Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SNP pledges to protect triple lock for UK expats in EU post-Brexit

SNP pledges to protect triple lock for UK expats in EU post-Brexit

Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:10 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SNP pledges to protect triple lock for UK expats in EU post-Brexit

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Really? So somebody that left the UK decades ago and has been paying just NI should get the same as somebody that's lived there for the same time but been paying NI on their earnings at 12%, plus another 20% or more on income tax, plus paying tax via the various other ways (VAT etc) too?! The difference paid in to the UK system between an expat and a UK resident could be hundreds of thousands of pounds over the years.

I really can't see how that's fair tbh, .....
But that's how it works, rightly or wrongly. ...... And is why I currently expect to retire with a "full" UK state pension and "full" (not reduced by "WEP", as many mid-career immigrants to the US experience) US Social Security because I will have made enough years of contributions into US Social Security years before I retire.

On the flip side, the cost of voluntary NICs is so low that I see them more as an insurance policy - if they make the pension means-tested and I retire poor I'll be glad I have the state pension, and if I retire wealthy then I won't care much if they don't pay me a UK state pension.
Old Nov 30th 2016, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

Really? So somebody that left the UK decades ago and has been paying just NI should get the same as somebody that's lived there for the same time but been paying NI on their earnings at 12%, plus another 20% or more on income tax, plus paying tax via the various other ways (VAT etc) too?! The difference paid in to the UK system between an expat and a UK resident could be hundreds of thousands of pounds over the years.

I really can't see how that's fair tbh, as a UK taxpayer I don't see why I should subsidise those that have chosen to leave the UK and live elsewhere.

An interesting debate for sure, but that's JMO.
If someone is retired even if not state pension age then unless they work they do not pay NI, to pay NI you must be working (other than voluntary contributions to say make up a shortfall). So whether one retired abroad or uk they do not pay NI. I retired aged 58 am uk resident splitting my time legally between uk and Spain. I have not paid NI since retiring I get full NHS care and have over 40 years NI contributions so sufficient to entitle me to state pension when I get to required age, so difference had I become an expat on retiring? Contrbutions for pension are NI related not tax related.

Last edited by bobd22; Nov 30th 2016 at 7:00 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 8:49 am
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

I really can't see how that's fair tbh, as a UK taxpayer I don't see why I should subsidise those that have chosen to leave the UK and live elsewhere.

An interesting debate for sure, but that's JMO.
You miss the point by a country mile - state pensions in the UK are based on the years NI that you have paid in. So for instance if you paid into the fund for 10Yrs you will get 10/30ths or under the NSP 10/35ths of a state pension. If however you stayed in the UK and paid in for 30 or 35 years you would get a full state pension - less contracted out % if applicable.

Is that clear enough for you?
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

bobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond reputebobd22 has a reputation beyond repute

I really can't see how that's fair tbh, as a UK taxpayer I don't see why I should subsidise those that have chosen to leave the UK and live elsewhere. .
Maybe because most of those that have retired to say Spain have paid full NI and income tax etc for a working life while in the uk? I
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:03 am
BE Forum Addict

johnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond reputejohnnyone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest
You miss the point by a country mile - state pensions in the UK are based on the years NI that you have paid in. So for instance if you paid into the fund for 10Yrs you will get 10/30ths or under the NSP 10/35ths of a state pension. If however you stayed in the UK and paid in for 30 or 35 years you would get a full state pension - less contracted out % if applicable.

You only get the full NSP if you were never contracted out.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:19 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hornets_Nest

No need to be rude about it, I thought this was supposed to be an 'interesting debate'? You can debate without getting aggressive surely? I understand fully thank you, I just have a different point of view to you, and that's not a bad thing.

A full state pension can also have been obtained by expats paying Class 2 contributions, which is a tiny amount compared to that paid by most of those working and living in the U.K.

Originally Posted by bobd22
Maybe because most of those that have retired to say Spain have paid full NI and income tax etc for a working life while in the uk? I
And what about those that left the UK aged 20, and haven't lived there for decades and only paid Class 2? Spain is probably a slightly different argument as most that move there would be retired, but that's not the case for a lot of other countries.

As above, this is JMO! Perhaps it should be done based on how many years expats have actually paid full NI in the UK, and pro-rated accordingly.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 11:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So what about the people in uk that could have worked but never did and had their contributions paid by the state they have not actually contributed a jot of their income have they? But they get full pension care etc. We could all come up with circumstances where someone gets what some consider favourable treatment . At the end of the day if someone has paid full NI contributions etc why should they not get what they paid for irrespective of where they live?
Old Dec 1st 2016, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hornets_Nest will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by bobd22
So what about the people in uk that could have worked but never did and had their contributions paid by the state they have not actually contributed a jot of their income have they? But they get full pension care etc. We could all come up with circumstances where someone gets what some consider favourable treatment . At the end of the day if someone has paid full NI contributions etc why should they not get what they paid for irrespective of where they live?
Couldn't agree more.

No need to be rude about it
That was me being polite
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

KieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond reputeKieronF has a reputation beyond repute

The SNP has always been very generous with other people's money.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

formula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond reputeformula has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
They could follow Labour's example and promise a free owl for every man, woman and child in the land - it's irrelevant as it's mathematically impossible for them to ever form a government in Westminster. Should they ever rule an independent Scotland the austerity needed to make up the shortfall in tax receipts will make Greece resemble a Gulf state.

And then some

10 billion financial black hole in 2014.
Independence Day: Scotland would have faced ‘£10bn black hole’ - The Scotsman

and getting worse.

24 August 2016
Scotland’s public spending deficit has reached almost £15 billion, making it proportionately more than twice the size of the UK figure.

Official data released on Wednesday shows that Scotland is in the red to the tune of 9.5 per cent of its GDP, compared to four per cent for the UK as a whole. The figure is understood to be the highest in the EU, after Greece at 7.2 per cent of GDP and Spain at 5.1 per cent.
Scotland's huge deficit 'blows £15bn hole in case for independence'

Last edited by formula; Dec 1st 2016 at 1:52 pm.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 1:51 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KieronF
The SNP has always been very generous with other people's money.
Particularly as they will never be in a position to apply it throughout the UK.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 6:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by formula
And then some

and getting worse.

24 August 2016
Scotland’s public spending deficit has reached almost £15 billion, making it proportionately more than twice the size of the UK figure.

Official data released on Wednesday shows that Scotland is in the red to the tune of 9.5 per cent of its GDP, compared to four per cent for the UK as a whole. The figure is understood to be the highest in the EU, after Greece at 7.2 per cent of GDP and Spain at 5.1 per cent.
No doubt when the wheel comes off it will be no doubt somenow down to England's fault for letting them do as they please and Westminster will sort it out for them at the cost of English tax payer.
Old Dec 1st 2016, 9:20 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by formula
And then some

and getting worse.

24 August 2016

And they think they can leave the UK and join the EU as an independence Scotland! Like the EU needs another basket case!
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 10:33 am
BE Positive

Jon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond reputeJon-Bxl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
And they think they can leave the UK and join the EU as an independence Scotland! Like the EU needs another basket case!
Nicola Sturgeon feels the brexit vote & Scotlands desire to remain are 'material circumstances' to call a second referendum.

I recall before the first Scottish referendum, Scotland knew that there was likely to be a UK Brexit referendum. It was certainly 'on the cards'. Scottish independence was also tied to EU membership.One of the EU presidents, Barosso on the Andrew Marr show said it was highly unlikely that an independent Scotland would be accepted (needing a 100% support of all members).

So the Scots knew that voting pro UK would also mean a potential UK wide referendum that they would be a part of. So they knew that there was potentially a second, brexit, referendum coming. They had no assurances that EU membership was a done-deal.

I think we should therefore 'be in it together'

OK we are dealing with politicians here, passionate and capable, so a second Scottish referendum may happen.

I think its hypocritical to say one one hand, that Scotland wants to know our Brexit negotiations up front. So that they know what the plan is. On the other hand she can't go to a referendum, IMO, without a plan for the people to vote on.

I therefore feel she should call the referendum, based on the material change of the brexit vote, ONLY if she can come to the electorate with a written guarantee that the EU will accept them if they vote out.... And on what terms e.g taking the Euro and what the financial arrangements would be for them of membership.

Using remain as her trigger requires her to bring guarantees to her people of Scotland remain-ing in the EU.

With these debt figures, they could qualify as a net 'taker' of money. But would the members vote for that, unanimously, knowing there was a cost.... Especially when they know they will lose our (Uk) huge payment around 2019???

Jon
Old Dec 3rd 2016, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by Jon-Bxl
Nicola Sturgeon feels the brexit vote & Scotlands desire to remain are 'material circumstances' to call a second referendum.

I recall before the first Scottish referendum, Scotland knew that there was likely to be a UK Brexit referendum. It was certainly 'on the cards'. Scottish independence was also tied to EU membership.One of the EU presidents, Barosso on the Andrew Marr show said it was highly unlikely that an independent Scotland would be accepted (needing a 100% support of all members).

So the Scots knew that voting pro UK would also mean a potential UK wide referendum that they would be a part of. So they knew that there was potentially a second, brexit, referendum coming. They had no assurances that EU membership was a done-deal.

I think we should therefore 'be in it together'

OK we are dealing with politicians here, passionate and capable, so a second Scottish referendum may happen.

I think its hypocritical to say one one hand, that Scotland wants to know our Brexit negotiations up front. So that they know what the plan is. On the other hand she can't go to a referendum, IMO, without a plan for the people to vote on.

I therefore feel she should call the referendum, based on the material change of the brexit vote, ONLY if she can come to the electorate with a written guarantee that the EU will accept them if they vote out.... And on what terms e.g taking the Euro and what the financial arrangements would be for them of membership.

Using remain as her trigger requires her to bring guarantees to her people of Scotland remain-ing in the EU.

With these debt figures, they could qualify as a net 'taker' of money. But would the members vote for that, unanimously, knowing there was a cost.... Especially when they know they will lose our (Uk) huge payment around 2019???

Jon
Spain would vote no to an independent Scotland under any and every circumstance because of their own Basque issue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.