SMTP woes

Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:07 am
Just Joined

ian_mijas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SMTP woes

Hi all

I've browsed and searched, etc for hours but still having major problems getting SMTP working through Telechronica and hoping some kind soul can give me a free clue or two.

I have a domain (SNIP)hosted in the UK. If send mail via smtp.mydomain.com *some* of the posts get bounced with a 550 - relaying not allowed. Ok, so I need to switch my smtp to Telechronica. Now the fun starts.

The line is a fairly new one. I contacted 1004 and they gave me the username and password that they should have sent me when the line was installed. I can log in through telefonicaonline.es and get to the account. But how I proceed from here is a mystery.

I want to set up the mail account (SNIP) but cannot see how to do it. I've found all sorts of info online but a lot of it is out of date as Telechronica seem to have changed their web interface in the last five years.

All free clues gratefully received.

TIA

Cheers

Ian

Last edited by Mitzyboy; Sep 29th 2009 at 10:49 am. Reason: domain and email removed to avoid spamming
Old Sep 29th 2009, 3:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really niceThe Pope is just really nice
Default Re: SMTP woes

Originally Posted by ian_mijas
Hi all

I've browsed and searched, etc for hours but still having major problems getting SMTP working through Telechronica and hoping some kind soul can give me a free clue or two.

I have a domain (SNIP)hosted in the UK. If send mail via smtp.mydomain.com *some* of the posts get bounced with a 550 - relaying not allowed. Ok, so I need to switch my smtp to Telechronica. Now the fun starts.

The line is a fairly new one. I contacted 1004 and they gave me the username and password that they should have sent me when the line was installed. I can log in through telefonicaonline.es and get to the account. But how I proceed from here is a mystery.

I want to set up the mail account (SNIP) but cannot see how to do it. I've found all sorts of info online but a lot of it is out of date as Telechronica seem to have changed their web interface in the last five years.

All free clues gratefully received.

TIA

Cheers

Ian
I use outlook , goto
"Tools"
"Email Accounts"
"View or change"
Select your account and the change

Hi i have a POP email account. So i send via auth.smtp.(host).co.uk and receive by pop.(host).co.uk

should give you options to change incoming and out going server and set them as i have above.

You will then need you username and password from your hosting company.

I hope that helps... but I dont have any telefonica usernames and password stored anyway except for connection to internet, that will not affect your email.....

I hope that helps,if not someone will be along soon who a) is more technical and b) can explain better than me
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Pope

Hi i have a POP email account. So i send via auth.smtp.(host).co.uk and receive by pop.(host).co.uk
Hi

Many thanks for the reply. I can do exactly that. My problem is that when I do, *some* receiving hosts bounce the mail because they see it having been relayed - like my business partner in the UK! Those machines see the mail as having originated through Telechronica and then going via my UK host. Not a good situation. I can send to myself, or anyone else for that matter, at Hotmail, but not to fsmail, and a lot of other places.

To send to those hosts who bounce relaying, I need to either configure my email client to use Telechronica or to install my own SMTP server. I tried a couple of freebie versions of the latter and had a marked lack of success. As for Telechronica. Even if it wasn't all in Spanish, I'd still describe it as, minimally, 'opaque'. I'd rather spend the day reading a VAX manual in Serbo-Croat.

It's certainly a bigger mystery than I can get my head around and I was hoping that there would be a guru in here somewhere. I can't be the only person to have come across this before. There's posts on the Internet going back to 2003 on this issue, but none of them tell me what I need to know.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

rachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond reputerachelk has a reputation beyond repute

Does this help at all?
https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...kbarticleid=22

I know from experience that changing from port 25 to 587 can work wonders.

Last edited by rachelk; Sep 29th 2009 at 4:26 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

Hi
To send to those hosts who bounce relaying, I need to either configure my email client to use Telechronica
Maybe I am missing something. Why are you having a problem doing this? All you need to do is to get the smtp server address from your ISP and update Outlook with that information. Why are you still using your UK based smtp? The username and password from your ISP is not enough, ask them specifically for the smtp server address.

Alternatively, till you get it sorted out, you can use the web based interface of your domain to send and receive emails without messing around with the smtp settings. What hosting company are you using? Go to the control panel of your website and use email clients provided by them to send your mail.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by rachelk
Does this help at all?
https://support.3dcart.com/index.php...kbarticleid=22

I know from experience that changing from port 25 to 587 can work wonders.
Hi Rachel

Yes, I've tried that. Didn't work here. It's what I have in the boxes that's wrong, I think. The values for username, email addy, etc, etc.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Maybe I am missing something. Why are you having a problem doing this? All you need to do is to get the smtp server address from your ISP and update Outlook with that information. Why are you still using your UK based smtp? The username and password from your ISP is not enough, ask them specifically for the smtp server address.
The 'ISP' is Telechronica. Or I assume that is what you are referring to. I *was* trying to use UK-based SMTP because it came with the package and was highly convenient. pop3.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com was kinda easy to do. As I described before, unfortunately, it led to relay problems with *some* recipients. I am not trying to use UK-based SMTP. I am *trying* to use Telechronica's SMTP.

Alternatively, till you get it sorted out, you can use the web based interface of your domain to send and receive emails without messing around with the smtp settings. What hosting company are you using? Go to the control panel of your website and use email clients provided by them to send your mail.
Yes, I know that. I just find it a *lot* easier to organise myself (I will be dealing with clients' requests involving money) to have their mail (in and out) on my machine. Eventually, there will be mailbox limits that I will hit, and I don't want that to happen. If everything is on my machine I can deal with it from here, organise it from here (how I want), and archive it from here. I will happily agree with you that there's not a lot of difference these days between using one's host and keeping it local, so just put me down as a computer dinosaur. I *like* the old ways

Anyway, I don't see why I *shouldn't* *easily* be able to connect through Telechronica's SMTP. If I can't do it (I've almost 30 years' experience with computers and have been a freelance programmer for over 15 - I've *written* SMTP servers! ), what chance does your average newbie stand? Others will do the same searches that I did, and this will be archived. Hopefully with a solution of some sort.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 29th 2009, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

bob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond reputebob_day has a reputation beyond repute

Depending where you are in relation to the smtp server you are trying to use there are several options.

Connected to telefonica's network then normally the ISP's mail server will accept incoming smtp from hosts located within it's own IP network range. If this isn't the case then you may have to set your mail client to send authentication i.e username/password to the smtp server before it will accept your outgoing email. Normally this is the same username/password that you use to access your account with the ISP. Again normally this allows you to access their smtp server from any IP network. Note I don't use telefonica so can only speak generically.

An alternative is to subscribe to the likes of authsmtp.com and use their mail servers from any connection any where.

Assuming you have some kind of account with your UK ISP you should be able to authenticate and use their mail server from anywhere and any IP address. For example the ISP I use in Spain has a back haul through telefonica. But I use the mail server of 1and1 for sending email as I have a hosting contract with them amd I want email to appear to come from a UK network. Obviously I am not connected to their network while here in Spain, in fact 1and1 only provide hosting so they don't have a network that customers would be connected to by adsl. Up until recently I used US provider Verizon to send mail from wherever I was as I had an ADSL account with them servicing our villa in Florida and could use my ADSL username to authenticate myself.

The point here is if your provider offers authenticated access to their smtp servers, and you have an account it shouldn't matter which ISP you are actually connected to the internet with.

There will be options within your mail client that allow to to configure authentication before sending the mail message (smtp). In Thunderbird it's set in the outgoing server properties configuration.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 9:43 pm

Ka Ora! is an unknown quantity at this point

The 'ISP' is Telechronica. Or I assume that is what you are referring to. I *was* trying to use UK-based SMTP because it came with the package and was highly convenient. pop3.mydomain.com and smtp.mydomain.com was kinda easy to do. As I described before, unfortunately, it led to relay problems with *some* recipients. I am not trying to use UK-based SMTP. I am *trying* to use Telechronica's SMTP.

Yes, I know that. I just find it a *lot* easier to organise myself (I will be dealing with clients' requests involving money) to have their mail (in and out) on my machine. Eventually, there will be mailbox limits that I will hit, and I don't want that to happen. If everything is on my machine I can deal with it from here, organise it from here (how I want), and archive it from here. I will happily agree with you that there's not a lot of difference these days between using one's host and keeping it local, so just put me down as a computer dinosaur. I *like* the old ways

Anyway, I don't see why I *shouldn't* *easily* be able to connect through Telechronica's SMTP. If I can't do it (I've almost 30 years' experience with computers and have been a freelance programmer for over 15 - I've *written* SMTP servers! ), what chance does your average newbie stand? Others will do the same searches that I did, and this will be archived. Hopefully with a solution of some sort.

Cheers

Ian
Outgoing smtp.telefonica.net and Incoming pop3.telefonica.net Username and Password reqired for both servers, More help can be found on Telefonicas Web Site

If you go to Telefonicas web site on the last link, then type "correo" without the brakets in to the search box with the "BUSCAR" button next to it, Then press the Buscar button on the next page click the Activación y gestión del correo asociado a su ADSL link this will lead you to the configeration settings for Telefonica which are shown on the link Instrucciones para configurar el acceso a Internet Soporte Configuración Outlook I cannot get in to them as im not on Telefonicas network. From there it should be a breaze for someone who has written smtp software

Last edited by Ka Ora!; Sep 29th 2009 at 9:46 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2009, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

AdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to beholdAdrianTO is a splendid one to behold

I am not trying to use UK-based SMTP. I am *trying* to use Telechronica's SMTP.
Which smtp server are you using when you do this?
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Hi Bob

Originally Posted by bob_day

The point here is if your provider offers authenticated access to their smtp servers, and you have an account it shouldn't matter which ISP you are actually connected to the internet with.
Yes, that's what I thought. There's definitely *something* funny going on. I must have been more befuddled than usual yesterday. Of course fsmail aren't bouncing me, I'm not getting a bounce message, I'm getting a server rejection. Duh!

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Hi

Originally Posted by Ka Ora!
Outgoing smtp.telefonica.net and Incoming pop3.telefonica.net Username and Password reqired for both servers, More help can be found on Telefonicas Web Site

If you go to Telefonicas web site on the last link, then type "correo" without the brakets in to the search box with the "BUSCAR" button next to it, Then press the Buscar button on the next page click the Activación y gestión del correo asociado a su ADSL link this will lead you to the configeration settings for Telefonica which are shown on the link Instrucciones para configurar el acceso a Internet Soporte Configuración Outlook
Thanks very much. I saw all that lot when I was searching yesterday but it's handy to have a link in here. I went through the first couple of steps and got the chat-type window open. As it's not possible to copy & paste from there into Babelfish, I had to leave sorting out a translation until this morning when I had more time to type it all in, page by page.

I cannot get in to them as im not on Telefonicas network. From there it should be a breaze for someone who has written smtp software
[/QUOTE]

Yes, but I wrote it in C, not Spanish. If I'd had to write it in Spanish I'd still be doing it.

Thanks again for the link.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdrianTO
Which smtp server are you using when you do this?
smtp.telefonica.net. And I have tried several other things.

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 7:39 am
Just Joined

If you go to Telefonicas web site on the last link, then type "correo" without the brakets in to the search box with the "BUSCAR" button next to it, Then press the Buscar button on the next page click the Activación y gestión del correo asociado a su ADSL link this will lead you to the configeration settings for Telefonica which are shown on the link Instrucciones para configurar el acceso a Internet Soporte Configuración Outlook
From what my basic Spanish (with Babelfish assistance) gives me, this is for setting up an email account in the form of [email protected], not [email protected]. Maybe I'm missing something?

Cheers

Ian
Old Sep 30th 2009, 8:56 am

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

I've never had this problem using my own domain's SMTP server with a Telefonica ASDL connection. Maybe they like my server more than they like yours!

What you could try is setting up a Gmail account and put your actual (domain) email address as the reply address. Then just use the Gmail servers

I have a number of Gmail accounts sent via Telefonica's line and have had no problems with any mail bouncing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.