British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Spain (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/)
-   -   Social Security payments on UK pension (https://britishexpats.com/forum/spain-75/social-security-payments-uk-pension-903987/)

Ceejay1566 Sep 29th 2017 12:59 pm

Social Security payments on UK pension

Hi - this is my first post in the form of a question as i am looking to take early retirement in spain next year with a private pension.
Would i have to pay Spanish Social Security payments on my uk pension?
Thanks
Chris

Fred James Sep 29th 2017 1:05 pm

Re: Social Security payments on UK pension

No, but you will have to pay Spanish income tax.

Ceejay1566 Sep 29th 2017 1:14 pm

Always happy to pay my taxes - especially in the sunshine. I intend to relocate mid July 18 so first tax return will be required as of mid 2020. Until then i continue to pay tax in the Uk and then pay in Spain for CY19 and claim refund from the UK - if my reading is correct?

Fred James Sep 29th 2017 1:39 pm

It would normally be the other way round. You reclaim the UK tax on your Spanish tax declaration.

Once you have completed your first declaration who should be able to apply for a certificate of Spanish tax residency. If you submit that to HMRC they should allow your pension to be paid gross in the UK so no further complications with paying twice and having to reclaim. There used to be a special HMRC form FD9 which could speed up the process, but sadly that process no longer seems to be used in Spain.

Ceejay1566 Sep 29th 2017 1:50 pm

Great - thank you
Looking forward to a new life in the sun

Rosemary Sep 29th 2017 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ceejay1566 (Post 12349796)
Hi - this is my first post in the form of a question as i am looking to take early retirement in spain next year with a private pension.
Would i have to pay Spanish Social Security payments on my uk pension?
Thanks
Chris

Hi and a warm welcome to the Spanish forum on BE. Myself and Fred James are the moderators for the Spanish forums whilst BEVS moderates Europe. Moderators are there to ensure that the site runs smoothly within the rules of BE. This is so that members gain the information that they are looking for and find their experiences on the forums to be friendly and worthwhile.

Problems and complaints should always be addressed to a moderator who will look into the matter and deal with it efficiently and fairly. Our members who post in the Spain Forums are usually friendly and helpful with a wealth of knowledge about the issues of living in Spain. I hope that you enjoy your time participating in the forums.

Please let me know if you need any further help.

Rosemary