Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Spain
Reload this Page >

SmartSat TV, has anyone tried it or know about it?

SmartSat TV, has anyone tried it or know about it?

Old Apr 18th 2015, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

werlynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SmartSat TV, has anyone tried it or know about it?

I am unable to get any form of economical Internet apart from an expensive 3G dongle which we use for internet. I have been told about a company called Smartsat TV which is some sort of re broadcasting system that does not require internet. My local satellite engineer who to be fair is very reliable has quoted me 534Euro for Installation of the kit and a permanent charge of 25Euro per month. This sounds quite expensive especially as we are not here for about 6 months of the year.
I am also unsure about the quality of TV service, has anyone any experience of the system and is the pricing reasonable?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

olivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond reputeolivefarmer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SmartSat TV, has anyone tried it or know about it?

You don't say in your profile what area you are in when you are in Spain.

There are plenty of systems available to obtain some or every UK channel. If you google Intelsat907 you will pick up threads on Expat forums for that. It may well be that this is what your local sat engineer is referring to. If so the monthly charge seems a lot. People around here manage their own for free with a lower install fee assuming it is a simkple instal.

Some areas can still recieve Sky broadcasts with modest dishes.

Hope that helps. If you have a look back through this or other Expoat forums there are plenty of Brit TV threads. You could go native and have Spanish dig TV through a simple aerial. Help you with your Spanish and some of the programmes are broadcast in English and Spanish.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:12 pm
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

If you are in an area like the Costa Blanca, Valencia area, the freesat - offering the main uk tv channels should be available with a one off installation free of about 400 euros... no monthly charge.

other area like CdS, that is when things get tick. as the "Freesat" signals require a very very large satellite dish.

but the "intelsat" system mean you are hacking into encrypted feeds (ie read illegally gaining access to). access depends on codes to access the system. these codes change about every 2 or 3 months (at the moment). codes which are available for free if you know where to look on the internet. if someone provides a system where they charging 25 euros per month for this system is, to be honest, taking the piss...

but some companies offer a rebroadcast system where you connect to their own "private" retransmission system. where they offer channels, that may be available for free on satellite (if you can receive those signals), but I not then you rely on their "third party" offering.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 5:23 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
these codes change about every 2 or 3 months (at the moment). codes which are available for free if you know where to look on the internet. if someone provides a system where they charging 25 euros per month for this system is, to be honest, taking the piss...
Strangely the codes haven't changed for over 6 months now - that of course could change. Maybe they have given up as the outage is usually a few hours before someone cracks the codes and posts them on the Internet.

I agree, if anyone is charging for monthly access it's a real rip-off. Even on the CDS, where it is the only viable system for the UK PSB channels, the usual TV crooks don't seem to have the nerve to charge - they do front load the equipment and install charge to make up for it though.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 9:54 pm
Just Joined

werlynne is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the info so far.... I am in the Costa Del Sol near Mijas in the Campo.
Old Apr 18th 2015, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

big wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond reputebig wheels has a reputation beyond repute

25Euros per month for something that is freely available is a rip off.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:12 am
Was called something else

The Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond reputeThe Guy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fred James
Strangely the codes haven't changed for over 6 months now.
last code change was on 12/12/14....
Old Apr 19th 2015, 7:47 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by werlynne
I am unable to get any form of economical Internet apart from an expensive 3G dongle which we use for internet. I have been told about a company called Smartsat TV which is some sort of re broadcasting system that does not require internet. My local satellite engineer who to be fair is very reliable has quoted me 534Euro for Installation of the kit and a permanent charge of 25Euro per month. This sounds quite expensive especially as we are not here for about 6 months of the year.
I am also unsure about the quality of TV service, has anyone any experience of the system and is the pricing reasonable?
Any help or advice would be appreciated.
If it is a private rebroadcast from something like SKY, then it's almost certainly illegal, and will be closed down at some time, perhaps the day after you get it. Usually in these cases they are raoded and all their equipments seized, so you then get nothing. This was rife on the Costa Blanca a few years ago, some started again, others didn't and spent time in jail. We switched our TV on every night not knowing whether we would get a signal or not.
Old Apr 19th 2015, 3:02 pm

Fred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond reputeFred James has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Guy
last code change was on 12/12/14....
I checked, and you are quite right, as usual!

I had forgotten that one as it went off at 3pm and my supplier emailed me the codes at 5 pm so apart from a couple of hours losing Radio 2 I hardly noticed it!
Old Apr 20th 2015, 9:48 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

Werlynne, firstly do you have wireless internet? if so you just need apple TV plugged into your smart TV you can then mirror your i Phone to your TV Simples and just watch filmon using your i phone free APP as a remote comntrol. Its the chapest way. When i am in spain the inertnet costs me 18 Euro's or 7 when i am not there for a whole month. Thats the total cost........
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Wilsman what provider do you use?
Old Apr 20th 2015, 10:18 am
BE Enthusiast

wilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond reputewilsman77 has a reputation beyond repute

I have a holiday home in the Costa Blanca (Cabo Roig Nr Torrevieja) i use Telecable. They installed 4MB internet for me at a cost of 59.00€ and 18€ per month when in use 7,87€ when not in use.

Fran is brilliant and speaks/is English arranged the istall for the day i arrived highly recomended. E-mail address below.

[email protected]
Old Apr 20th 2015, 11:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Dondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond reputeDondurma has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you very much