered John saying you were dry in Febuary?.
catch up soon

Ken.
Hi Ken...
Alls well here. Yes one day to go on 'dry Feb'. I couldn't do the UK 'dry Jan'- Well after all theres no longer month than Jan .... And it's not a leap year... Ergo Dry Feb ( 'stands to reason...dunnit!!' )

See you soon!
Jon

Last edited by Jon-Bxl; Feb 27th 2018 at 2:17 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2018, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

JeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond reputeJeanMichel has a reputation beyond repute

Regards
Totally agree with you Jontxu.
The Spanish Basque cuisine is generally recognized as one of the best in the world!..
I am from Iparralde ( French part for those who don´t know).
Regards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.