Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

Social Security Number Benefits???

Social Security Number Benefits???

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:28 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: costa de la luz
Posts: 19
lcr04 is on a distinguished road
Default Social Security Number Benefits???

Hi,

I have just received my Social Security Number, does anyone know if there are any benefits that can be claimed?
lcr04 is offline  
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 2:53 pm
  #2  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

I know that once you have been working for 180 days you are entitled to sick pay once you have visited the NHS (equivelant) doctor. Cheaper meds things like that for one.
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:36 am
  #3  
Forum Regular
 
GEEGEEGIRL's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Chiclana
Posts: 34
GEEGEEGIRL is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Hello, Can you help? I have just done my "certificado de empadronamiento" and now have to get a doctor. Do I have to get my ss number before this and does this mean I have to first apply for residencia. I'm confused: Pardon the ignorance..
GEEGEEGIRL is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:50 am
  #4  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 34
frankcoleman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by GEEGEEGIRL View Post
Hello, Can you help? I have just done my "certificado de empadronamiento" and now have to get a doctor. Do I have to get my ss number before this and does this mean I have to first apply for residencia. I'm confused: Pardon the ignorance..
Hi there

Not a problem I didn't understand it when I had to do it either. Throught what I remember when you do the certificado de empadronamiento you can call up and get the Social Security number straight away. I had problems with my back when I first arrived and needed to get medication very quickly and the Social Security card came through very quickly.

I have to admit I went to a Gestoria and paid 30€ and they sorted everything very quickly for me. They are very good and have an insider knowledge of how things work so is well worth it for the advice and making sure you get the right forms filled out straight away.

I hope this helps?
frankcoleman is offline  
Old Jan 24th 2007, 2:14 pm
  #5  
Senior Moment
 
Mitzyboy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: On the edge
Posts: 20,460
Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by GEEGEEGIRL View Post
Hello, Can you help? I have just done my "certificado de empadronamiento" and now have to get a doctor. Do I have to get my ss number before this and does this mean I have to first apply for residencia. I'm confused: Pardon the ignorance..

OK you now take your UK documentation, whatever you got from the UK, to the local Dept of Social Seguridad along with your NIE & padron where they will issue you with a document confirming you are able to use the state system for healtcare. You then take this to your local health centre to register and I am told you will get your card in due course after that. You don't need a residence card to do this.
Mitzyboy is offline  
Old Jan 25th 2007, 4:30 pm
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 31
chrisd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by GEEGEEGIRL View Post
Hello, Can you help? I have just done my "certificado de empadronamiento" and now have to get a doctor. Do I have to get my ss number before this and does this mean I have to first apply for residencia. I'm confused: Pardon the ignorance..
Think it depends on where you apply. I did an application for retired people in Marbella about two months ago and we had to go for the application for their residencia and present it at the office along with the other docs before they would accept it. Yes, it isn´t a legal requirement according to EU law but try and tell them that.
chrisd is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:20 pm
  #7  
Concierge
 
mikelincs's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: ex ex-pat, in Taunton
Posts: 26,032
mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by Mitzyboy View Post
OK you now take your UK documentation, whatever you got from the UK, to the local Dept of Social Seguridad along with your NIE & padron where they will issue you with a document confirming you are able to use the state system for healtcare. You then take this to your local health centre to register and I am told you will get your card in due course after that. You don't need a residence card to do this.
You usually get a 'temporary SIP card' given there and then, which means you can get an appointment straight away, then, within about 3 months, you get a plastic credit card type.
mikelincs is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:21 pm
  #8  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 31
chrisd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by mikelincs View Post
You usually get a 'temporary SIP card' given there and then, which means you can get an appointment straight away, then, within about 3 months, you get a plastic credit card type.
Well, in Marbella, no temporary card is issued and they informed us on our last visit that they do not issue the plastic card either, at least, to pensioners from UK. I am going to the Health centre with the clients next week so I´ll ask there as well. They did give me the Social Security numbers they have been allocated. By the way, we´ve had no trouble signing up at the health centre or getting appointments.
chrisd is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:40 pm
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
 
leighbloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sunny Manchester
Posts: 3,831
leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by lcr04 View Post
Hi,

I have just received my Social Security Number, does anyone know if there are any benefits that can be claimed?
Why what's wrong with you? I imagine it will allow you access to the taxation system so you can ensure you contribute to the ongoing investment required in your new country to ensure services and infrastructure are put in place for the future generations of Spaniards and expats.

Sorry if you are, a penniless refugee from the UK fleeing the oppressive military regime, death threats from the secret police, and living on the streets in Spain.

- but I read "I'm wondering how I can continue sponging from the state now I've moved to Spain"
leighbloke is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:20 pm
  #10  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: costa de la luz
Posts: 19
lcr04 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by leighbloke View Post
Why what's wrong with you? I imagine it will allow you access to the taxation system so you can ensure you contribute to the ongoing investment required in your new country to ensure services and infrastructure are put in place for the future generations of Spaniards and expats.

Sorry if you are, a penniless refugee from the UK fleeing the oppressive military regime, death threats from the secret police, and living on the streets in Spain.

- but I read "I'm wondering how I can continue sponging from the state now I've moved to Spain"
This site is called british expats, please search on google for sad people with nothing better to do site - and kindly join that one.
lcr04 is offline  
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:43 pm
  #11  
BE Forum Addict
 
leighbloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sunny Manchester
Posts: 3,831
leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by lcr04 View Post
This site is called british expats, please search on google for sad people with nothing better to do site - and kindly join that one.
I am aware of many other options for killing time on a cold annual leave day off work. But enjoy reading the subjects discussed here, and am learning for the future when I may be in a position to use some of it.
So please, assist in my education and tell me why you feel you should receive any benefits from your adopted country.
I am also interested in how someone requiring benefit can afford to emigrate?
If I have got the wrong end of the stick, explain in what way, and I'll apologise unreservedly for my comments, I read what I read and wrote an honest response, reflecting my own personal opinions. On this or any other forum I can do no more.
Thanks
LB
leighbloke is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2007, 6:43 am
  #12  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by leighbloke View Post
I am aware of many other options for killing time on a cold annual leave day off work. But enjoy reading the subjects discussed here, and am learning for the future when I may be in a position to use some of it.
So please, assist in my education and tell me why you feel you should receive any benefits from your adopted country.
I am also interested in how someone requiring benefit can afford to emigrate?
If I have got the wrong end of the stick, explain in what way, and I'll apologise unreservedly for my comments, I read what I read and wrote an honest response, reflecting my own personal opinions. On this or any other forum I can do no more.
Thanks
LB
I personally assumed this was a speculative question and the OP just wanted to know if they would be entitled to any benefits, not that they have come here to claim them.

As to how someone on benefits can afford to emigrate: There are one or two benefits you can continue to claim from the UK when you move to an EU country, Incapacity Benefit is one of them, this does not take savings or capital into account and providing you are deemed sick/disabled enough to be unable to work, it doesn't matter where you live.

Be aware that IB depends on having paid enough National Insurance Contributions so a person in receipt of it HAS paid into the system and has now fallen ill or become disabled.

However, I do not want to get int o Benefit bashing, most people are honest and would not dream of trying to claim fraudulently, either in Spain or elsewhere.

I should keep your nasty innuenedos to yorself.
scampicat is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2007, 1:53 pm
  #13  
BE Forum Addict
 
leighbloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sunny Manchester
Posts: 3,831
leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
I personally assumed this was a speculative question and the OP just wanted to know if they would be entitled to any benefits, not that they have come here to claim them.

As to how someone on benefits can afford to emigrate: There are one or two benefits you can continue to claim from the UK when you move to an EU country, Incapacity Benefit is one of them, this does not take savings or capital into account and providing you are deemed sick/disabled enough to be unable to work, it doesn't matter where you live.

Be aware that IB depends on having paid enough National Insurance Contributions so a person in receipt of it HAS paid into the system and has now fallen ill or become disabled.

However, I do not want to get int o Benefit bashing, most people are honest and would not dream of trying to claim fraudulently, either in Spain or elsewhere.

I should keep your nasty innuenedos to yorself.
Thanks for that, though I am really struggling to find anything you say that addresses correctly any of my issues.

It's the speculative nature of the enquiry that got my back up. If the OP had come on and said " I have had a recent injury and am unable to work, is there any way I can get state support in these desperate times" or another specific, I would have had no issue at all.

I thought you only needed to have the necessary "stamps" to claim IB, and as these are available by "signing on" you need never to have contributed? - but I've never claimed anything so maybe wrong.

You should get into benefit bashing, far too many people consider it their right to have everything provided for them and refuse to give anything back to society. If these people were removed from the system and had to contribute, those truly in need would be able to be supported to the extent they deserve.

I hoped I had stated my case more forcibly than could be construed as innuendo, maybe in future I should not beat about the bush as much.

Cheers
LB
leighbloke is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:01 pm
  #14  
Ex Expat
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: West Midlands, ex Granada province
Posts: 2,140
scampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond reputescampicat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

I have never claimed any benefits either - I am lucky enough not to have been long term sick or unemployed.

However, I have no income at all since I came to Spain, we live on my husband's Teachers Pension as neither of us are old enough for State Pension.

I personally do not think many people would chose a life on benefits, Jobseekers allowance is only £110 a fortnight, not exactly enough for a life of luxury. To get the health-related benefits you have to jump through many hoops and have to go through quite intrusive medical examinations.

Yes, we all know 'Benefit Cheats' and I too think they should be stamped on like a ton of bricks as they are depriving genuine claimants who get tarred with the same brush.

But I don't believe the majority of people are cheats and I think the OP was merely asking a question.

Last edited by scampicat; Jan 27th 2007 at 4:03 pm.
scampicat is offline  
Old Jan 27th 2007, 4:38 pm
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
leighbloke's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Sunny Manchester
Posts: 3,831
leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Social Security Number Benefits???

Originally Posted by scampicat View Post
I have never claimed any benefits either - I am lucky enough not to have been long term sick or unemployed.

However, I have no income at all since I came to Spain, we live on my husband's Teachers Pension as neither of us are old enough for State Pension.

I personally do not think many people would chose a life on benefits, Jobseekers allowance is only £110 a fortnight, not exactly enough for a life of luxury. To get the health-related benefits you have to jump through many hoops and have to go through quite intrusive medical examinations.

Yes, we all know 'Benefit Cheats' and I too think they should be stamped on like a ton of bricks as they are depriving genuine claimants who get tarred with the same brush.

But I don't believe the majority of people are cheats and I think the OP was merely asking a question.

Maybe I have taken lcr04s question the wrong way but she seems unwilling to put me right, instead merely telling me to butt out.

I agree with your comments re: the level of income available on benefits, it makes me wonder how so many of them spend every night in the pub/club drinking and smoking, and manage to run a car and take foreign holiday.

I'm afraid that maybe my view on the majority of claiments maybe tarred by the few though - I guess over time I have seen too many of the latter.

But thanks for at least considering my POV.
LB
leighbloke is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.