Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

: Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:42 am
jdr
RETIRED ;-))

jdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond reputejdr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: : Smoking ban 1-July-2007 !!! :

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Well you are part way there. Now all you need to do is make a couple of mates sit behind you, stick a small child between your legs who can peer over the handlebars and tuck a dog under one of your arms and you will fit right in here in Spain!
Or the mate holding a ladder on the back. lol
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:29 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I couldn't be happier, as a long time pub dweller, yes I know this will shock some of you, I have been breathing the deadly toxins that you smokers are protected from for years.

Today, my rights are being observed, and about time too, non smokers are in the majority, and isnt everyone already pissed that the minority rules? So looking at it that way I cant understand why people are so upset over it.

A happy day for me, a happy day for an already overstretched NHS and a happy day for the social smokers in life as they may now feel compelled to stop smoking.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

although I agree with the smoking ban, I do feel it is yet another way for the goverment to control you. I mean if they were sooooooooo concerned for the health of others there are plenty of other things they could be doing,
I worry this is just another example of stealth dictatorship. Watch out you lot, Blair may be gone but the puppet master (who ever he is ) is still there.

Alcohol. It is inappropriately used by the majority of users, can cause INSTANT DEATH to the innocent.

prepacked meals. filled with nasties your body cant digest............look at the rise in diebieties.

pollution. Not an attempt has been made to cut numbers on the road and really introduce car sharing and bikes. ( look at Scandinavia)

I could go on, education, health care. etc etc etc

The British government seem to keep its people in a constant state of paranoia. They tell you how many things are bad for you, and then make out they are taking care of you by trying to protect you from it.
What ever you think of smoking, it is yet another chip away at your civil liberties, THE BRITISH GOVERMENT IS UNIQUE. Democracy is a gift and not many countries have it. Dont let yours be taken away.

Please excuse me while I get off my soap box and go back to bed, its sunday morning and I was up toooooooo late last night!

love

mary xx
Old Jul 1st 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Miss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond reputeMiss Naughty has a reputation beyond repute

I dont care either way about the ban. However there seems to me a lot of people giving up (well done).

So my worrying question is what will they tax us on next, after all i do believe they will lose a lot of revenue when people decide to drop the habit.

When the greedy gordon brown decides to wack higher taxes, all the non smokers will be saying "its them fiflthy fag smokers that have caused this"

Apparently years ago (way before my time) the older generation always said big brother is watching you. They are now!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:11 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rugbymatt
I couldn't be happier, as a long time pub dweller, yes I know this will shock some of you, I have been breathing the deadly toxins that you smokers are protected from for years.

Today, my rights are being observed, and about time too, non smokers are in the majority, and isnt everyone already pissed that the minority rules? So looking at it that way I cant understand why people are so upset over it.

A happy day for me, a happy day for an already overstretched NHS and a happy day for the social smokers in life as they may now feel compelled to stop smoking.
Absolutely agree. I am so looking forward to coming home from quiz night not reeking of stale fags, not to mention sore throat and red eyes(such a good look!). some of of best friends are smokers, some have already given up,which makes me happy in as much as hopefully they'll be around for longer!
people keep talking about freedom of choice, nanny state etc. but seem to brush over the fact that non smokers should have the freedom of choice to be able to sit in a social environment that isn't our own home, without putting our health at risk, and using the arguments about drinking , eating unhealthy foods etc. doesn't wash, people doing that next to me in a pub or club does not DIRECTLY affect my health and the surroundings. And point of fact is I no more think people that are alcoholic should be given liver transplants if they're not making at least an effort to give up drinking, and more help should be given to support those who want and need to live a healtier lifestyle, for example, gym memberships, practical dietary advice(which personally i think should be done from day one of what used to be called 'home economics' not designing pizza boxes, but learning how to make good, healthy food without relying on convenience foods that are laden with salt, fats sugars etc.)
Having said all this, i've probably only got a few delightful months left of non smoking areas to go to Spain where smoking bans are ignored!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:04 am
BE Enthusiast

maryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond reputemaryann has a reputation beyond repute

i agree with the home economics comment. I think too many people think it is degrading for a women to have the ability to cook a three course meal and put it down for her family to enjoy, apparently in modern society it is the done thing to go out and pay through the nose for something some one else has cooked.
If there is anything I want I make sure my hubby has his favorite dinner cooked and put on the table, then I know he cant resist my needs! I dont care if thats old fashioned, and I am not an old fashioned girl, but I do find it easier in Spain to bring my family up eating home cooked food, round a table, together, every night. ( late afternoon!), no TV, and the art of conversation is not dead in my house, talk about rod for your back, my two little ones dont shut up!

Phew, I have a few soap boxes on the go this morning, I do apoligise!

As for the smoking, my friends have always respected we dont smoke, and we have respected they do, they have an ash tray outside when they visit, and in the winter ( this was in the uk) we put up the umbrella and lit the patio heater!
love

mary
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:14 am
Fed up in England!!

silverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to beholdsilverchick is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by maryann
i agree with the home economics comment. I think too many people think it is degrading for a women to have the ability to cook a three course meal and put it down for her family to enjoy, apparently in modern society it is the done thing to go out and pay through the nose for something some one else has cooked.
If there is anything I want I make sure my hubby has his favorite dinner cooked and put on the table, then I know he cant resist my needs! I dont care if thats old fashioned, and I am not an old fashioned girl, but I do find it easier in Spain to bring my family up eating home cooked food, round a table, together, every night. ( late afternoon!), no TV, and the art of conversation is not dead in my house, talk about rod for your back, my two little ones dont shut up!

Phew, I have a few soap boxes on the go this morning, I do apoligise!

As for the smoking, my friends have always respected we dont smoke, and we have respected they do, they have an ash tray outside when they visit, and in the winter ( this was in the uk) we put up the umbrella and lit the patio heater!
love

mary
but i also think boys should be taught to cook too!! one of the bugbears in this house is that its always down to me to think of dinne, even if i've been at work it doesn't occur to H.G to even have got a meal out of the freezer! my own fault i suppose for trying to impress him when we first met by cooking all this lovely food. Sometimes I cook something new, he doesn't even say a word!! just eats it!! GRRRRRRR!!! AND ON THE ODD OCCASION HE HAS COOKED i'M EXPECTED TO DO CARTWHEELS!!!!

f there is anything I want I make sure my hubby has his favorite dinner cooked and put on the table, then I know he cant resist my needs! I

YOU LITTLE MINX!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:15 am
Senior Moment

Mitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond reputeMitzyboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
but i also think boys should be taught to cook too!! one of the bugbears in this house is that its always down to me to think of dinne, even if i've been at work it doesn't occur to H.G to even have got a meal out of the freezer! my own fault i suppose for trying to impress him when we first met by cooking all this lovely food. Sometimes I cook something new, he doesn't even say a word!! just eats it!! GRRRRRRR!!! AND ON THE ODD OCCASION HE HAS COOKED i'M EXPECTED TO DO CARTWHEELS!!!!
f there is anything I want I make sure my hubby has his favorite dinner cooked and put on the table, then I know he cant resist my needs! I
YOU LITTLE MINX!!!!
What can I say ...... I've already explained my culinary expertise once on here

If it were left to me we would have all expired of starvation a long long time ago
Old Jul 1st 2007, 11:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Thats a good point, I shall start this afternoon and Take my little Charlie in the kitchen and start him off!!!!!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:03 pm
Mucho Macho

XTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond reputeXTreme has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by silverchick
You really need to move to Spain, you can smoke the most disgusting smelling fags, drive like a maniac, eat lard if you like, talk on your mobile whislst lighting up a fag and holding churros in the other hand!!!
Don't forget FOUR on a moped, helmetless, while swigging beer! No....I'm not joking!
Old Jul 1st 2007, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

montgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond reputemontgomail has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rugbymatt

That's me and I agree. I was desperate to get to the pub last night for a last ciggie with a G&T, knowing I would never have that experience again. Couldnt get a sitter though, so it's gone forever now.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 7:30 pm

crispy will become famous soon enoughcrispy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by keithwalters
Well you are part way there. Now all you need to do is make a couple of mates sit behind you, stick a small child between your legs who can peer over the handlebars and tuck a dog under one of your arms and you will fit right in here in Spain!

phew Keith, I thought you wrote pee over the handlebars, that's a new one on me I was thinking then re-read it.
Old Jul 1st 2007, 8:34 pm
Young at heart

jandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond reputejandy44 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Guys,well last night we were invited to a night club,the first time Id been in one for years,we went to see a tribute band Madness,incidently they were very good,anyway I was surprised to find when we arrived there ,that there was ashtrays on ALL the tables,no area was sectioned off for the smokers,well has the evening wore on I did notice that there were a few smokers ,but compared to the amount of people attended they were a definite minority,the club was a far cry from a smokey atmosphere you may expect from a night club,myself and my husband can hold our hands up and say we both smoke,I admit not the best of habits ,but I can think of worse ones.We are very considerate has far has our habit goes,we never smoke in other people houses and respect other people around us,if like last night we go out with non-smokers we leave the table and go and light up somewhere else,we dont even smoke in our own house if we are in the company of others who dont.........we do respect the non smokers around us.
A packet of cigs costs near on five pounds at least three pounds of that is tax going to the revenue,now think about it ,if a million people say give up smoking today , that is minimum three million pounds a day just gone in lost revenue,a staggering 21 million a week and a more staggering BILLION a year minimum,now this is if just a million people kick the habit today,bearing in mind the revenue that is acquired from smokers is helping to sustain the national health,then I think the red carpet should be rolled out for the treatment of smokers,however I pay for all my prescriptions ,I have never attended the hospital for a smoke related problem in my life.
Well after saying this have a think about where a lot of this revenue is going,smokers have been targeted ,but we do pay for the habit. Look at our town centres on a week end,they all have to have extra police to control the drunken louts that take over the cities and towns,some of these people are taken to the local A&E for treatment the other ones are taken to police cells for drunken and disorderly behaviour how much revenue is being used for this, not only that all the major sports events especially football have to have extra resources to control the problems of antisocial behaviour,not to mention the problems of drug related issues,the crime and destruction these people bring to themselves and the cost to society.
I agree that in work places etc. it should be a smoke free environment and in more public places as in shopping centres and airports ect. and this has been the case for a number of years now and rightly so. But I believe to make all pubs smoke free is going to have a impact on the trade of pulicans.Already a lot of the pubs where one could go for a quick drink after work or to go for a few hours with friends on an evening have turned into eating places that serve the cheapest of meals, and lots of these are already struggling for trade offering two for one crap meals to get the custom.
Lets face it ,how many of non-smokers actually spend much time in a pub anyway,I mean a propper pub where maybe a few brickies for instance may gather for a few pints after work.
Anyway this is a subject that could raise lots of different opinions , but at the end of the day my O/H and myself pay our taxes, he pays thirty something pounds a week in national insurance , and for each packet of cigs we choose to buy we pay another three pounds in tax ,this is our choice,we do not expect anything for nothing,and if God forbid any of us needed hospital attention for a smoke related disease ,then I think over the years we have paid in for it ,goodness knows what with all the stealth taxes we have paid over the years damned right we are as entitled has the next person thats paid their taxes all their working life.
Just for the record before I get shot down in flames,I do believe that smoking is a bad habit and not good for the health,it is all the things people say ,it does stink ect. but at the end of the day it is and ought to be my choice, if someone chooses to drink or take hard drugs or pig out on choclates and cakes well thats their lookout just the same.Im afraid we live in a world that is far from perfect,smoking may not be good but there are certainly worse issues that could be addressed......... Im off for a cig
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:22 pm
Banned

Big Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond reputeBig Pete has a reputation beyond repute

Well put ...jandy 44 ....
Old Jul 1st 2007, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

leighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond reputeleighbloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Pete
Well put ...jandy 44 ....
What he said!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.