Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SmartyDns on Samsung Smart TV with Vodafone broadband

SmartyDns on Samsung Smart TV with Vodafone broadband

Old Sep 30th 2014, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

siteservices is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SmartyDns on Samsung Smart TV with Vodafone broadband

good evening my partner is currently trying to sort our TV out by using SmartyDNS on our F Series Samsung Smart TV. Has followed all advice on here including the Youtube tutorial on EyeonDemand and cannot get it to work. Has anyone succeeded in this using Vodafone for their internet provider please as we're wondering if this could be the problem. He's now spent 2 full days including using the Smarty online help people to no avail and we would really appreciate any advice of why this may be. He's heading back home on Thursday so running out of time!
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SmartyDns on Samsung Smart TV with Vodafone broadband

Originally Posted by siteservices
good evening my partner is currently trying to sort our TV out by using SmartyDNS on our F Series Samsung Smart TV. Has followed all advice on here including the Youtube tutorial on EyeonDemand and cannot get it to work. Has anyone succeeded in this using Vodafone for their internet provider please as we're wondering if this could be the problem. He's now spent 2 full days including using the Smarty online help people to no avail and we would really appreciate any advice of why this may be. He's heading back home on Thursday so running out of time!
I have the H series on Orange. So I cant directly compare. But I dont think the network provider will be the problem. Itd help if you let us know at what point is he stuck?

Has he put the Smarty DNS on the router?
Has he managed to get into the installer menu to selct UK APPs?
(you will be able to access this UK App installer menu regardless of any other settings)
Old Sep 30th 2014, 6:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

probably need to change the region on the telly too (assuming you can't see the UK app store). It's what I had to do.

see this:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/middl...online-842382/

(post 10)
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Hi thanks for replies. As far as I can make out he's put the new IP address in on the TV but the TV still thinks it is in Spain so no UK apps are appearing. He is unable to watch BBC iplayer via the web browser as the TV thinks he is in Spain (which of course he is) so it seem the DNS isn't working. He's been through the procedures several times with no success. We did read somewhere just before he went about this incompatibility with some TVs via the Vodafone internet but thought we'd try anyway and can't remember where we read it.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Millhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond reputeMillhouse has a reputation beyond repute

Hi thanks for replies. As far as I can make out he's put the new IP address in on the TV but the TV still thinks it is in Spain so no UK apps are appearing. He is unable to watch BBC iplayer via the web browser as the TV thinks he is in Spain (which of course he is) so it seem the DNS isn't working. He's been through the procedures several times with no success. We did read somewhere just before he went about this incompatibility with some TVs via the Vodafone internet but thought we'd try anyway and can't remember where we read it.
did you read my post? The TV is region locked. change the region - nothing to do with the ip address/dns... that's a different problem (that you also need to solve but probably have)
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

yes I did read your post and read all the posts on the links and I am pretty sure he has followed that procedure as it is what we read up about before he left. I am sending him links to all these links to help him. It could be just one simple thing he is doing wrong but he has it all printed out (obviously it might be slightly different as we are using SmartDNS rather than Unlocator)
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

t2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond reputet2uds has a reputation beyond repute

yes I did read your post and read all the posts on the links and I am pretty sure he has followed that procedure as it is what we read up about before he left. I am sending him links to all these links to help him. It could be just one simple thing he is doing wrong but he has it all printed out (obviously it might be slightly different as we are using SmartDNS rather than Unlocator)
It sounds like he isnt managing to do the remote sequence properly -which tells the TV it can download the UK apps. Took me a few attempts until I did it fast enough!

Also, Tell him to log into the WIFI router and insert the DNS number from Smarty onto the router itself. He can still leave that setting in the TV also, but by putting it on the router it means everything (laptops etc) runs through the SmartyDns service.

Good luck
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

thank you we'll need it. He might be a bit reluctant to try it on the router as if that goes wrong we won't even be able to use the internet! Is there a link for doing that do you know as we had never considered that route. thanks
Old Sep 30th 2014, 7:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

thank you we'll need it. He might be a bit reluctant to try it on the router as if that goes wrong we won't even be able to use the internet! Is there a link for doing that do you know as we had never considered that route. thanks
if you can't see the apps, then you TV is on the wrong region. It is nothing to do with the DNS.

If you do see the apps, but they don't work, then it's the DNS.

it took me at least 5 goes to get that sequence to work. and you have to be on the right T+C page before you start.

try this:

https://support.unlocator.com/custom...msung-smart-tv

Last edited by Millhouse; Sep 30th 2014 at 8:02 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

yes thanks for that Millhouse I think I saw that on one of the links and I am sending him all the posts on here for him to start afresh tomorrow
Old Oct 1st 2014, 1:31 am
Started off with nothing

missile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond reputemissile has a reputation beyond repute

In the settings for the Samsung you can set the UK post code
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by missile
In the settings for the Samsung you can set the UK post code
Yes...but back to basics. He has to get in that menu first
First thing before he does anything is to sort out the handset sequence.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

He's just looked at another site and found that SmartyDNS is not supported by Vodafone (or vice versa) What a waste of time but don't suppose DmartyDNS will want to publicise the fact. We are now wondering whether to risk getting another free trial from elsewhere or leaving it as he's flying back home tomorrow. Will we be able to just replace the SmartyDNS settings with the ones from the new provider or will he have to go back to the original Samsung settings? (hope he's kept a note). Why is it that everything that is so simple for everyone else is an absolute nightmare for us?
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

We're completely stumped. Apparently vodafone does not support any DNS as it has some sort of DNS hijack system which makes it impossible to use any form of DNS. He has found a reasonably priced VPN system but apparently you can't use it with Smart TVs. Any advice would be welcome - it's costing us a fortune in flights trying to sort this out (it took 5 months and I don't know how much on flights to even get the internet sorted out)
Old Oct 1st 2014, 8:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

We're completely stumped. Apparently vodafone does not support any DNS as it has some sort of DNS hijack system which makes it impossible to use any form of DNS. He has found a reasonably priced VPN system but apparently you can't use it with Smart TVs. Any advice would be welcome - it's costing us a fortune in flights trying to sort this out (it took 5 months and I don't know how much on flights to even get the internet sorted out)
why flights to sort out the TV?

put the VPN on the router. Some routers will do that. Then all internet traffic goes through the VPN.

You may want two routers - (plug them into each other) - one running the VPN network, the other not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.